05-06 Beginner/Intermediate Anti-Shack Nasty Marathon Fly Swap

Discussion in 'Fly Swaps' started by Ron Eagle Elk, Sep 17, 2005.

1. jessejames

jessejames Flyslinger

Media:
    I got my streamers all done last night. A real neat baitfish pattern tied clouser style. They will be in the mail by the end of the week.
    Blessings
    jesse clark

2. Desmond Wiles

Desmond Wiles Sir Castaline

Media:
    I had a mix up with the post office NOT delivering my hackle from Denny, but got that all cleared up when I picked it up on Saturday. Ron, I guess you were'nt kidding that it pays to tip your driver!! Anyways, for being grade 2 hackle, I am impressed with the hackle and the color too. I'll be looking forward to using it for next months dry fly swap!!

My streamers are coming along well, I'm about half way there already!

3. Randy Diefert

Randy Diefert aka: Longears

Ron , sent Januarys pkg. out today.
    you should see it tomorow or Wednesday.
    Randy;)

4. Ron Eagle Elk

Ron Eagle Elk Active Member

Media:
    Hey Fellers,

Sorry, been out dealing with a small crises for a while, having trouble keeping caught up.

Thanks for the heads up Jesse and Randy. Looking forward to having my mailbox full of flies again.

Desmond, glad you got that straightened out with the USPS. I'm pretty impressed with Denny's hackle too. It's hard to beat it, especially when you consider the price.

Later,

REE

5. TheShadKing

TheShadKing Will Fish For Food

Denny's hackle

I'll wait until I get my camera back to post a real review, and then I'll do it in a more visible manner than this posting, but I have several comments I'd like to throw out.

1.) Denny just seems like a great guy. I had a good time talking to him, and learned a lot to boot. Besides, anybody who mails people he doesn't know merchandise they haven't paid for, just assuming that they'll eventually get around to mailing him a check, has to be a great guy.

2.) I got as my (thanks Ron!) prize a #2 cape in "cree like dun" or some such name; I have the name written down at home and I apologize for not remembering what color Denny called it. He doesn't list it on his web site, and this is NOT the cree skin for which he maintains a first-come list.

3.) I also ordered on my own nickle, three JV skins, I think brown (furnace?), grizzly, and a light grizzly (barred cream? again, can't remember).

I think in both that the cape and especially the JV skins, Denny's offering a great product that's not otherwise available in the market.

The color of the cape is outstanding. Having seen it, I think the blue dun cree is a better color than a true cree. While I wish the hackle sweet spot was longer than it is, it's certainly long enough and the quill is of good quality for tying. This is going to be one of my favorite, if not my favorite, capes to tie from.

Denny also leaves the side feathers on his dry capes, so you get a fair number of bonus streamer feathers & a bunch that are good for tailing. This is nice.

The JV skins: Denny talked me into picking up a couple of these as a possible substitute for partridge on wet hackles. I've been tying my wet hackles down to about a 22 on a short light wire emerger hook, and this is just a pain with partridge ... the quill seems even weaker than the barbules on the small partridge feathers and I break far more than I wrap. This is even assuming I can find feathers small enough to tie with; most partridge feathers seem to go to about size 18 and then they don't get shorter.

The JV skins, on the other hand, are full of feathers that can be wrapped onto a 22 hook; heck I swear you could tie a 42 with some of those feathers! And the quill is strong but incredibly flexible. Tying a 22 with the JV feathers is not harder than tying a 16.

Also, the color on the brown skin is outstanding, very pretty.

I want to do a bit more water tank testing to verify that there's enough flexibility in the barbules of the JV feathers in the small size to make a good soft hackle, but the flies look good. It's not a true substitute for partridge, since the partridge feathers are evenly spotted on a per-individual-barbule basis, whereas the the JV barbules are typically solid individually. But still, I won't be trying to tie small soft hackles with partridge anymore.

If I was going to quibble about this, it'd be nice if the paper backing included with the skins was a bit sturdier (and cut a bit narrower) so it's easier to get the skins back in the bags. Ziplocs would be a nice bonus, too, but these obviously aren't huge issues. :thumb:

Rolland

6. Desmond Wiles

Media:
    Rolland,
    Good review on the hackle you received.

7. Ron Eagle Elk

Media:
    Rolland,

Good report! I had the same problems as you getting the backing card back into the envelope, until Liz, Denny's daughter, showed me how to flex the backing a bit before sliding it back into the plastic sleeve. Duh!

Is anyone sick of rain yet?

REE

8. TheShadKing

Rain & flex

I'll have to try flexing the backing paper. I might just put a permanent crease in it, which would help with the stiffness as well.

The sunlight on the way to work was literally blinding; I had to close one eye and squint with the other to see. And me on my motorcycle. :p

Personally, after this much rain I'd like to see the record get broken. But I remember all the slides from the mid-90s and don't particularly want to see a repeat of those.

Rolland

9. Anyfish

Anyfish Fishing with the kids

My streamers are done. I will get them sent out either tomorrow or early next week. If the rain keeps up, I am going to need a boat to get to the post office :D

10. Wayne Kohan

Wayne Kohan fish-ician

Media:
    Mine are boxed and ready. Heading to the post office later this am. Time to start looking at emerger patterns.......

Wayne

11. Ron Eagle Elk

Media:
    Wayne,

That's the attitude I like to see.

Anyfish,

We have the 'toons tied to the front porch just in case the Nisqually gets too much higher. Just kidding, we're about 150 feet above the river and well back from it's banks (like 2 blocks).

REE

12. Anyfish

Anyfish Fishing with the kids

REE:

Flies went in the mail this morning. Should be to you in a day or so.

Anyfish

13. Ron Eagle Elk

Media:
    Hi Guys,

Sorry I haven't been keeping up to snuff here. We've had some guests that equired a lot of our time. Things are almost back to normal.

To keep everyone better informed of your flies arrivals, I'll be updating the first post of the swap as they come in. It is up to date now, with flies in from Wayne Kohan, Randy Diefert and Jesse Clark.

I have no word from John Clark as to his status in the swap as yet.

REE

14. TheShadKing

On to the toe tags!

Actually, I have to do some final head cementing as well.

15 OACs (one armed crayfish) are ready to go ... and they are about as ugly as, well, a bottom feeder. :rofl:

I think I actually got the color matched fairly well to a live signal crayfish, so we'll see.

It's a new pattern, so I can't guarantee your success with it. However, I can guarantee that every fly water within a decent light plane ride from here has roughly a 90% chance of having crayfish in it ... and about a 99.5% chance that the trout you're casting to hasn't seen a crayfish pattern. :thumb:

Rolland

ps. on to my three dozen emergers, 'cause like an idiot I signed up for another swap too! :confused:

15. Ron Eagle Elk

Media:
    Thanks por the update Rolland.

Anyfish, your streamers arrived in the afternoon mail. Lookin goooood!!!

REE

16. jessejames

jessejames Flyslinger

Media:
    Hey swappers:
    I just talked to John Clark and unfortunatly he is out of the swap. He got a new job and responsibilities and is out of town all week. He said he was sorry for not keeping up his end of the deal.
    Blessings
    jesse

17. Desmond Wiles

Media:
    Responsibilities SUCK!!!

Well hopefully the job he landed was a good one!

18. Ed D

Ed D Member

Media:
    Mine are done and going to mail tommorow or Monday. I don't think I'll be tying any more marabou muddlers for a while....yikes.
    -Ed

19. Wayne Kohan

Wayne Kohan fish-ician

Media:
    Hey Ed

I know the feeling. I tied maribou muddlers as well. I did it because I was so lousy at spinning deer hair, so the experience helped. But it was a lot of work.

Wayne

20. Ron Eagle Elk

Media:
    Jesse,

Please pass on to John my best wishes. I know he was busting his hump with everything he had on his plate. No hard feelings here.

Guys, I hate spinning deer hair. I'm just not very good at it. VEE, on the other hand does a great job of it. When I do a fly that requires spun deer hair, I do everything except the deer hair, then hand the fly off to VEE. Tag team fly tying, works for us.

REE