05-06 Beginner/Intermediate Anti-Shack Nasty Marathon Fly Swap

Discussion in 'Fly Swaps' started by Ron Eagle Elk, Sep 17, 2005.

1. Ron Eagle Elk

Ron Eagle Elk Active Member

Media:
    Rolland,

Thanks for the heads up, Buddy. Keeps me from chewing my fingernails to the quick.

REE

2. Ron Eagle Elk

Media:
    Some good news and some bad news. First the good. Flies arrived from The Shad King, Tricho-Treat, Matt Grinwald and Desmond Wiles. Nicely done all around.

Now the bad news. Jeff Phillips has run into a problem and won't be able to get his November Flies in on time. He asked if he could send them with the January flies and I said yes, but he won't be eligible for the tying contest in December. That's how things were handled last year. I hope that sounds fair to everyone.

With that in mind, flies are still out from Theron DePaulo, D. Heike, and John Clark with one day to go. C'mon USPS.

REE

3. TheShadKing

TheShadKing Will Fish For Food

:thumb: I'd like to give a shout out to the USPS; I mailed those at 5:45 last night from Bellevue.

That's amazing for a dollar's worth of postage.

:beer2:

Rolland

4. TheShadKing

TheShadKing Will Fish For Food

Ok, so here's the low-down on my flies and toe tags

When tying my stone fly nymph in the first round, I came across Lagartun's tinsel. It was so much better quality, and is available in so many sizes, I switched over to it completely.

I came up with what I think is a pretty nice soft hackle for this month's round. Unfortunately, I labeled the toe tags with what I thought was the wrong size tinsel. As it turned out, halfway through I inadvertently switched tinsel sizes, and I discovered this only after re-marking all of the toe tags.

Both tinsel sizes look very good on that size soft hackle (at least in my not-so-humble opinion), so I didn't re-tie any of them. But some of you will get doubly marked toe tags. Sorry about that.

In all cases, the marking of the toe tag is the correct size of the tinsel in case you're wondering what size I used. The smallest tinsel sizes from Lagartun are fairly hard to tell apart, so I'm not sure it really matters, but it might to you, so I wanted y'all to know that.

And if any of y'all are Wazzu fans, well, I apologize, I was going to do two soft hackles but I've got way too much stuff going on and just didn't have the time.

Rolland

5. jessejames

jessejames Flyslinger

Media:
    Ron:
    John Clark said he mailed his last week, late.. so hopefully they will arrive tomorrow.
    Blessings
    jesse clark

6. Ron Eagle Elk

Media:
    Jesse,

Thanks for the update.

REE

7. Ron Eagle Elk

Media:
    Theron DePalo's flies arrived today, leaving D Heike and John Clark still out.

I'll be taking the pics in the morning and shipping in the afternoon.

REE

8. hatenot2fish

hatenot2fish New Member

Media:
    My apologies......I will have to get my flies in late but none the less.....Somethings came up......At any rate, Happy Holidays everyone!

Darrin Heike <><

9. Ron Eagle Elk

Media:
    HateNot2Fish,

If you haven't already mailed your flies, hold them until you send in the flies for January. All the flies that were in on time have already been mailed out to the swappers. I did reserve a set of the flies for you and John Clark.

To be fair to those who are on time with the flies, you and John Clark are ineligible for the December tying contest.

For the rest of you folks, My sincere apologies once again. I was getting ready to post the pictures of your excellent flies when I noticed that I forgot to ask Chris to set up a catagory for us. I'll be posting those when the gallery is set up for them. All of you did a great job on those wet flies. Not only in the terms of well tied, beautiful flies, but in selecting flies with...let's say interesting names. You'll understand when the pics are posted..

Well done one and all.

REE

10. Anyfish

Anyfish Fishing with the kids

REE:

You should have recieved my flies, as I was the first to send them in. You had posted that by PM and here. Was this a mistake of names in the last post?

11. Ron Eagle Elk

Media:
    My apologies to Anyfish. I made the post in a rush and typed in his screen name instead of HateNot2Fish's. Sorry Chris, you are more than eligible for the contest. Not only have I received all your flies on time, your usually first in.

When I was uploading the pics to the gallery we lost our phone service, so there was a 1/2 hour or so between the first batch of flies being posted and the last batch. They are all up in the gallery now, and the actual flies are well on their way to you.

Nicely done one and all.

REE

12. Randy Diefert

Randy Diefert aka: Longears

Holy Smokes! Got my flies today. Wow, Are there some good looking specimins in there!
    Thanks guys; It just keeps getting better and better. You guys are awesome!

13. Anyfish

Anyfish Fishing with the kids

iagree

Great job everyone.

14. Ron Eagle Elk

Media:
    I don't know about you guys with an "In" at the Post Office. That's darn fine service. Randy, I agree, I think everyone is sandbagging.

REE

15. Bill Douglas

Bill Douglas blue collar dirtbag

Media:
    I think the boy (16 months) hid the mailbox key from me. I can't find it anywhere. I can't get my darned mail bawling: .

I'm sure my flies are there, and probably a notice telling me that I'm a millionaire and no longer need to make boxes for a living :thumb: .

16. Ron Eagle Elk

Media:
    Bill, you better find it quick, you only have 24 hours to claim that 5 million dollars in prize money from the Kenya Lottery (that you didn't enter). Don't forget to send them the 5 thousand dollar deposit they require to expedite your claim to the winnings.

More importantly, the weather is great for fishing and your fine collection of wet flies is in the mailbox.

REE

17. Tom Grobelny

Tom Grobelny Member

Media:
    There are some really good looking wet flies.

When I first tried to tie a partrage and green I thought what a simple fly, this one will be easy. Boy was I wrong. With this style fly every wrap is critical, every thread bump will show. These flies take a lot of care to get right. Good job guys!

Tom G

18. Dylan D

Dylan D Member

Media:
    Nice flies everybody. I've beat the system, yet again. :beer1:

19. jessejames

jessejames Flyslinger

Media:
    I really love soft hackle flies and fish them a lot. This collection has some great looking flies. I haven't gotten mine in the mail yet but the pix are great as usual (nice job REE). I can't wait to see these flies and then try them out. Thanks for the great job everyone.
    Blessings
    jesse clark

20. Ron Eagle Elk

Media:
    I've said it before, but flies that don't work don't stay around long. Wet flies have been around since fly fishing started. They're still here because they work and work well. I have caught more fish with wet flies than anything else in my boxes, with the most fish going to the Partridge and (insert your favorite body color here). There's just something about them that will trigger the predatory instinct in fish.

Nicely done one and all.

REE