Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner

Help identify this baitfish?

3K views 25 replies 13 participants last post by  plaegreid 
#1 ·
A coho I caught this past weekend underwent the usual search of the stomach to see if and what it had been eating. When I cut into the stomach I thought I had found a sculpin from the tail, but it kept getting longer and longer as I pulled it out, and I ended up with this fish that was close to 8" . Anyone know what it is? (the pic didn't turn out great, but it's all I got). There were some tiny spikes left from what must have been a long fin along the dorsal before it underwent partial digestion.
Wood Tool Cutting board Office ruler Knife

See less See more
#11 ·
Where's the fly for that thing?

#19 ·
Cool tie, plaegreid, though to match the one I found I think you'd need to double the length. That said, I would gladly fish that fly.
I figure there have to be little ones out there, right?

And I don't know how well it fishes, but I'll let y'all know when I try it out. Think I might want to throw some softex or something on about 3/4 of the mid-section to keep it all together.

#23 ·
That fish is called a gunnel. People mistakenly call them eels but true eels do not have pectoral fins. don't remember the scientific name at the moment. Gunnels are not common feed for salmon as they usually hide under or around rocks. This one must have been caught out in the open.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.