Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner

Bridge collapse

14K views 188 replies 65 participants last post by  David Loy 
#1 ·
The I5 bridge over the Skagit River has collapsed!!! Cars in the water. Every available aid unit from Snohomish County to Whatcom County are being called in to help. This is wild.

I just drove over the bridge a few hours ago. My wife was on the other bridge between Burlington and Mt. Vernon when it happened.

#146 ·
Farm house for Swedish Pancakes this morning then Costco Gas, no Problem the People from the North didn't have a clue, I live in MV so know all the cuts, but like many others have posted its going to be a fucking headache, and the barge with the crane was there to start removal

#147 ·
Saw a report that a temporary fix is expected in the next couple of weeks. That is faster than anticipated. Glad they are working on the salvage operation to remove the fallen bridge section. Hoping that you all have a return to normalcy as soon as possible. Until then, I'm keeping my distance.

#148 ·
Saw a report that a temporary fix is expected in the next couple of weeks. That is faster than anticipated. Glad they are working on the salvage operation to remove the fallen bridge section. Hoping that you all have a return to normalcy as soon as possible. Until then, I'm keeping my distance.
Are they using one of those temp bridges that the Army Corp of Engineers use? Would definitely be a quick fix.

#152 ·
This post isn't about the bridge so I may be shot at rain rise but Freestone, I'm very sad to read about about your illnesses... that sucks! Hope you get better soon! Also sorry you missed your annual trip. Oh... just to cover my ass... the bridge suffered an injury.

#153 ·
This is one of the reasons that crossing bridges gives me the willies. That high bridge out of Coeur d' Alene onI-90 give me the shakes so bad I only drive over it at about 35 MPH. When I drive to Washington I have to cross the Clark Fork 13 times. By the time I get to St Regis, I'm a nervous wreck. But I'm getting better at it. I did the Sky Bridge out of Chicago on I 90 without being nervous.

i

#154 ·
There's a one lane, metal, piece of crap bridge that crosses The Willamette as the primary route out of Corvallis. They've refurbished the thing I don't know how many times instead of replacing it. They (whoever they are) claim it has historic value and that is why they don't want to replace it. So every day during rush hour, traffic piles up in the city so commuters can eventually drive over the historic piece of junk. Corvallis is only second to the metro area for the most expensive place to live in Oregon so a ton of the Corvallis workforce drive too and from Corvallis each day.

The thing has no aesthetic value in the least and looks like an old railroad bridge.

Ridiculous. A one lane, ugly, bridge over the Willamette that does nothing but create traffic jams... all because someone, somewhere in power claims it has historic value.

We are talking one butt-ugly, restrictive bridge. This is no way to run a railroad.

#158 ·
You are an asshole, period.
I love a class act.

Dry Fly Larry

Well you've caught a planet sized load of abuse for stating a simple truth so maybe this will help you understand your tormentors.

I once had access to a TOP SECRET pentagon report on alien abductions in the Pacific Northwest and the effects they have on the victims. The aliens have been identified as having an intellect far above ours in spite of having the shape of a billie goat and they had the unique feature of having three penises. Oddly, they find human males attractive and abducted them to use as sex slaves. Interestingly, after tiring of a victim they returned them to earth. The TOP SECRET pentagon report stated that the victims do not remember their experiences as sex slaves to three peckered billie goats but they do have suppressed longings for making the experience a lifestyle leaving them with unidentified overwhelming sexual frustration that manifests in two ways. One is the need to lash out at people on WFF using foul language and character assassination. The other manifestation is an overwhelming desire to be the homosexual slave of a goat. I hope this helps you understand that in their hormone driven mental instability they are neither rational or pleasant people and are more to be pitied than censured.

Personally, I'd be delighted to meet you on a stream or elsewhere anytime.

#159 ·
I love a class act.

Dry Fly Larry

Well you've caught a planet sized load of abuse for stating a simple truth so maybe this will help you understand your tormentors.

I once had access to a TOP SECRET pentagon report on alien abductions in the Pacific Northwest and the effects they have on the victims. The aliens have been identified as having an intellect far above ours in spite of having the shape of a billie goat and they had the unique feature of having three penises. Oddly, they find human males attractive and abducted them to use as sex slaves. Interestingly, after tiring of a victim they returned them to earth. The TOP SECRET pentagon report stated that the victims do not remember their experiences as sex slaves to three peckered billie goats but they do have suppressed longings for making the experience a lifestyle leaving them with unidentified overwhelming sexual frustration that manifests in two ways. One is the need to lash out at people on WFF using foul language and character assassination. The other manifestation is an overwhelming desire to be the homosexual slave of a goat. I hope this helps you understand that in their hormone driven mental instability they are neither rational or pleasant people and are more to be pitied than censured.

Personally, I'd be delighted to meet you on a stream or elsewhere anytime.
One more person I don't need to fish with..................and certainly a waste of good carbon

#163 ·
Well Ed, you didn't really expect a person with a liberal point of view on here (me, for instance), to get away with calling someone a f--king asshole on here did you, and not get banned? I'll take the high road and just go fish with dfl. :)

#169 ·
I misread what was written. Thought you said he told Ed to FO. I missed that post actually. Realize we don't read every post of every thread. I only read dryflylarrys because it was reported.

Reactions: Lugan
#170 ·
I misread what was written. Thought you said he told Ed to FO. I missed that post actually. Realize we don't read every post of every thread. I only read dryflylarrys because it was reported.
WHAT?!! You don't read every post? :p

Then again... why would you subject yourself to all this crap. Unless you were trying to punish yourself for something. :D

#171 ·
Did anyone cross on SR9 yesterday afternoon? Coming home from Orcas I took 20 all the way to Rockport, had lunch with the family at Howard Miller Steelhead park, then on to Darrington and back out 530 to I-5. Given the nightmare I saw around Conway Friday afternoon, I figured an hour extra with some scenery and no stress was worth it. Wondering how bad it really was yesterday.

#172 ·
I think this drifted quickly but got back to a level of tolerance. By the time the mods arrived. Some things happen behind the scenes, others in plain sight. I encourage the use of the report feature and ignore feature if you feel it necessary. The forum works best when we all do our part! I enjoy how Chris has it structured and I'm glad to help out when I can.

#173 ·
Time to invest in America's infrastructure. This is what happens when Republicans continue to block Obama's efforts to improve our infrastructure and put American's to work!!!!! :mad:
I hope this isn't too political but comments like this make me want to cry/laugh. Our government can't protect us against every unforeseeable event that may take place in our lifetimes. Wanting them to is one thing, expecting them to is another.

Our country"s infrastructure is in disrepair and needs to be addressed. But, our government has gotten so big and out of control that there are so many non core programs being funded that the money to fund core government responsibilities has to be ignored. Only when an incident like this happens do the politicians see it as an opportunity to raise taxes to fund this type of problem rather than keeping the scope of it's functions within reason. Within reason, to me, is spending at a level that is sustainable based on current and projected tax revenue. What you and I consider "reason or reasonable" are most likely different interpretations. But, I find it silly to think 1 side has our best interest in mind when it's proven by both sides to not give a shit. The only thing either side cares about is getting re-elected. Meaning, more programs for more people who will eventually cast a vote for whomever takes care of them.

Bridges don't buy votes.............. For either party.

The bridge got hit by an oversized load. How is that the R's fault. Maybe it should have been dealt with proactively but it wasn't. We live in a state that is overwhelmingly dominated by D's and the bridge wasn't fixed. If we lived in a state dominated by R's that same bridge would have been hit by the same truck and the result would be that same bridge being in the Skagit. Neither side would have proactively retrofitted that bridge to withstand what happened to it.

I just hope they fix the bridge first and worry about suing Canada second. That might restore what little faith I have in what I consider to be a government that has lost it's way.

Glad nobody was seriously injured.

#180 ·
Wrong, local state and federal governments have all been shrinking over the last few years, along with gov. spending @ all levels. This is another meme that people buy into, that distracts us from the real problems we face.

Reactions: dfl and dryflylarry
#185 ·
As political discussions go this thread has been civil. After we got past the first few posts the discussion has been informative and I have appreciated the give and take without the drama.
Let's face it folks everything we do has a political side we need to learn to have discussions without degenerating into the name calling crap.

#187 ·
Problem solved....

Some of you may have seen the national news about an Interstate Highway bridge that collapsed into a large river, after having been struck by a truck carrying an oversize load.

That bridge is 2.5 miles from my office. The dunking of the bridge section has caused major disruptions in traffic and overall business commerce in our area.

But I'm glad to report emergency repairs are underway and necessary components have arrived, just today…….

Wait for it……..

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.