05-06 Beginner/Intermediate Anti-Shack Nasty Marathon Fly Swap

Discussion in 'Fly Swaps' started by Ron Eagle Elk, Sep 17, 2005.

1. Shad King's Christmas fly arrived today. I'm really glad I'm not judging this. There are some really cool flies arriving for this conteast.

REE

2. Mine is in the mail as of yesterday. My brain is still crapming from trying to come up with ideas. I'm going to take a break and build a fly rod these next couple of weeks.

wayne

3. Hey Desmond,

Your fly arrived in the afternoon mail. All I can say is "It's beginning to look a lot like Christmas" around here.

REE

4. The mail box was filled today with Christmas Flies from Jesse James, Wayne Kohan and Matt Grunwald (okay so it was Max, Matt's 4 year old son).

Just so everyone knows what's in, I have flies from Matt Grunwald, Tom Grobelny, The Shad King, Jesse James, Desmond Wiles, Wayne Kohan, Randy Diefert and AnyFish.

Time is quickly running out, folks.

REE

5. Actually, I think it will be really easy to determine the winners.

The hard part is trying to figure out which of the 8 or so first place flies should get the hackle. :D

Rolland

6. With fifteen talented tiers in the swap and only seven entries?? You guys are making the odds much better in this contest. I was the recipient of one of Denny's hackles last year and it was worth the efort.
    Blessings
    jesse clark

7. Jesse,

I'm hoping the mailbox will be filled this afternoon, just to flesh out the field a little. Your right about the talent here. You guys are really underrating yourselves as beginner/intermediate tiers. Wait till you see the stuff from those that have only been tying a short time. Really nice flies.

REE

8. So today's the big day! Feed those guys good Ron!! Look'n forward to the pics.

Des

9. Howdy All,

First, the bad news. My judges had to cancel due to a death in the family and I refuse to be the judge in this one.

Now the good news. I didn't have to do a buffalo feed so I took all the flies to a local shop and set them up on a numbered board so no names were used. The proprietor and shop folks plus any fly tiers who happened into the shop were given a chance to vote (including Sixfinger, a member of this board) on your flies and the judging is complete.

First, I'm glad I wasn't judging this contest. There were so many fine creations that I really couldn't choose between them. Even the folks who don't know you had a hard time. There was one point separating the first three places with the rest following closely behind.

The winners are: Da-ta-da-dah!

1st Place - Wayne Kohan

2d Place - Desmond Wiles

3d Place - The Shad King

We don't have a spot in the gallery yet for these flies, but I'll post the pictures in a separate thread on the main board so they have the wide audience they deserve.

You are some very talented and artistic tiers. Every fly was well done and really showed your creative side. Congratulations to all of you on a job very well done.

You are all just flat out amazing tiers.

REE

10. Here's my fly

I can't wait to see the other flies. The ones from last year were incredibly impressive.

I took a picture of mine before I sent it out. The bulk of the fly is a dubbing wire with a combination of Bennecchi's silver-green thread, green wire, and the two twisted together. The "lights" are small beads on Largartun's tinsel.

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

11. Very Cool!, Congradulations you guys.
    And have a very Merry Christmas!

12. Okay guys, I'm posting apologies all over the place on this one and am truely embarrassed. After the judging I placed two of the flies in the wrong containers and subsequently gave credit to the wrong tiers for the first and third place flies. It was Wayne Kohan's Angel that garnered the First and The Shad King's Christmas tree that took Third Place. Both have been notified by e-mail or PM and apologies, along with corrections, have been posted on the main board and the gallery.

Sorry folks. My error completely. I am NEVER running two identical swaps again!

REE

13. No big deal Ron. Thanks for running the swap!

My fly was my wife's idea as I was trying to decide what to do. I used white maribou for the bottom as well as the wings. The thorax was started with plastic bead eyes and then dubbing and white polypro covered with pearl krystal flash. It made for a "well-endowed" thorax. The head was made from pearl E-Z shape body with krystal flash as hair.

I was stoked about getting third place, but shocked about first amongst all those cool flies.:eek: I was impressed by all of the flies.

Wayne :rofl:

14. Despite the mix-up, I am really glad I didn't have to judge this contest. Every fly was a labor of love of the tiers art and clearly showed the time spent designing and tying the fly. There's no way I could have made the picks. I'm really glad all I have to do is count votes.

REE

15. WOW. I am glad that I was not the judge. Very well done everyone. Wayne's Angel was very impressive.

Chris

16. For you guys that scored big on the tying contest, according to Denny, "The bird fuzz shipped today". If you haven't tied with Denny's hackle yet, your in for a treat.

Be expecting an e-mail before New Years Day. Gotta get geared back up for the next phase of the swap, Streamers.

REE

17. Got mine in the mail today. Awesome stuff. Thanks again Denny, and Ron for setting this up.

Wayne

18. Wayne,
    Glad you liked the bird fuzz, as Denny calles it. After you tie a few flies with it, let me know how you like it.

REE

19. Hey, how's the streamers coming? I find the football playoffs are perfect for tying. Got twelve of them done already. Using some deer hair for the head. The smartest thing I did was to get Kevlar thread for the hair spinning. Can't break that stuff. I almost enjoy spinning hair now........

Funny thing though. My regular thread for the boddy keeps breaking. Last time I use Danville 6-0. I will stick with Uni thread or Wapsi.

Wayne

20. Wayne,

I used Danville 6/0 for years with no problems unless I nicked the thread on the hook point, which I did often. Now I'm usuing Uni 8/0, Gudebrod 10/0 or Bennechi 12/0 for almost everything.

Be expecting an e-mail shortly folks.

REE