Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner

Reaction score

Marketplace Rating
(0.0 - 0 reviews)

Profile posts Latest activity Discussions Buy & Sell Reviews Media About

• · Registered
    64 Posts
    What I have found is more knot failure than actual tippet breakage. This is easy to spot as the knot unwinds and leaves a curly q. I also cast a few wind knots and those are definitely weak spots. I spot those by checking line and have had them break if I don't retie and get a bigger fish. Just as you note, 5x and a 5wt can land a stealhead, so I think it might be something else.

· Registered
    2,372 Posts
    The last break off had the curly que so it must have been a knot tying issue. The one before that looked to be a small fish and I really pulled hard on the the fist strip and found he was much bigger than I thought.

Thanks for the advice. I'll be checking my knots and watching out for wind knots too.

· Registered
    64 Posts
    With 4x you should not be breaking off, from my experience. If you have a 5wt that is plenty flexible and should be taking shock, for trout I use very little drag, just enough so I don't get any backlash, and I generally don't use the reel on fish unless they are big, give them line and keep the line just tight. Trout tire quickly and then you can haul them in.

· The Breaker of Tippets and Arrows
    97 Posts
    Very nice. I hit my happy place on Mill Creek and landed a few nice ones. The water temp has dropped and the big boys are starting to drop out of the protected watershed. Can't wait to start skating stims next month!

· The Breaker of Tippets and Arrows
    97 Posts
    Hello Patrick,
    Just wanted to drop by and say thanks again for the great float. I think it shows a lot that we had such a rough fishing day but were smiling at the end. It was great to meet you. We should do it again sometime. Let me know if you need an apprentice for the boat stuff hehe

· Registered
    419 Posts
    Patrick, yes they close it early due to Spring Chinook and Bull trout spawning. Sorry for being hard but you have to understand that if someone saw you fishing then they think its open and so on and so on. Very important to read the pamphlet no matter where you fish and read it completely. Washington laws says 3 violations in 10yrs and your fishing lic is suspended. Any violation applies..ie barbed hooked etc..always a learning experience when it comes to fishing...good luck and tight lines..Keith
  • Loading…
  • Loading…
  • Loading…
  • Loading…
  • Loading…
  • Loading…