Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner

Zipperlip pond fishing report

2K views 13 replies 9 participants last post by  bennysbuddy 
#1 ·
First off, I'd like to apologize to anyone who thinks I should tell them were I fished today. Thats not happening.

The body of water in question was stocked by my club, as a test. We wanted to see if it would make a good candidate for the quality water program. As this lake is open, you can see why we have to keep it quiet.

I fished it today for the first time. Fished a Clear int. with a olive wolly. Some black mig. coming off but NO surface activity, so the dry flies stayed dry. Fishing was good if slow. Water was really cold. I guess the fish were as well. Averaged about one fish every 30min. The club put a few big ones in and I managed to hook three of them.

I was really shocked how fat they were. well feed. Got to say, they didn't put up nearly the fight I expected. The biggest was 22" and I could of handled him on a 3wt. no problem. 5wt was overkill. Not because I'm some kind of super fisherman. (I am) But because the fish once hooked, acted like brood stock. I had to strip them all in to keep tension on them. Hopefully they will perk up with some warmer weather.

After a couple of fun but fruitless steelhead trips, it's kind of nice to stick a few. Good day:thumb:

See less See more
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.