Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner

NFR: And now wolves in the Teanaway drainage

34K views 192 replies 58 participants last post by  fshflthnkng 
#1 ·
#61 ·
The good news is with the wolves in the Teanaway it will only be a short period of time, before urban residents west of the Cascades will be dealing with the wolves.

I suspect this will be a much more civilized discussion, than previous issues that were just limited to eastern Washington like hound hunting with dogs, and bears.

The Siberian tigers have moved into the city limits of Vladivostok looking for easy meals. Now they are a solitary animal, not a pack like wolves, but I can see the wolves moving in the Cedar drainage and others in western Washington fairly quickly. When my mother lived in Belorus there were always wolves around the villages. This will be the first time that the fringes of a American urban area will probably have an major predator in it, besides the solitary mountain lion.

#63 ·
The good news is with the wolves in the Teanaway it will only be a short period of time, before urban residents west of the Cascades will be dealing with the wolves.

I suspect this will be a much more civilized discussion, than previous issues that were just limited to eastern Washington like hound hunting with dogs, and bears.
vlad,

western washington is not just seattle. banning hound hunting and using bait impacted lots of hunters in western washington.

G
#67 ·
Why is it that when a bear or coyote enters a liberals nieghborhood they demand that it is traped and destroyed. But they demand the end of trapping yet they wear fur coats.They outlawed hound hunting even thou only a small amout of the animals treed were killed,(if you shoot every animal treed soon there will be nothing to chase, and to a hound man the pursit is what its all about)but we hunt down every animal in our urban parks in the name of public saftey, isn't it nature that we a searching for while at the park a coyote snatching your dog and eatting it in front of you is all part of the cruel realitys of nature eat or be eaten thats the law of nature. So when a wolf eats your pet E-mail me so I can have a good laugh!!!!

#73 ·
Why is it that when a bear or coyote enters a liberals nieghborhood they demand that it is traped and destroyed. But they demand the end of trapping yet they wear fur coats.They outlawed hound hunting even thou only a small amout of the animals treed were killed,(if you shoot every animal treed soon there will be nothing to chase, and to a hound man the pursit is what its all about)but we hunt down every animal in our urban parks in the name of public saftey, isn't it nature that we a searching for while at the park a coyote snatching your dog and eatting it in front of you is all part of the cruel realitys of nature eat or be eaten thats the law of nature. So when a wolf eats your pet E-mail me so I can have a good laugh!!!!
So why do you think that everyone that lives in an urban area is a liberal? If this were true, Rand Paul, Michelle Bachman and their ilk would never have been elected. This is the same type of crap thinking that somebody else posted here earlier about wolves hunting down elk and deer and leaving their uneaten carcasses laying around the wilderness. What right wing garbage.

You are privileged to walk this earth. Leave as light a footprint as you can so that your children and grandchildren can enjoy nature in all its diversity.

#79 ·
circle the wagons martha, break out the powder, THE WOLVES ARE COMING..............THE WOLVES ARE COMING..............all wemin and childrin get under cover.................THE WOLVES ARE COMING..................

what a bunch of red neck BS.

#84 ·
Wolves introduced? Or re-introduced, or retaking what was once theirs. I remembering reading some report in a magazine (name)? about the deterioration and erosion of river banks in an area due to the elk and other wild life that were populating out of control and eating vegetation along the river banks. It use to be the wolves helped control the population, but the wolves had been hunted and flushed out of the region, and with no natural predators the elk and others were wrecking havoc on mother nature. Messing with mother nature brings unintended harms....let nature be. Nature = Balance

#85 ·
Exactly! I think I read the same regarding Yellowstone. Overgrazing along the stream banks. One of the benefits of wolves, definitely. Now the willows grow, the streams are cooler, the trout are more abundant, and, larger.

#135 ·
Is it fair to compare the ecosystem of Yellowstone NP to the ecosystem of the Teanaway drainage or the Cascades in general. Do we have deer and elk populations so high that they're destroying streams?
According to an article in the Seattle times (Feb 2010?)...yes. There was a story about how Elk in the ONP (not the cascades) were overgrazing due to the lack of predators (wolves) and causing certain types of vegetation to become far more rare than they should be thus degraging streamside vegetation.

WOLVES ARE A NATURAL PART OF OUR ECOSYSTEM. FACT

#87 ·
No Mumbles, I got it: The liberals vs. conservatives thing is a diversion. I think those of you opposed to wolves are just worried that your sexual partners (sheep, cattle) will go missing.

#93 ·
For the record, I could care less really. Like I said, I'm with Roper. Why does it always have to become an "us vs them"? That goes for both sides.

My point is that they become a problem when introduced, re-introduced, whatever. Not picking sides like some are here, I'd like to think I'm smarter than that.

I wonder if the word "Brilliant" will be used should they become a problem like they have everywhere else? Personally I hope not, but we'll see.

Arguing with the "icons" of this forum is like wrestling with a pig in the mud. After a while, you realize the pig enjoys it.

#99 ·
Bitterroot has a pair of velcro hip waders. He's admitted this much around a camp fire. I think he has more secrets to reveal...and I'm not sure I want to hear about them.

#100 ·
BTW: Family members over in the Blue Mtns of SE WA recently saw several elk calves killed alongside a gravel road -- hit by farm pickup trucks. Clearly its time to declare open season on Ford F150s to save the elk! They kill indiscriminately and don't even eat what they kill!:rofl::rofl:

#106 ·
Hey Mumbles, who's Mother Nature here? Did they come back on their own? Or did we humans reintroduce them?

I'm a firm believer that we, mankind, have not been a very good steward of what we've been entrusted with. I'm simply, again, agreeing with others like the Old Man, that evidence shows they typically become a problem. I don't like it anymore than you. It's just what the evidence proves. Say what you will, Montana is a prime example.

#107 ·
Hey, while we're at it....let's start a campaign for getting our rivers restocked with the Squaw Fish! Why is there a bounty on them? Cause we love our steelhead...am I right?

How is that any different than guys loving to hunt for elk or deer? I think it's called "double standard".

#114 ·
I8, was this pack introduced? What do you know that I have not read about this pack being dropped off here by some bucket biologist? If the pack grows rapidly, kills indiscriminately and threatens other populations they can be regulated without being eradicated, no?

#124 ·
Yes they can. If you go back and read my posts, I'm simply stating that they usually do become a problem. If they do, we can start issuing tags to control them. I also stated that I hope it doesn't come to that, but the evidence shows that typically they do. Again, I could care less.

That being said, I will admit that I don't know that they were "dumped" into the system. However that being said, when or where have the wolves ever shown up anywhere where they were not a result of a transplant.

I think, whether you want to believe it or not, that you and I agree. Hooray for the wolves! If they become a problem, they'll have to be dealt with - not saying eradicated. Please, (meant sincerely) don't lump me in with those who want to "kill them all". Although I do understand where they are coming from. A person can sympathize with where they are coming from and still disagree. I think it's called being a "grown up". <- Not aimed at you by the way.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.