09 Ross Lake/Upper Skagit Trip

Discussion in 'Trip Reports with Pics' started by Tony Mull, Oct 8, 2009.

1. Tony Mull

Tony Mull Member

Media:
    Me and buddy Duane headed accross the border to Hozameen. The road, having been regraded in the spring and early summer was now full of bad washboards and some monster potholes. Naturally I picked this year to pull the "good" trailer in and it arrived with insides rearranged, things having fallen out of places they had been secure in for several trips. We got our usual panoramic lakeside campsite and found the mosquitos to be only horrible (as opposed the the usual unbearable). Liberally doused with 100% DEET we got down to some fishing. Prospecting for concentrations of rainbows was uneventful the first afternoon and we only got 2-3 fish each. The next morning we headed up into the lower river and found schools of bulls with some rainbows as expected. It was not till late afternoon, after Duane had started rowing for camp, that I solved the riddle and landed 3 bulls of 20,21, and 24". Expecting to catch nothing larger than a 20" rainbow or maybe a bigger bull or two I had nothing heavier than a pair of 3 weights, one of which I'd finished just a couple of days before, I thought what a great initiation for the new rod. Over those 4 days I netted 21 bulls over 20" and another 7 that were 19" as well as several smaller ones, all on that newest 3 weight. The largest was 25" and probably weighed 7 lbs and there were two 24" that both looked to be close to 6 lbs. I had 3 break-offs, pretty good considering my 4lb maxima tippets. One was at the hookset on a big fish going away and a second was due to ignoring a windknot. By the last two days schools of rainbows started to show up at the river mouth and it was refreshing to see fish go airborn again, we took several up to 18" and many smaller ones. Great trip for bulls, it seemed we were a little early for rainbows. Here's a couple of pics and more in my gallery.

2. Mark Walker

Mark Walker Active Member

Good report & nice pics.
    OOOOOO....don't you just hate ignoring that wind knot! And you know, deep down, you're gonna hook a big one and farm it! Did it this summer too! My biggest brown ever and I' still kickin' myself in the ass for it.

3. Tony Mull

Tony Mull Member

Media:
    even worse, after i first noticed it (just after tying on a new fly) i hooked a 20" bull and landed it, all the while expecting the knot to break. Then I was kind of smug till i hooked another one and toward the middle of the fight - snap! double stupid. :rofl:

4. Mark Walker

Mark Walker Active Member

"Pride goeth before the fall" my friend. If that's you in your avatar, we're both "seasoned" enough to know better, but still spry enough to get the rare case of the "humbled".

5. Matt Baerwalde

Matt Baerwalde ...

Media:
    Thanks for the report; looks like you got into some good ones.