Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner

Yarnies - Love or Hate?

34K views 504 replies 71 participants last post by  generic 
#1 ·
I called a NW Washington fly shop to get a little information for my upcoming trip to Forks. The salesman gave me great advice on where to float and where not to along with a lot of other great information. When I asked what flies to use, he told me Yarnies, which I had never heard of. He also told me how to fish them, which is very similar to nymph fishing here in Montana.

I did some Googling and found out more about them, but a lot sites were from spin fisherman. My thoughts are that they are just big Glo-bugs. I also fished with Jim Kerr two years ago and remembered these are what we used from his drift boat, but did not remember him calling the Yarnies.

My question to WFF, is what are your thoughts on Yarnies?

#403 ·
Like it or not that was a legally harvested fish and I suppose not one steelhead has been harvested by someone fishing with a nymph. Telling us about nymphers harvesting steelhead likely wouldn't fit with your particular brand of propaganda would it.

#411 ·
Heeheehee, this thread is AwESoMe!!!! Minus the dude molesting that beast... Even though my methods are sometimes unorthodox and straight dirty, I always show the fish love. If that guy is handling the fish like that, I hope he didn't try to "revive" it afterward. Gee!!

#412 ·
I'm thinking all of that minus the bobber/diver dilly and spin-n-glow would be very manageable on a fly rod, the action would probably be nice and the steelies would kill it. :D. Actually instead of the spin-n-glow you could put a piece of sequine in front of it for some added action. Very tempting! :D

Can someone help me cast this on a spey rod?

#421 ·
really don't care...don't use 'em for steelhead (although just might now so that lots of uppity TH guys can NOT say anything to me on the river, but be seething inside), use 'em (small size) for trout and whitefish on occasion and they work great when trout or whitefish are feeding on eggs.

This post has been deleted
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.