Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner

Salmonfly/GS swap

Swap 
7K views 86 replies 8 participants last post by  clarkman 
#1 ·
Okay folks, this will be my first swap as swapmeister. Stonefly season is coming soon, and I only wish I had thought of doing this swap a little earlier, since we are now short on time.

We will be tying either a salmonfly or golden stone DRY fly, whichever species is your preference. The due date will be Friday, May 17th. Sorry about the somewhat short amount of time to complete these, ideally I would have thought of this a month ago. But this should mean we'll all get our flies back with enough time to fish them. PLEASE SEND THEM TO ME WITH A SELF-ADDRESSED AND PREPAID ENVELOPE, rather than just money.

We'll tie two patterns per swapper, minus yourself, so ten flies tied total.

What?: Salmonfly or golden stonefly dry
When?: Due Friday, May 17th.

1. Travis Bille- Salmulator- finished
2. Ben Swaner- received
3. Gary "shackleford" Knowels- received
4. Thom Collins
5. WABOWMAN
6. Randall Clark.- received

On Deck:
1. Mayfly Aviator

See less See more
#2 ·
ah man, i got a box PACKED with all sorts of foam, extended body, etc flies, golden stones mostly, but have almost no more materials for any more. i was actually considering hosting a golden stone dry swap for a few months now. ive been tyin foam dries all winter and am kinda sick of it, but if i can get the materials i need in a day or two ill be down if it doesnt fill up.

#9 ·
I've always wanted to be part of a swap but a little unsure if I have the chops. Here's an example. Not sure if it will pass as a Golden. Might be a bit long, 2" from head to tail tips and 1.5" to end of abdomen. If it's not up to snuff no hard feelings, seriously. It would serve as motivation to get better.
Insect Dragonflies and damseflies Dragonfly Arthropod Damselfly
Insect Arthropod Pest Wing Parasite
Tool Fish Font Metal Macro photography

#11 ·
I've always wanted to be part of a swap but a little unsure if I have the chops. Here's an example. Not sure if it will pass as a Golden. Might be a bit long, 2" from head to tail tips and 1.5" to end of abdomen. If it's not up to snuff no hard feelings, seriously. It would serve as motivation to get better. View attachment 26707 View attachment 26708 View attachment 26709
Sounds like the exact reason I started doing swaps, to get better. Thank you for joining! And that a fine looking fly!

#17 ·
You know, whatever you guys wanna do! Ill probably do two of the same just because I like my pattern so much, but if you want to do two different ones that would be great. I'm kinda surprised this didn't get more interest. I thought everyone loved a big juicy stonefly

#19 ·
I'm in if you'll have me. I'll tie up my variation of the Clark's Stone. I don't tie a pretty (to people) fly, but it's my goto when waters such as the Deschutes have been pounded into submission in the middle of the hatch and they start getting a little more selective (low-riding, easy casting, very buggy).

#28 ·
alright, don't judge until you slay the trouts with it...

It's my Clark's-ish stone. This is geared more towards Salmonflies with the larger size, and darker moose wing (sorry, photo's a little washed out). I'll tie up 5 of these and 5 with a lighter wing to look more like the goldens we have out here on the Deschutes. I've actually had more success with these than any other fly out there, even after the trouts have been pounded into submission by the hoards of other anglers...When you fish it, lather the entire thing up with floatant and go to town. The more that wing gets spread out, the better it fishes.

Cheers,
Randy

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.