Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner

New Gear Question: 6 or 7wt?

2K views 17 replies 11 participants last post by  Anil 
#1 ·
Looking for opinions on buying a new rod this week. I was planning on picking up a new 6wt because my current one is not a saltwater rod (wood reel seat, unsealed guides, not fast enough...) I was planning on a 6 wt. TFO BVK or Redington Link. Then I when fishing in the south sound over the weekend where I was mainly targeting Salmon with my 8wt, but only catching SRC's. I would switch to my 6 wt which was fine for Trout--didn't get into to any salmon. However, it got me thinking that perhaps a 7 would be a nice bridge rod here? Truly, most of my salt fishing will be for Salmon, and I imagine that most times I catch SRC it will be a similar scenario. How many of you use a 7 regularly?

Also, between the two, BVK or Redington Link, any thoughts and do you recommend over lining these rods?

Thanks!

#2 ·
You'll get lots of different opinions on this subject.
Personally I really like a six for PS salmon fishing except for chums. The majority of the coho you'll encounter will be sub 8 lbs. With a good lb tippet and taking the fight to the fish you can get them under control rather quickly. The six really lets them show off their stuff as well.
Many of the salty sixes I've tried seem to tend more towards 7 wts.
I fish a six overlined with a 7 wt 40+ and find it easy to fish all day.
The six will at times be a bit overkill for cutts but is nice to have on windy days.
SF

#4 ·
I tend to lean in the other direction. I fished strictly a 6 off the beach for a few years but have transitioned the past couple years to fishing an 8 wt most of the time. I like it for the wind and heavier flies, and I didn't notice a big difference in the fight of a 6 lb silver between the 10' 6 wt Helios I was fishing, and the Link 890 I picked up last year.

I will add that I am absolutely in love with the Link. Not the fastest rod on the planet, but it matches my stroke nicely, has plenty of backbone, and will chuck an Outbound short a good ways.

When I was in the market for a new 8 weight last year I went into my local shop and threw every rod he had. I tossed several much more expensive rods, but was sold on the Link as soon as I tried it. So everyone is gonna be different, go see what works for you.

#6 ·
When I was in the market for a new 8 weight last year I went into my local shop and threw every rod he had
Curious what local shop you went to? I always hear that casting before buying is the best way to go, but I've never really gotten that vibe or that offer from fly shops I've gone to. I'd be in to a moderate drive from Seattle if it meant getting the right rod.

#7 ·
Peninsula Outfitters in Poulsbo is my local shop, but letting you try rods out is nothing special for a fly shop. I believe that Pacific Fly Fishers has a casting pond somewhere nearby. In my experience any good shop will let you throw their rods before buying

#8 ·
7wt does it all, I landed a few chum hot chum recently that put my 7wt to the test, never felt under gunned. Been fishing it all season and it felt great. Also got into a few cutts in the south sound that tugged pretty good. although I wouldn't reach for my 7 if I was targeting cutts.
I think a 9'6 6 is the better all around puget sound rod, but a 7 is nice if your going to go more for salmon.
Just had to put a 7 wt vote in there since no one had yet.

#9 ·
I'm with Nick. I have saltwater 6, 7, and 8 wt. saltwater rods but usually fish the 8 wt. For some reason I always gravitate back to it because I get tired more quickly when I use the 6 and 7 for salmon. I like them when I target SRC, usually the 6 wt. early and then the 7 as the fish get bigger.

#10 ·
I fished a 9'6" 7wt Redington CPS for coho this year and I like the 7 weight. Last year I fished a combination of 9'6" 6wt Z-axis and 9' 8wt Redington RS4. I landed 8lb coho on the 6wt with no problems and my father-in-law landed a 10lb coho on it this year without much trouble. Of these three rods, the 7wt CPS is my favorite for salmon but that's probably because I like the CPS better than the Z-Axis or RS4 regardless of WT. Most of the beaches I fish for salmon don't hold SRC so there's not much by-catch. If I fished beaches where SRC were a regular by-catch or it was normally a mix of SRC and salmon I think I'd stick with a 6wt.

I have a 5wt BVK I use for my dry-line SRC fishing. I have a 6wt Rio Outbound (not short) that fishes great on it. Conversely, the 6wt Rio Outbound Short intermediate I have is a bit too much for the 5wt BVK. BVKs are great faster action rods, but they're not in the same league (power-wise) as some of the new beefy 6wts.

#11 ·
i have what some might describe as a carnal relationship with my 6wt loomis GLX.
i fish coho and src with it.
i tend to fish all day, so the 6 wt is easy on the arm.
i catch 20lb northern coho on it regularly off the beaches near Campbell River. The rods got enough backbone to handle these bigger fish fast enough without taking too much out of the fish, and sensitive enough for cutts.

#15 ·
I would content that a 9' 8 weight would indeed just about do it all. Just because as fisherman we may prefer certain rods for certain species doesn't mean its necessary. If I had the budget for a single rod for Puget sound I'd look real hard at a fastish 8. Sure, 12" SRC aren't gonna light your world on fire, but I've had plenty of 16" fish slam my clouser while chasing silvers and put a nice bend in the 8. Plus, the 8 gives you chums and kings too.

#18 ·
Oops! Here's what I was going to reply:

I would never buy a rod before I cast it and you should always have the opportunity to cast at a shop. I understand that for a lot of people it is intimidating, but YOU are going to be living with this rod, not the 'hotshot' behind the counter.
It's pouring outside right now and before hours, but if you were here right now telling me you're not ready to buy, but always wanted to try "Rod XYZ", we would be stringing it up and heading out.
Any good shop should be encouraging you to cast.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.