Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner

Why

2K views 39 replies 27 participants last post by  Kevin J. Burnham 
#1 ·
Why is it as in Fly Fishing that we all go out and pay good money for numerous fly rods and reels. Then those that can tie up many flies and those of us that can't buy many flies. We spend gobs of money on all the different doodads that you need for fly fishing. Then you all need a new rig to get you to those far away places. And in the end all we do is release the fish that we catch.

It sure is one expensive hobby to have when there is no end result.

#3 ·
there is no end result.
But there is an end result, Old Man. I get a mental and physical challenge, exposure to nature, stress relief, and meat during some seasons. Your argument could be applied to any sport, really, from cricket to football to hunting. The end result is that we get to go and do something we love in the places that make us feel good, and I see no problem with that.

#7 ·
I understand this part of it. All I'm trying to say is that we all spent gobs of money on a sport that we enjoy but we don't eat what we catch.

Now if you were a hunter, you would eat what you shoot. I don't think that you would spend that much on hunting that you would on fishing. Do they as hunters have a rifle for every thing that walks on this earth. Most have a rod for every different kind of fish. Or a rod for different kinds of weather.

I guess that I was looking for was a different kind of answer. Not to sure what I'm looking for. Maybe is a justification for doing what we do in the way of Fly Fishing. I'm just as guilty as the next person. I think it's just something to think about.

#5 ·
Guess we're all not the brightest bulbs on the tree...

Mentally off? Perhaps a genetic error?

Who knows?

My Dad fished to catch, kill and eat fish. I fish to catch and release fish. To non-anglers, we who release the fish we catch are considered downright odd and they can not see the point in what we do.

When I think about it, I gott'a agree, ... we are a strange lot....

#13 ·
How about this one OM.
Here we are standing in the water, draped in more gear than the cable guy repairman, trying to outwit an organism with a brain not bigger than a breadcrumb and getting skunked in the process but it is all good and we always come back because this is what we do.;)

#14 ·
Jim, a much deeper philosophical question would be: Why would anyone sign off of a post with "Sent from my KFTT using TapatalkHD"?

Does anyone care?
Does it fucking matter?
Did it somehow enhance the message?
Is there anything even more useless that we should know about?
Is there------------------------------------------------------------------------?

Ive

#16 ·
Jim, a much deeper philosophical question would be: Why would anyone sign off of a post with "Sent from my KFTT using TapatalkHD"?

Does anyone care?
Does it fucking matter?
Did it somehow enhance the message?
Is there anything even more useless that we should know about?
Is there------------------------------------------------------------------------?

Ive
Easy now. I've just been too lazy to change the default settings on my device. I didn't know it was so offensive but now that I do, I think I'll keep it. :)

Sent from my KFTT using Tapatalk HD

#18 ·
Why is it as in Fly Fishing that we all go out and pay good money for numerous fly rods and reels. Then those that can tie up many flies and those of us that can't buy many flies. We spend gobs of money on all the different doodads that you need for fly fishing. Then you all need a new rig to get you to those far away places. And in the end all we do is release the fish that we catch.

It sure is one expensive hobby to have when there is no end result.
Nah, other than gas....fly fishing is one of the cheapest hobbies.

I buy one rod about every 10 years!!.....Granted I did have to replace my stolen pontoon boat. But in a normal year...counting my fishing license I probably spend less than a $100/year for fly fishing stuff.

Less than that for bird hunting stuff.

A bit more for that photography hobby.....

However, do NOT ever look up at the sky and night and say "I wish I had a telescope".

#32 ·
I passed through Duvall this morning. Stopped at the grocery store, post office and the little store at the end of the bridge. I thought about stopping in at WFC to offer a congratulatory donation for their recent WDFW spanking but I didn't do that today.

I then continued out the other end of town towards Monroe where I intended to ..............No wait, who gives a shit about Monroe. This thread is about Duvall isn't it?

TC

Reactions: Old Man
#33 ·
I passed through Duvall this morning. Stopped at the grocery store, post office and the little store at the end of the bridge. I thought about stopping in at WFC to offer a congratulatory donation for their recent WDFW spanking but I didn't do that today.

I then continued out the other end of town towards Monroe where I intended to ..............No wait, who gives a shit about Monroe. This thread is about Duvall isn't it?

TC
Nice try Tim, but this thread is about Jim and .......??????
What were we talking about Jim?

Reactions: junkie
#34 ·
I don't normally drink while I fish. Yesterday I took my son (home on leave) to Buffalo bridge on the lower Flathead. The river winds for twenty some miles with views of the spectacular snow-covered Mission Mountains, a soaring bald, a baffled bear cub, and endless miles of grassy hillsides without a single man-made structure. The sun was warm, the beer was cold, the fishing was lousy. One of the best days ever! Ray

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.