05-06 Beginner/Intermediate Anti-Shack Nasty Marathon Fly Swap

Discussion in 'Fly Swaps' started by Ron Eagle Elk, Sep 17, 2005.

1. Desmond Wiles Sir Castaline

Snohomish, Wa
    Ratings: +0 / 0
    Just dropped mine off at the post office
  2. Tom Grobelny Member

Snohomish, WA
    I mailed mine yesterday. I am looking forward to seeing the collection.

Tom G
  3. Dylan D Member

West Seattle
    I wrapped mine up last night, just need to tag-n-bag, then they're off to the post office. I ended up doing two variations of the same bug, but don't expect extra credit from me too often. :clown: Should go out tomorrow.
  4. Ed D Member

Fed Way, WA
    Same here, mine just took a little longer than expected. In the mail tommorow though.
    -Ed
  5. Jeff Phillips member

Clinton, WA
    My flies went out yesterday, hopefully everything was correct we will know soon.
  6. Ron Eagle Elk Active Member

Yelm, WA, USA.
    Ratings: +110 / 0
    Ahhhh, the last minute rush, I love it! Two sets of flies arrived in the afternoon mail. I would have posted sooner, but I was taking a nap after getting skunked on the Little D today.

Jeff Phillips, yours arrived today. Tom Grobelny, yours arrived also. Both sets are safe and sound. Very well done fellas. Tom, very nice toe tags. Did you do them on your printer?

The flies are looking good, guys. You are really gonna like this nypmh selection. No pictures until I mail them out though. Don't want to spoil the surprise.

REE
  7. Tom Grobelny Member

Snohomish, WA
    Yes, I made my toe tags on my computer using AutoCad and printed them on 2 sides. I probably could have used PowerPoint etc, but the cad program seemed a bit easer to align the two sided printing.

My wife is into scrapbooking etc so so saw to it that the paper that I used was color coordinated.

Tom G
  8. jessejames Flyslinger

Show Low, Arizona
    Ratings: +348 / 3
    Tom:
    Color coordinated paper!! Jeesh your making it hard on us guys that hand print on lined school notebook paper. Enough of this over achieving. :rofl: :rofl:
    Can't wait to see all the really nice toe tags oh and the flies too.:thumb:
    Blessings
    jesse clark
  9. Wayne Kohan fish-ician

TriCities, WA
    Ratings: +99 / 0
    I don't think that using a cad program and color coordinated paper for the toe tags fits in with this being a "beginner/intermediate" type of fly swap.:ray1:

Wayne (what the heck is a cad program anyway?):confused:
  10. Ron Eagle Elk Active Member

Yelm, WA, USA.
    Hey Guys,

No sweat on the color coordinated paper. With the exception of the December tying contest, the fish are the judges of your flies, and they don't read the tags.

For the new folks, the judges panel for December is made up of fishing buddies of mine. I put on a buffalo feed and they judge your flies in exchange for a meal. I stay out of the judging, so your fate is in the hands of the hungry. No fair putting chocolate chips on your flies.

REE
  11. TheShadKing Will Fish For Food

Bellevue, WA
    Ratings: +4 / 0
    Alright, ok, I admit it!

:confused:

Ok, so I don't know what my deal is. I started tying my nymphs a way back, basically as soon as I signed up. I got off to a great start, tied almost a full dozen and then basically forgot all about it.

I actually have some very good excuses, if'n any of y'all had been at a recent party you might bawling: have heard :beer1: me bawling: about it.

Anyway, I realized rather abruptly a week or so ago that I was behind, and got on the stick and tied the rest of the flies. :thumb:

And then promptly forgot all about mailing them. :beathead:

Anyway, they went in the mail about an hour ago, and I'm sitting here enjoying my latte I bought on the walk back from the post office.

Ron, you should get them tomorrow. Toe tags and all, and yes, I used a printer. :D

Rolland
  12. TheShadKing Will Fish For Food

Bellevue, WA
    So how the heck do you attach a toe tag anyway?

Pardon the perhaps obviousness of my question. But I haven't toe tagged a lot of flies.

I basically decided on a quadruple-overhand (think surgeon's knot with no second line), pulled tight against the shank of the hook.

One loose end gets clipped short, the other taped down to the toe tag.

It seems to work well, but I don't know that won't loosen up during shipping.

Double knotting would have been a pain because both tag ends would have had to be long and my flies had biot tails which get in the way of knots anyway.

Anybody have a truly tried and true method?

Rolland
  13. Ron Eagle Elk Active Member

Yelm, WA, USA.
    Rolland, I usually just stab the toe tags with the hook point. This method works very well on flies that still have the barb, not so good on barbless.

I've also taped them to the hook bend, but that's a bit of a hassle. Your method sounds as good as any I've heard lately.

Imagine my surprise when FedEX came to my door this morning. Another set of flies delivered to my door. There were from the tying bench of Tricho-Treat. Nicely done. Also saved me the thirty foot walk to the mail-box. You guys are gonne spoil me.

REE
  14. Tom Grobelny Member

Snohomish, WA

With the attention my toe tags have gotten, I feel a bit like the guy in the commercial that had the giant can of beer fall on him, but here are my thoughts, bear in mind that this is my fist swap also.

First off the knots for the toe tags will not need the strength that tying off to a tippet will require. I also wanted something that would be reasonably quick and not look too unsightly.

I settled on punching a hole in the tag, treading a piece of 4lb mono through the hole in the tag and through the eye of the fly. I doubled the mono over, aligning the tag ends together and tied a double overhand knot (sort of a surgeon’s knot) and cut the tag ends off. This left a small loop of mono which held the fly and the tag.

Tom G
  15. Theron_D Wishin to be fishin

Colville, WA
    REE,

Dumped my nymphs in the mail on Monday, so you should see them any moment. Ooooh, it's just like Christmas. :)

Theron
  16. Desmond Wiles Sir Castaline

Snohomish, Wa
    Hey Ron, I'll be out of town again all next week. Have my flies shown up yet?
  17. Griswald a.k.a. Griswald

Vashon Island, Wa.
    Ratings: +5 / 0
    REE
    Good sir, my flies are now in the hands of the USPS!
    You should see them tomorrow.
    Best,
    Matthew
  18. TheShadKing Will Fish For Food

Bellevue, WA

I sir, consider myself a very intelligent individual. :rofl:

Yet I am constantly amazed at the sheer obviousness of things I miss.

Using the end of the hook that's there to tie stuff to for a toe tag. Simply amazing. I can't believe I tied the toe tags to the bend of my hooks rather than the eye. :eek:

Yesterday I drove all the way out to Woodinville to get an adapter so I can use my (inherited from my Dad) acetylene regulator on the tank I just bought. The sex of the regulator was wrong ... I told the guy what the problem was and he said "huh?", and so I repeated myself, and so he picked up my regulator and unscrewed the female-female adapter that was on the regulator and handed them both back to me and said "Will there be anything else?" without a hint of a smirk on his face. :eek:

Thanks,

Rolland
  19. Ron Eagle Elk Active Member

Yelm, WA, USA.
    Desmond,

Yes Sir, they arrived yesterday afternoon, I believe. Looking good too.

REE
  20. Ron Eagle Elk Active Member

Yelm, WA, USA.
    More flies graced the mailbox this afternoon. Flies are in from TheShadKing and Theron DePaulo. First rate flies from both. You hardcore nymph fishermen are gonna love this selection of flies.

REE