Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner

7 Guys who have never fly fished before...

3K views 25 replies 16 participants last post by  Jim B 
#1 ·
I'm taking a group of buddies.... 7 guys.... fly fishing with Jim Kerr. Most of them have never been fishing... much less fly fishing... much less for steelhead.

I cannot wait to see what happens. I figure if we're incredibly lucky, ONE guy will make it to the water and catch a fish before the entire hole clears out from 7 orangutans splashing around like itchy lepers.

I'm thinking about buying a go pro. First, to catch the guy's reaction who staked out a SICK RUN all to HIMSELF in the dark..... only to see seven guys come out of the woods one after the other. HAHA. Then, to see all absolute hell break loose when a guy who has never even caught a baby trout hooks into a wild hyena of a dime bright steelhead (and I'm only telling them we're "trout" fishing). I know I'm breaking all sorts of religious steelhead code with this endeavor, but this is going to be priceless.

What's the over under on how long that fish is on? 10 seconds?

This post has been deleted
#9 ·
In all honesty - we wouldn't jump into a spot where someone else already is. There's more than enough places over there to move along.

I heard about that happening on a river in the SE though... pretty damn funny. It was a class of 10 practicing spey casts.... the guy stood there and watched and 10 people all came out of the bushes one by one... then just shook his head and left. I wish I would've been there for that one.

#13 ·
Jesse,

You must be one sick F'er. I can't name all the sins you're proposing. I thought you liked Kerr. Why would you do something like this to him? No matter how much you pay him, it's a waste of his good time and a waste of potential steelhead fishing space. Even if you and all your buddies fall in and get soaked head to toe, I don't don't see any priceless in this event, but no lack of violating ever religious steelhead code there is or ever could be.

As for hooking steelhead, ain't gonna' happen if your group is fly fishing. If you had any couth or self respect whatever, you'd take your buddies to Green Lake or some similar harmless place. But since it looks like you've booked Kerr for this worthless event, you really owe everyone here fair warning of when and where you're going to be so that we can all avoid you like the plague your group will be. Thanks in advance, and I hope you all survive.

Sg

G
#19 ·
Jesse,

You must be one sick F'er. I can't name all the sins you're proposing. I thought you liked Kerr. Why would you do something like this to him? No matter how much you pay him, it's a waste of his good time and a waste of potential steelhead fishing space. Even if you and all your buddies fall in and get soaked head to toe, I don't don't see any priceless in this event, but no lack of violating ever religious steelhead code there is or ever could be.

As for hooking steelhead, ain't gonna' happen if your group is fly fishing. If you had any couth or self respect whatever, you'd take your buddies to Green Lake or some similar harmless place. But since it looks like you've booked Kerr for this worthless event, you really owe everyone here fair warning of when and where you're going to be so that we can all avoid you like the plague your group will be. Thanks in advance, and I hope you all survive.

Sg
if he has the money to pay for it and wants to take the 7 dwarves he has every right. Everyone has the same right to the river given that they are fishing legal.

I guess he is an asshole too for supporting local guidee jim kerr with 7+1 clients for a day as well.

#25 ·
I'm taking a group of buddies.... 7 guys.... fly fishing with Jim Kerr. Most of them have never been fishing... much less fly fishing...
So.....God bless you for introducing them to the joys of fishing in general and specifically, of tossin' flies to fish!

Whether they're duffers or not and land fish or not, they will learn and experience the rewards of fishing.

After all, it's really not about the catching! :)

Reactions: JesseC
#26 ·
I'm taking a group of buddies.... 7 guys.... fly fishing with Jim Kerr. Most of them have never been fishing... much less fly fishing... much less for steelhead.
We are going to be fishing the Skagit. Which as you know is no secret. Pretty much guarantee a couple hookups a day for winter swinging.

1) I didn't know that Jim Kerr guides on the Skagit....I thought he only pulls the oars on the OP.
2) If you're gonna fish the Skagit, you better hurry....the Skagit below Rockport, and the Sauk, close tomorrow, and the upper Skagit closes Feb 15th.
3) A couple of hook-ups a day, with 7 guys who haven't been steelhead flyfishing, on the Skagit, with high flows anticipated in the near future as snow levels go up to 6,000 ft? Maybe....

Of course, this could all be a ruse to throw us off, and keep the film crews from the river that you're actually gonna fish, right?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.