Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner

Waders

5K views 49 replies 40 participants last post by  troutpounder 
#1 ·
I'd like advice and opinion if you please on getting a new pair of breathable waders. Although I'd just love to spend >>$500 it's just not really in my allowable fly fishing budget...unless I make secret installment payments!;)

What would you recommend and avoid, especially seam vs. non-seam? I understand layering but warmth is important.

Thanks much,
TR

#6 ·
Actually, Redington is licensed to use Orvis' technology -- Orvis developed the sonic welding on waders technique. Their Silver Sonic waders are among the best I've used at a great price. I love their design on the convertible top. http://www.orvis.com/store/product.aspx?pf_id=5H5E

I also have come to love Patagonia's waders. They, too, do a great job on the convertible design (chest section folds away so you can wear the waders and waist-high pants). They cost a bit more, though, and they tend to have a more athletic cut.

Can't complain about Redington's offerings either -- I lke their zip-fronts as much as I like Simms' zip front even though the Redington's are half the price of the SImms. Also note that testers who handle women-specific gear for me swear Redington is the ONLY way to go for women's waders.

#15 ·
I've been wearing Redington Sonic Pros for about a year and a half. I really like them for comfort and fit.
I had one issue with a seam, although they never leaked. As usual when needed, Redington provided great customer service.

My next pair will be the zipper fronts, as that is a feature that looks more appealing the older I get. ;)
SF

#16 ·
I'd like advice and opinion if you please on getting a new pair of breathable waders. Although I'd just love to spend >>$500 it's just not really in my allowable fly fishing budget...unless I make secret installment payments!;)

What would you recommend and avoid, especially seam vs. non-seam? I understand layering but warmth is important.

Thanks much,
TR
How many times a winter are you going to use them. I think it would depend how many times you get to get out and fish would determine how much you should spend on waders. I have Dan Bailey's Bare Bones. I couldn't be happier with them.

All waders have seams.

#18 ·
Not that you have to drive to Ephrata, but I just bought a pair of Dan Bailey's thru Desert Fly Angler for $199. I also joined the new age and replaced my felt boots with a pair of studded boots. The studs were out of stock so I got 40 1/4" machine screws and put 20 on the bottom of each boot. Cheap man's cleats... and if my car door falls off on a trip I have spare screws to reattach it.

#19 ·
Tacoma Red,

Lots of good waders around. If cost is the issue, Dan Bailey's usually get the most votes for cost effectiveness measured in days of fishing per dollar spent. I'm using Redington Sonic Pro zip front for the past year because I got a good deal on them. I really like them, but the cost per day is higher at full retail. At my age the zip front is really nice though.

Sg

#20 ·
I gave up on Simms waders years ago, after the insides of them were polka-dotted with AquaSeal for all the pin-hole leaks, and the seams couldn't be sealed any more. I've used Patagonia Wader Master and Rio Gallegos waders for several years now, and have no complaints. Gig Harbor Fly Shop has them on sale right now:
http://store.gigharborflyshop.com/sale-closeout.html

G
#23 ·
I also picked up a pair of the Patagonia Rio Gallegos this past fall and, so far, I love 'em. My previous pair were also Patagonias, which lasted me about four years with only one small leak that was easily fixed. Can't beat that price at the Gig Harbor store either.

#27 ·
Another vote for the Redington Sonic Pros with the zippered front. Have almost a year on them now and so far, so good.
They're ez on and off, and ez pee, too - these are things that weren't important to me in my younger years, but are now.

#32 ·
Avoid simms - they still make all of their waders too slim for anyone over 100 pounds; you won't be able to layer underneath them; If you don't believe me, try some on with a polartec fleece such as you would wear in the fall/winter.

I've had several bailey's (lightweights) - these are nice and sloppy loose-fitting, I like the gravel-guard design unique to this brand, and the built in belt. The first set leaked like a sieve; the second set hasn't leaked in two seasons of heavy use. The bootfoot on the second set is sloppy large so you get folds of neoprene that are a bit uncomfortable (I'm medium, 9.5 shoe; the bootfoot is like size 12+).

I don't wear breathables in the cold. I wear neoprene; 3 mm Cabelas - full price ~$60, sometimes on sale for as low as $40. They last a very long time without leaking.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.