Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner

Orvis 2013 Battenkill Fly Reel

14K views 55 replies 22 participants last post by  formerguide 
#1 ·
Posted this on other thread but it is long winded.....but I think Orvis on to something here.... click on to reel and get more info...i think it works?

See less See more
#39 ·
Mark
It is unfortunate that you took some of these posts personally.

It is clear from your past posts that you put a lot of thought into your equipment and the fact that you have made the effort to buy good quality used reels (with or without disk drags) seems to indicate that you agree that full retail prices are ridiculous. Combined with the fact that you consistently and successfully target very large trout puts you solidly in the vast minority of consumers.

This is in no way an apology as I stand firmly behind my opinions but more a statement of what I believe to be the facts.

TC

Reactions: Drifter
#43 ·
So Kent, calling people that use these disc drag reels geeks and newbies fits right in with your better than thou attitude towards the masses. why? who the hell are you - that you should be the reel judge of fly fisherman. I caught hundreds of steel on click and pawls in the 70's , 80's and 90's on one handed rods no less. now I have a choice of bigger spools and better drags so why not?
Your "want" and "need" words are for who? - the newbies - the geeks - because most everyone that posts on this site seem to know exactly what they are doing and know the difference between "want" and "need" - having nice gear after years of going cheap or inexpensive to you is only for the geeks and newbies, because that's how your post comes off.

So what are we teaching here to the new guy? your an idiot for buying a disc drag reel? yeah that's it make them feel inferior? why? to make yourself feel better because you like click and pawls? because "YOU" don't think anyone "needs" a disc drag. Or should ever "want" one. do you sell click and pawls?

So what companies do not sell click and pawls now? The new companies? because Orvis and hardy always have and always will hopefully.

Why not just say you like your click and pawl reels and it does a good job on fish. why all the geeks and newbies name calling? I really don't get it! please explain where these kinds of post help?

The reason so many fisherman "HATE" fly fisherman is for this exact reason - nose in the air - better then thou - bashing - attitudes. almost every good fisherman has a fly rod. at some time in there life someone bought them one or it was handed down from grandpa or dad or an old friend and so many never even try it because of the attitude of "a lot of fly fisherman" the man I am teaching now stated he would of never done it if it wasn't for me because of the attitudes fly fisherman have. another guy I'm trying to get to try fly fishing has a old rocky mountain fly rod and ree with line but wants nothing to do with it because - how he states it --- 'better then thou attitudes" I will be working on him around the fire here in a couple weeks at a great eastern lake and hope I can get him to "TURN" I almost had him last spring but the "big issue" was the stopper.

I - having been in the sport for so long feel I have a responsibility to pass it on and have taught friends and family since I was in my teens. writing to cut people down with name calling about the gear they choose to use gets no one anywhere! someone paying $800 for a click and pawl and putting it on a 12 to 14 foot sturgeon rod to fish for steehead doesn't fit my mold either - doesn't mean I'm going to start calling them names over the internet.

JUST THE OTHER DAY THE OWNER OF A FLY SHOP WAS TALKING TO THIS GUY, THE GUY TOLD HIM HE CAST PRETTY GOOD OUT TO 75 FEET, THE OWNER (FLY FISHING GURU) TOLD HIM HE WAS WRONG - THAT ALMOST ALL FLY FISHERMAN REALLY ONLY CAST 40 TO 50 FEET! AND ARE ALWAYS WRONG WITH THE DISTANCE THEY CAST BY AT LEAST 15 TO 20 FEET AND THINK THEY CAST FATHER BUT ARE WRONG!

I couldn't believe what I was hearing. then the guy told the shop guy he cast with a tape and is sure he can cast and fish that far! I had to chime in and said if you have a 100 foot tape you can cast as far as you say. I couldn't believe the disrespect this guy had for other fly fisherman. but hey, he owns a shop so he must be right!

Kent, I like a lot of your posts and you post a lot on this main forum, great writer. but I do reserve the right to call "BULLSHIT" weather anyone else likes it or not.

#55 ·
So Kent, calling people that use these disc drag reels geeks and newbies fits right in with your better than thou attitude towards the masses. why? who the hell are you - that you should be the reel judge of fly fisherman. . . .
Wow Mark, what a surprising 'Good morning' present from you: A 702-word personal attack for having an opinion on an insignificant topic that happens to differ from yours.

Your earlier posts in this thread were by degrees increasingly more hostile and agitated, in stark contrast to your usual moderated and balanced contributions. Your latest rant confirms that you're either taking this FAR too personally, you're off your meds, or that there may possibly be some other issues in your life that are manifesting themselves through hostility. I hope whatever the root cause, you're able to come to grips with it and return to being a productive and balanced contributor.

K

#46 ·
Then you, sir, have not witnessed one of my epic trout battles. I generally employ the services of a nubile FF acolyte, whose duties include spotting the great beasts, oiling the pawl grease ports (or ladling cooling water on the smoking disk drag) during the hooked leviathan's final runs, and fetching beer. She must also display a rather pronounced inability to accurately judge a trout's length or girth, which is a distinct advantage in several respects.

#48 ·

On the Orvis page this morning! Also talked to one of the product development guys back east and the Battenkill II should be available next month. Rory called and you should be able to order in a week through the catalog, but hopefully we will have them in the shop soon!

#51 ·
I don't even use a reel who needs them

This post has been deleted
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.