Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner

July Fly Salon

4K views 29 replies 9 participants last post by  kelvin 
#1 ·
Sorry I didn't get on it sooner. I have been having some camera troubles, so all I have right now is some older shots.
Steelhead Wet Flies:
Looking forward to seeing some cool flies!

See less See more
#10 ·
Although Harry Lemire is always rmembered for his tied-in-hand Atlantic salmon flies, his legacy included a lot of interesting and innovative steelhead patterns as well. Best-known is probably the Grease-Liner, but here are a couple more; the Thompson River Caddis and the Fall Caddis. The two differ mostly in the Thompson River Caddis' use of pheasant "church window" feathers laid flat and the Fall Caddis' paired and tented hen hackle wings.

Attachments

#17 ·
Awesome flies everyone!

thought I'd throw one in for fun.
This is now the first steelhead fly I've tied. Very much enjoying these Salon threads.
Feather Wing Tail Fish Electric blue

mlwebb, never seen anything like that "thorax" on the feather body. Love the look.

#20 ·
Thank you gentlemen.
Hook: Alec Jackson Spey, 1.5
Tag: silver tinsel, Alec Jackson Buttercup yellow silk floss
Tail: Crest, died orange-red
Body: Dyed Starling feathers, tied in individually around the body, finishing with a pinch of black dubbing.
Hackle: Blue-Eared Pheasant, dyed black
Collar: Teal flank
Wing: natural Amherst, dyed Turkey Tail
Cheeks: Two pheasant rump, dyed black, tented
Jungle cock
Dave McNeese's Red Wing (see John Shewey's "Steelhead Flies" for a step by step), and John Popkin Traherne's Chatterer are a couple examples of feather bodies, - when I saw some dyed Starling, it looked ideal for a test of the technique. They require a bit of patience to tie, but really pop in the water :)

Here is another, in a single body color:

Michael

#22 ·
Re dyed starling, I found the first few at The Caddis Fly (Eugene, OR or online), they are a Hareline Dubbin product, so most any fly shop should be able to order. A couple I dyed myself, but the ones I bought were brighter - took more dye than I was expecting, I guess the skin soaks it up.
Michael

#25 ·
Use of Starling: Last year, I ran out of Jungle Cock eyes. Looking for a substitute, I picked up a $5 starling skin and was surprised at the variety of feathers. So, I used Starling until I could find some suitable Jungle Cock. Starling is sometimes referred to as the "Poor Man's Jungle Cock". The feathers, however, aren't quite as durable as Jungle Cock. "Dave's Mistake" is a Dave McNeese pattern.
Violet Creative arts Feather Magenta Electric blue

Jack

This post has been deleted
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.