Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner

scientific anglers system 2 12/13

Spey 
5K views 25 replies 10 participants last post by  jake-e-boy 
#1 ·
I just got one of these really cheap brand new. However I can not find any information about who made these reels for S/A's. Seems like good reviews on it but does anyone know the manufacturers details on this reel?

#4 ·
The early, mid, and some late models were all made in England. I've seen one or two of the last iteration that were marked made in China. I've never heard or found documentation that Hardy made them but it's possible. I've been fishing system2 10/11's and 12/13's since I got into spey casting in the mid 90's, they hold a lot of line and I've never had a problem with them. I'd also like to know what company made them for SA.

#7 ·
I think the reels made by hardy were the systems reels marked 5,6,7,etc. for the line weight they took. They are the same as the hardy marquis(click n pawl). The system 1 (click n pawl) and the system2 (caliper drag) you guys are talking about were made by Leeda or BFR (british fly reel) same company name change somewhere along the line. Orvis bought BFR and then SA had them made in china sometime after that. Daiwa also made some system1 reels marked made in japan but Ive never seen any system2 reels made by Daiwa. Like Steve said best to take it to a shop and have them fill it if you can. Even the smaller sizes hold alot of backing.

#10 ·
I agree I have the 12/13 have been using it for awhile. These reels are bomb proof. Plus I like the look of the solid side plates.

I use to own the 7/8 bought it brand new in the early 90s. I'm pretty sure the paperwork said they were manufactured by Hardy.

Attachments

#13 ·
Recently, I've been switching to System II 1213's from other brands as my backup spey reels. The 1213 with perforations weighs 9.34 ounces and has loads of capacity and a strong drag.

#20 ·
I bought my 12/13 reel and spool for $30.00 at a garage sale a couple of years ago. I did not try to negotiate a lower price, Hopefully the cat is not out of the bag.....

#23 ·
Fancy boy got himself a Hardy. Mark my words within 18 months it'll be tweed sport coats, quoting Sir Isaac Walton and sitting cross legged like a chick.
keep it, next impulse buy might be a rod it fits perfectly
He won't buy a twelve weight. He's ain't bout' dat salt-life, yo.

Reactions: GOTY
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.