Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner

Local Bamboo gathering?

Bamboo 
6K views 66 replies 22 participants last post by  Polar Shrimp 
#1 ·
I'm becoming a big fan of bamboo fly rods. Bamboo rods are made from a material that is both beautiful and comes from a very small location from the other side of the world. Bamboo rods are fun to cast (the few I've tried so far) with a good feel of the line and a slower smoother action than I'm used to with my graphite rods. And each rod has its own cool story. Some are hand-crafted by local makers. Some were mass-produced back in the 20's, 30's, 40's or even more recently. Many had former owners and caught trout and other fish in another era and in places I can only guess at. Some bamboo rods are in original pristine condition. Some have been rescued from the junk heap and perhaps refinished into good rods. Others show the effects of many years of hard but good fishing. And they all seem to have their own feel and story. Being new to bamboo I am wondering if there are any local gatherings where folks bring their rods to show and try? Kind of like a classic car show. I'd love to see others bamboo and perhaps see how they cast. And maybe hear some great stories as well.

#3 ·
Come fishing with me I'm making a shorty rod now. Once I picked up bamboo I haven't looked back.

#8 ·
Thanks Ron!

Currently I'm in the process of making three tapers this winter that have been on the to do list. A Martha Marie two piece, Payne 97 three piece and a Leonard 50DFthree piece. I'm starting to play with fire now flaming the last few rods.

For the website my good friend and fishing partner Kent Lufkin gets all that credit. By the way that's the hood of Kent's truck in the photo.

Mike

#11 ·
Thanks Ron!

Currently I'm in the process of making three tapers this winter that have been on the to do list. A Martha Marie two piece, Payne 97 three piece and a Leonard 50DFthree piece. I'm starting to play with fire now flaming the last few rods.

For the website my good friend and fishing partner Kent Lufkin gets all that credit. By the way that's the hood of Kent's truck in the photo.

Mike
My compliments to Kent. He really knows his lighting and overall photography and the design of the site is beautiful. Ron

#13 ·
I've attended The Metolious event in the past, and really enjoyed it. It seems that event is having a hard time getting permits or access to the site, and the last time I spoke with the people at The Camp Sherman Store they didn't have much confidence that the show would proceed. Hopefully with IFFF support the show will continue.
I agree with John and Tim that an informal event here in Washington would be pretty cool.

#14 ·
I've attended The Metolious event in the past, and really enjoyed it. It seems that event is having a hard time getting permits or access to the site, and the last time I spoke with the people at The Camp Sherman Store they didn't have much confidence that the show would proceed. Hopefully with IFFF support the show will continue.
I agree with John and Tim that an informal event here in Washington would be pretty cool.
RE: Camp Sherman
The last two years the event formerly held at Camp Sherman more or less moved to Sun River. http://hookfish.com/festival
Sun River is a resort community and the festival is essentialy in a mall and included mostly non-bamboo rod related stuff. There were a total of four rod makers officially registered and a few more that I know of not officialy registered. See the exhibitors on the pulldown on the page linked above.

I have not attended the Sun River event but have spoken at length to a few who have. I continue to hope that it returns to the Metolius. There is really no comparison between the two venues. A mall in a resort community simply has none of the attractions of Camp Sherman and the surrounding campgrounds.

The Oregon Council IFFF newletter is from 2010.

TC

#15 ·
FYI; The 3rd Annual Bozeman Bamboo Bash took place in Sept.' of this year. Apparently a successful, and fairly well attended event.
I've never been to either one of them, but thought some of you may want to know about it if travelling east next September - it's a little further to drive than Sun River or Camp Sherman for most of us probably, but they are talking about doing it again in Bozeman in 2014.

#16 ·
If the Bozeman meet happens, I hope to attend. I taught myself to cast a fly rod around age 9 using one my dad brought back from his pacific tour in WW2. I don't remember fishing with it in Juanita Cr. where I grew up. I haven't cast one since, but just found an old Hardy and am planning to use it soon. I could use some advise on line size and type.

#17 ·
I went to a fiberglass get together earlier this last year. About 14 or 15 guys showed up to show off their fiberglass rods. We had a pot luck lunch and bent an elbow or two. I would love to go to the same kind of thing with bamboo. It would be nice to have an opportunity to fish the rods at the same time. A park at a lake would be nice.

#19 ·
I'd be happy to bring what I have on hand to share if someone cares to try to put a gathering together if the schedule works. To do something like this at a public lake might be a risk for those willing to share their rods. With a public lake there are too many people coming and going in my opinion to have a selection of rods available to try out. A lake fishing experience is by far the best and we had a great time on the Hancock Tree Farm on Hancock lake. No worries about outsiders drifting through, but you need to pony up $250 to get on the property. So that being said we might be able to pull off a gathering at some sort of park venue (Mercer Lid Park for example) or if someone has a large property who was willing to host the event would be even better. Just a thought if someone wants to take up the idea and run with it. I'm sure there are others who would be willing to tempt the masses to the dark side. :D

Mike

#25 ·
Well I think with all the interest we really need to figure out a location to have a, talk, pass, cast and share the cane event. All we really need is a open area with some grass and about 100' by 100'. A grass football field, soccer field, pasture, county park, private pasture, heck a private lake or stream would be killer! Any ideas or suggestions?

Mike

#26 ·
However this works out is fine and I'll attend if at all possible.
That said I sure like to see an event like this on water.
There is more to bamboo fly rods than pretty wraps. They're wonderful fishing tools and bamboo is quite possible the best material for small stream fly rods (IMHO). Lawn casting gives a hint but not the whole story.

#27 ·
I don't have any boo, but would enjoy trying a few. I do have access to Windermere Park (private), 10 blocks South of Magnuson Park, with +-240' of Lk.Wa. waterfront and a 200' dock. Summer would be tough with all of the kids swimming, but Spring is very doable. Once in a great while I'll catch SMB off the dock but I mostly use it for a casting fix. However, if another venue comes along I'd still like to attend.

#32 ·
If there is no fees involved it might be worth the effort to pick a date and see if it works for the majority of the current participants in this forum topic. If it does gain momentum I'm sure you will see more interest as the date gets closer. From the sounds of it there are a number of people willing to bring and share some bamboo rods, me included. Casting by far beats talking about bamboo when you're trying to understand the action of a particular taper.

Mike

#35 ·
Well, I barely know what I'm doing tomorrow but almost any Saturday or Sunday can work. Without digging deeper I'll throw the dart at Saturday April 26th, say noon? I think my family is away so I'm without adult supervision (woohoo). But other dates can work as well so this is a first stab. If there is consensus for an earlier date, March 29th might be good here. Maybe even better. You guys choose.

Anyone is of course welcome, there is plenty of room. My preference is low key. There are a couple picnic tables. I might make a large D.O. dump cobbler just cause it's fun, but don't plan on a feast. I cook every day but I'm no Gary Knowles :). Any spirits need to be slightly covert but I don't expect trouble with this crowd. I'll bring a camp table & blanket for rod display. I can supply a large Weber & coals if anyone feels like grilling their catch.

Directions: Head North or South on Sand Point Way to Windermere Drive (roughly equivalent to NE 57th Street). Go East at the light, go three blocks and take a sharp right on Ambleside (a three way intersection). Park is at the bottom of the hill. Follow the goose poop to the beach.
Looking forward to meeting you.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.