05-06 Beginner/Intermediate Anti-Shack Nasty Marathon Fly Swap

Discussion in 'Fly Swaps' started by Ron Eagle Elk, Sep 17, 2005.

1. TheShadKing Will Fish For Food

Bellevue, WA
    Ratings: +4 / 0
    Gee, I woulda thought "over the top" would've involved inviting the rest of us. ptyd
  2. TheShadKing Will Fish For Food

Bellevue, WA
    Eek! Spiders!!

[IMG]
  3. Ron Eagle Elk Active Member

Yelm, WA, USA.
    Ratings: +109 / 0
    Shad, When VEE did her spiders for the terrestrial swap last year, she had 15 of them on her bench. It really creeped me out. Those look great! Now where did I put that rolled up newspaper?

Ed D's dries arrived today by FedEx. Dang delivery woke me up.

Guy's, I may run a little late getting the flies out this month. My 93 year old Grampa went into the Hospital Monday evening. A major blockage of an artery and cancer of the breast bone. I need to spend some time with him. He's in good spirits, but I don't know how long he'll be with us.

REE
  4. Desmond Wiles Sir Castaline

Snohomish, Wa
    Ratings: +0 / 0
    Ron, so sorry to hear about your Grandpa. He must be one tuff cookie! My prayers go with you.

Des
  5. Anyfish Fishing with the kids

Olympia, WA
    Ron - sorry to hear about your Grandpa.

The spiders are pretty cool looking. Creepy, but cool. I have not had time to start mine for this month. I am going to tie up some sort of inch worm and probably something else. I have seen hundreds of inch worms this year in my yard. I figured what the heck, can'y hurt.

Chris
  6. Ron Eagle Elk Active Member

Yelm, WA, USA.
    Thanks guys. I'm heading off in a couple minutes to sing some of the old songs with Grampa.

Chris, those inch worms are real killers cast under some overhanging branches. Trout slurp them up quick.

REE
  7. TheShadKing Will Fish For Food

Bellevue, WA
    Yes, what Des said. Don't worry about shipping the flies, spend time with your Grandpa!

Rolland
  8. TheShadKing Will Fish For Food

Bellevue, WA
    Thanks. I tied up four of them in an hour this morning. So, another hour and I'll be done. :D

What do you guys think about the scuds? I need to get a good scud imitation going, I may through some in as a bonus but I'm making no promises.

Rolland
  9. Desmond Wiles Sir Castaline

Snohomish, Wa
    I've never tied scuds before, but just recently bought the hooks for them. I hear they are effective in some lakes if you cast out and let it sink to the bottom, and kinda twitch them slowly. I've never given it a chance though.
  10. Anyfish Fishing with the kids

Olympia, WA
    The scuds look good to me. There is one lake close to home that has scuds in it.........or so I have been told.
  11. Ron Eagle Elk Active Member

Yelm, WA, USA.
    Howdy Guys,

Got some really good news about Grampa today, so I shot the pictures of the flies, posted them in the gallery, divided up the flies, packaged them and they will go out in the morning.

Thanks for your patience, prayers and good thoughts.

Now got busy on those terrestrials! (yes, I used to be a drill sergeant.)

REE
  12. Desmond Wiles Sir Castaline

Snohomish, Wa
    The dries look nice guys!

Hey ron, your CDC elk hair reminded me of a question I had when I bought some cdc for the first time. Is there another version of cdc besides cdc "puffs"? A recipe I had called to have the cdc palmered, and there's no way I see it working with the puffs!

Thanks,
    Des
  13. Ron Eagle Elk Active Member

Yelm, WA, USA.
    Desmond,

Yup, the CDC I used is about an inch or more long. Nice fibers all along the shaft. Most fly shops have a nice selection in various colors. Incidentaly, that is one of my two favorite caddis dries. The other is LaFontaine's "Dancing Caddis". The CDC and Elk works very nicely in slower water and the Dancing Caddis is great as a waking fly.

REE
  14. Desmond Wiles Sir Castaline

Snohomish, Wa

That's what I figured. I saw a recipe calling for CDC, but wasn't really paying attention to the directions before I bought some, which ended up being the wrong stuff. I don't recall seing anything other than what I got, but I'll have to look closer my next time there.

What patterns are there requiring CDC puffs?
  15. Ron Eagle Elk Active Member

Yelm, WA, USA.
    Think wings on emergers and small flies. The puffs work great for that kind of stuff. My buddy uses them or parachute posts. Just about anything that requires short CDC, the puffs works great.
  16. Wayne Kohan fish-ician

TriCities, WA
    Ratings: +93 / 0
    Got my flies yesterday. I had seen the pics in the gallery, and the flies look even better in my hands. Me thinks we are getting real good at this.....

Wayne
  17. Ed D Member

Fed Way, WA
    Yep flies look good.
    How many flies do we need to tie now, what w/ the dropouts... Baker's dozen?
  18. TheShadKing Will Fish For Food

Bellevue, WA
    Flies do look good

The flies all do look good.

As far as how many for the next tie, I dunno, it's a good question. I do know Ron didn't seem overly impressed with a mere dozen spiders, so here's half again that number:

[IMG]

:D
  19. Ron Eagle Elk Active Member

Yelm, WA, USA.
    Okay, Shad, now your creeping me out. I'm waiting for one of those things to start crawling across my screen. Lookin good.

As for the count, we're down to 12. I haven't heard from Hatenot2fish since the tying contest in December so I dropped him. Bill Douglas should be back up and running this month, but I'm gonna e-mail him to be sure.

This is about what we had last year in this swap. Sometimes the long haul takes a toll. But it does help expand the tying horizons don't it.

Wayne, I've been telling you guys your a bunch of sandbaggers. Beginner/intermediate indeed! Try intermediate/advanced. Doesn't matter how long you've been tying, it's your skill level. Youse guys are dang good.

REE
  20. TheShadKing Will Fish For Food

Bellevue, WA
    Heh, heh, heh. Actually, they've come close to giving me bad dreams. :D

I can now tie four of them in well under an hour, without hurrying. Without the swap, I never would have tried tying so many of them. I certainly wouldn't have tried to figure out a way to make it as easy as I've made it. I'm curious to see what y'all think of them when you get them in your hands.

I'm curious to know if people have been high-grading their flies (relative to what you'd put in your own box?) I only ask because some of the ones I've gotten look gosh-darn close to perfect.

I don't high grade mine, although if one comes out badly I won't include it ... but I generally wouldn't put it in my box either. If it's so difficult to tie I can't tie it right, I either don't bother, try to improve my skill by asking for help, or change the pattern so I can tie it.

The spider's a good example of the last; the original article was a great tie, but I found it a PITA to get right, so hence the new approach.

Rolland