Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner

October Coho

2K views 17 replies 14 participants last post by  nailbender 
#1 ·
My beach season for silver salmon is pretty much done due to a river coho appointment next weekend, undone house chores, and the coming stormy weather. This weekend was going to be the final expedition, but maybe I can squeeze in one more morning if the weather and tides allow. Chrome October beach coho were around prior to this most recent weather front that's rolling through.

Fin Fish Marine biology Ray-finned fish Fish products

Food Vertebrate Fish Fish products Ray-finned fish

Thanks to everyone on the board who made this another great salmon season, especially Stonefish, Wolverine, Troutrageous, Blake, SciGuy, MtSkiBum, Nick Clayton, GoFish, DryFlyLarry, GT, and many others who shared reports and fly patterns. I also made some new gear/bait fishing friends this year and many of them are really amazingly experienced & skilled fishermen (cheaters all the same). The beaches were crowded this year, but it actually helped me to learn reading currents better and to change up my fishing routine. Spending a week at salmon camp with friends was the highlight of my summer and I enjoyed watching many silvers get hooked and landed. Now I just need to spend more time at the tying bench so I can nail more of those nippy coho!

See less See more
#5 ·
Nice fish Dime! I went 1 for 1 Saturday and 0 for 2 this morning (my fault and I'm still a little irritated because they were both nice fish!). They're still moving through for sure.

#6 ·
Wow, what a way to end the season! Those are some gorgeous fish. I spent more time on the beach this year chasing coho and loved it. Had too many come unpinned on me that included some nice ones. Thanks for the recap on the coho beach year, I might give it one more go this week and see what happens. I also met some great people and saw nice fish landed, but didn't get to spend a week a 'salmon camp', which sounds awesome.

Cheers to next years!

#7 ·
Tim,
Nice work on the coho this weekend and over the entire summer.
As always, it was a pleasure fishing with you. You've got the beach drill dialed.
Thanks again for hosting salmon camp. Hopefully next year we'll have two salmon camps.
It was great to fish again this summer with the many of the forum members you mentioned. I got to meet some new folks as well, including board members Matthew Gulbranson and Nailbender (Doug).
This season went by way to fast. No pinks next year so there should be more room to roam the beaches.
I will miss some of the antics though from the humpy crowds.
King! King! LOL ;)
SF

#11 ·
When I was growing up in Oregon my family set up deer or elk camps for hunting most years. This year I had 3 weeks extra vacation time and I used a week for nothing but beach fishing for coho (salmon camp). I slept in the back of my truck, fished all morning, napped, hiked, BBQed fresh coho with a G&T in my hand, and talked to lots of fellow fishermen. Time flew by and lots of coho were around that week. Brian, Eric, and Blake came out on the weekends and slew them. Two salmon camps next year sounds great to me Brian.

#15 ·
I guess I had a three day 'salmon camp'! Wife and kid went away for a few days and I got to play. Slept in the truck, took afternoon naps, ate crappy food and drank beer. It was awesome. I hope I get to do it again next year. Brian, it was great to meet you on the beaches as well. Hope we get to wet a line again soon and I get to see you land another hog (or me :)

Cheers,

Matthew

#16 ·
Nice fish!

It has been a great season for sure. I learned an awful lot this year. I'd say in many ways I learned more this year than any previous, and I was also more successful this year than any in the past.

I met a few new faces on the beach this season, and fished with a few of the regular Kitsap beach gang as well. I got out and fished out of a boat more than in years past, and while that will be more of my fishing in the future I could never, ever give up those mornings on the beach.

This morning's fishing reminded me that I better not be looking at chums too hard just yet! They are still around for sure.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.