05-06 Beginner/Intermediate Anti-Shack Nasty Marathon Fly Swap

Discussion in 'Fly Swaps' started by Ron Eagle Elk, Sep 17, 2005.

1. Ron Eagle Elk Active Member

Yelm, WA, USA.
    Ratings: +110 / 0
    Shad,
    Necessity is the mother of invention, or something like that. Another good saying is work smarter, not harder. Both apply to fly tying as well as most things in life.

REE
  2. Desmond Wiles Sir Castaline

Snohomish, Wa
    Ratings: +0 / 0
    Hey Ron, I'm about half done with my flies, and would like to know the verdict on the number to send this month. Are we still tying 15 and getting a few duplicates back, or just 12?

Des
  3. Ron Eagle Elk Active Member

Yelm, WA, USA.
    Desmond,

The count is 12. So, your more than half done, right?

REE
  4. Desmond Wiles Sir Castaline

Snohomish, Wa
  5. Wayne Kohan fish-ician

TriCities, WA
    Ratings: +99 / 0
    My terrestials are done. 12 will be on the way this weekend in the mail.

Now what to tie for an emerger???? Deciding which fly to tie has been most of the fun of this whole swap.

Wayne
  6. Ron Eagle Elk Active Member

Yelm, WA, USA.
    Thanks for the heads up Wayne. Yup, I have a blast running this swap, watching folks squirm when they have to tie outside their comfort zone.

Since this has run two years now, maybe I'll make it an annual event.

REE
  7. Desmond Wiles Sir Castaline

Snohomish, Wa
    Finished mine as well, they'll be going out today!
  8. Ron Eagle Elk Active Member

Yelm, WA, USA.
    Cool, Desmond. I guess a shorter count helped. I guess I better get to the vise. You guys are putting me to shame.

REE
  9. Ron Eagle Elk Active Member

Yelm, WA, USA.
    Opened my mail box and a package of very nice flies from Desmond Wiles popped out. Nice flies, Desmond.

REE
  10. Desmond Wiles Sir Castaline

Snohomish, Wa
    popped out or hopped out? ;)
  11. jessejames Flyslinger

Show Low, Arizona
    Ratings: +352 / 3
    I finished my flies last night. It is this beginners first attempt with foam bodies. I tied Chernoble Ants I think they turned out pretty good.:) :) They will be in the mail in a couple of days.
    Blessings
    jesse clark
  12. Ron Eagle Elk Active Member

Yelm, WA, USA.
    Desmond, Sssshhhh. Don't wanta give away what they are.

Jesse, cool. I like to see folks expanding their tying horizons, hence the reason for the swap.

REE
  13. Anyfish Fishing with the kids

Olympia, WA
    My flies are finished as well. I tied two patterns. Neither one looks all that great, but they will catch fish. I should have them in the mail by the end of the week.

Chris
  14. Ron Eagle Elk Active Member

Yelm, WA, USA.
    Awright, Chris. I'll be looking for them.

REE
  15. Tom Grobelny Member

Snohomish, WA
    I also tied foam bodies. While the flies look pretty much like the fly shop example, I am not too happy with them. These flies are supposedly good searching patterns, but they just don’t look … elegant. Because of this I will try to redeem myself with a second fly. It is also a foam terrestrial, but looks like a good representation of a ….. buggy thing (but no where close to The Shad King’s spiders).

Ron, I should be able to get them out this week.

Tom G
  16. Ron Eagle Elk Active Member

Yelm, WA, USA.
    Elegant? I usually find that ugly flies catch the most fish. Elegant flies catch fishermen. I like you guys and all that, but I prefer fish.

REE
  17. TheShadKing Will Fish For Food

Bellevue, WA
    Ratings: +4 / 0
    iagree
    So far I've been able to tie two kinds of soft hackles:

* those that I find beautiful.
    * those that catch fish.

Unfortunately, it seems like there's a pretty effective discontinuity between the two. The really ugly ones I tied early on are incredibly effective. The pretty ones I tie now, not nearly so. I mean, I had soft hackles that worked during the Salmonfly hatch ... about the last time you'd expect soft hackles to work!

But man, were they UGLY ... about ten too many wraps of the hackle, and the hackle extending more than a full hook gap behind the bend of the hook.

Along the same vein, I can't stand the looks of the crayfish fly I tied. But I think Ron's right about it catching fish ... and I can't wait for the water to warm up enough to see if he's right.

Rolland
  18. Ron Eagle Elk Active Member

Yelm, WA, USA.
    Shad,

I can tie some elegant flies, but they don't catch many fish until they get beat up some. My most effective flies are the rejects from swaps. Those with the imperfect hackle, proportions all wrong or tails way too long. They work even better once they've been hit by a trout or three.

REE
  19. Anyfish Fishing with the kids

Olympia, WA
    Ugly and all.....my flies went out today.
  20. Ron Eagle Elk Active Member

Yelm, WA, USA.
    A fine set of flies from Dylan D arrived today.

Shad, your box arrived but it was full of spiders so I tossed it outside and stomped on it a few time to squish them all. Just kidding! Calm down. Breathe, breathe. Nice looking bugs, Shad.