05-06 Beginner/Intermediate Anti-Shack Nasty Marathon Fly Swap

Discussion in 'Fly Swaps' started by Ron Eagle Elk, Sep 17, 2005.

1. Ron Eagle Elk Active Member

Yelm, WA, USA.
    Ratings: +110 / 0
    Anyfish,

I feel your pain, Buddy. I'm having a serious case of fishing withdrawls. Headaches, bad case of nerves, can't sleep, etc.

Looks like El Nina is gonna give us a thrashing this winter.

REE
  2. TheShadKing Will Fish For Food

Bellevue, WA
    Ratings: +4 / 0
    Yeah, but crawdads are ugly! :D

The flies came in today's mail. I'm really impressed with the quality across the board (and more than a little happy I didn't do a Gierach Special myself!)

Starting on the next batch right now.

Rolland
  3. Dylan D Member

West Seattle
    Ratings: +0 / 0
    I received my package this afternoon -- everyone did a really great job.

Honestly, I think this is the highest quality batch (save mine :beathead: ) in the two years I've been a part. Great job everyone!!iagree
  4. Wayne Kohan fish-ician

TriCities, WA
    Ratings: +99 / 0
    Maybe you guys are getting wet, but we are getting blown away. We have had so much wind over here... I was thinking of going out tomorrow for awhile but we have gusts of 50 mph predicted. bawling:

I haven't got my flies yet, but they look awful nice in the gallery. I should get them tomorrow.

By the way, I finished my dries tonight. I'm thinking about tying a second fly since I'm done so soon, but if I do, it will be an EHC. I hate tying dry fly hackle and then trying to make a neat head.

Wayne
  5. Ron Eagle Elk Active Member

Yelm, WA, USA.
    Dang, Guys. Now Wayne is trying to be an overachiever. Second flies are always welcome as a special surprise when you get your flies back, but not necessary.

We're getting some severe winds today, as well as last night. The yard is full of tree limbs and trash from the neighbors yard.

Gonna be a long winter.

REE
  6. Griswald a.k.a. Griswald

Vashon Island, Wa.
    Ratings: +5 / 0
    Dang it!

Well, all I can offer is a sincere thanks and will inlcude my January flies with the Feb dries.

I have no excuse, except I completely forgot until I got my flies in the mail.

I apologize. REE thanks for sending mine anyway and thanks for the Thread and materials for Max, he was stoked!

We are going to tie tomorrow now that we have power. (Was out for over 18 hours)

Hope you all are well.

Best,
    Griswald
  7. Ron Eagle Elk Active Member

Yelm, WA, USA.
    Griswald,

I knew it wasn't like you to drop off the face of the earth. You've been in too many of my swaps. Lookin forward to seeing your February flies with the January bonus.

We lost power for about 6 hours, just as VEE was getting ready to make dinner. Had to drive two towns away just to find a place open to eat and get a couple lattes.

REE
  8. Desmond Wiles Sir Castaline

Snohomish, Wa
    Great flies everyone!
  9. TheShadKing Will Fish For Food

Bellevue, WA
    On to them beetles ...

Just finished putting on the last toe tag. I have to go get a new shipping box because mine's out on another swap.

It's funny ... my expectations for my fly quality has risen as consistently fast, if not faster, than my ability to tie flies. I'm not as happy with this batch as I was with a batch I tied last year for a MB swap; but they're probably better ties.

And oh yeah, a scud's a terrestrial, right? If I call it a sow bug? :cool:

I might do a water boatman, though. What the heck is the swap's definition of a terrestrial anyway?

http://www.flyfishingnc.com/a/fly_terrestrial.php includes damselflies, scuds, and hexes, which seems like a dang liberal definition.

Please advise ... I'd rather tie something I need rather than have another 15 ants added to my fly box. Not that ants don't catch fish. :D

Rolland
  10. Ron Eagle Elk Active Member

Yelm, WA, USA.
    Rolland,

Looking forward to your dries.

Terrestrial = Any bug that doesn't live in the water. Hoppers, bees, wasps, beetles, spiders, ants, inchworms, etc. All of which catch fish.

Last fall on the Selway there was a great Caddis hatch in progress but the trout weren't hitting them. They were keyed into small brown and black ants that had blown into the water. Luckily we had some ants in our boxes and had a field day. You never know what those pea brained fish will be eating.

REE
  11. TheShadKing Will Fish For Food

Bellevue, WA
    Yes, please let me know what you think. I meant to put on the toe tag, but forgot: when you fish this, don't think you need to leave it nice and pretty. Crush a wing, take a lighter to it, whatever floats your boat, because the trout seem to like it as a cripple as much as a dry.

Well, no offense, but I think we should cancel the terrestrial swap. Not because I disagree with the categories ... of course not, they're 100% in line with how flies are normally described ... or because I think we should add a category for scuds and other water bugs ... the swap's long enough already ... but because if my current practice tie works out, nobody else's terrestrials are going to want to be confined in a small box with mine. :rofl:

This will be a good month for making me expand my realism skills ... :beer2:

Rolland
  12. Ron Eagle Elk Active Member

Yelm, WA, USA.
    Holy cow! Shad is going realistic on us! One of you guys is always trying to make this underachever look bad.

REE
  13. TheShadKing Will Fish For Food

Bellevue, WA
    We could have another mini-contest, you know "most realistic" A.K.A. "ooh gross, I'm not touching that", or for the more honest amongst us, "closest resemblence to why I gave up bait fishing." :rofl:

Rolland
  14. Ron Eagle Elk Active Member

Yelm, WA, USA.
    In that contest I'd have to bow out and let my wife take over. She's actually a much better tier than I am. Younger eyes and steadier hands do make a difference. She also likes those realistic flies.

REE
  15. Randy Diefert aka: Longears

Coupeville, WA, USA.
    I love her Spider fly! That is awesome!
  16. TheShadKing Will Fish For Food

Bellevue, WA
    Spiders, scary icky spiders!

I'm doing spiders, loosely (and I use the term loosely) from David Martin's article in the Winter 2004 issue of Fly Tyer. Pages 31-35. It's a great article that got me started on realism ... not that I've pursued it very far!

That said, if you have the article, the only two things my pattern has in common are:

1.) they both look like a spider
    2.) same hook (#14 light-weight scud hook)
    3.) mono legs, bent the same way.

I tried tying a couple the way the article had and while they came out ok, I found the whole thing to be rather finicky. Although the hair legs are scary realistic, what with the taper and all.

Instead, what I'm doing is taking 1/4" round foam, i.e., a cylinder. I melt one end and shape it into a spider's behind ... use a candle and your finger. You'll screw up the first one the rest are easy. Do both ends of the cylinder so you only have to do this every other fly.

I cut a tiny slit into the bottom to help it settle over the hook. This is optional, but if you don't do it, I recommend covering the hook shank with some white silk because otherwise you'll see the hook from below.

Tie the butt end of the foam in at the bend of the hook with no more than a half-dozen wraps. You may find that you can get just a little tail of melted foam at the butt end, which makes tying in a breeze.

Advance the thread underneath the foam, and then tie the foam down with a few wraps where you want the abdomen to start.

Cut the foam off at an angle, i.e., leave as little foam as possible. You don't need much foam to make the abdomen, and while you can tie in all the foam without cutting it back, the extra weight / density makes the front end of the spider sink.

I cut 4 pieces of 15 pound test for legs, and tie them in all at once, with a big figure eight. I then over-wrap each individual leg. The article recommends 20 pound test; I wouldn't go higher than 15, 12 might be better, 10 is probably not too light. It's an issue of realistic size vs. the legs acting as a bite guard. Update: after tying the swap flies with 15 pound test, which looks very good, I tied another one with 10 pound test. I'd stick with 10 pound test for fishing flies, as it doesn't act so much as a bite guard yet still is thick enough to be realistic. However, it's definitely trickier to bend the lighter test ... a very fine line between bending and cutting with the lighter test.

[On larger spiders, you can tie the legs in two at a time, leaving a bit of a gap between each set of legs. But on a size 14, there's not really enough room to do this.]

Bend the legs with a heated bodkin & color. [This step is the only one in common with the article.] Be careful with the bodkin, though: it's really easy to turn your spider into a cripple with a too-hot bodkin. In case you don't have the article, bend the legs up sharply, then two milder bends back down. Bending the legs, surprisingly enough, is the only tricky step of the whole pattern.

Coloring is easy, and lots of fun. If you pick up a very light color, you can use it to blend in other colors, almost even erasing earlier layers if you rub hard enough.

Even though my final tie didn't follow the article very much, I still feel very grateful for having seen the article. I would never have tried a realistic pattern without it, and I am impressed at Martin's ingenuity in having come up with such a simple but realistic tie.

I have my spider down to just over 20 minutes door to door, i.e, with no prep work.

At that speed, I have no problem fishing this pattern ... or tying 15 of them for a swap. :thumb: I did six yesterday, only one of which (the first one after the test pattern, which I didn't count) came out a cripple.

Last detail: some of the letters written to the editor talked about turning the pattern around on the hook, so the tippet would come out of the abdomen, thus looking even more realistic to the fish. I thought this was a neat idea, so I tried it with the test pattern ... which promptly sank. The original pattern is lighter than this one (a plus for the original on landing, a minus on casting since it's pretty wind resistant) and will float either way. But the foam will only float right if it's over the hook.

Rolland

ps. Ron, my dries just went into the mail. You should get them before the weekend.

pps. A half-dozen very realistic spiders will in fact give you the creeps when they're sitting on your fly tying table. :eek:
  17. Ron Eagle Elk Active Member

Yelm, WA, USA.
    Rolland,

VEE ties the same spider with the deer hair body. She had 15 of them on her desk last year and just creeped me out. I went hunting a rolled up newspaper to smash them with.

REE
  18. Wayne Kohan fish-ician

TriCities, WA
    Ratings: +99 / 0
    Dries went out today. Sent a bonus fly out as well since I got done so soon.

The spider flies shouldn't get me too worked up. Hope no one ties any ticks or snakes.:eek:

Wayne
  19. TheShadKing Will Fish For Food

Bellevue, WA
    One of the largest rattlesnakes I've ever seen was quite happily
    swimming down a prime feeding lane on the Deschutes.

If there's a tick in the box I'll probably just chuck the whole thing
    in the fireplace. :) They scare me more than anything, what with
    what I now know about all the diseases they carry.
  20. Anyfish Fishing with the kids

Olympia, WA
    I finished my dries up last night, they will go out today.