1 wt rods under $200?

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by Jpfish, Jun 17, 2013.

1. Bill Aubrey

Bill Aubrey Active Member

Anybody played with the Elkhorn 2 wt?

2. Mark Mercer

Mark Mercer Member

I don't have the 2wt but have the Elkhorn 8'6" 3wt 5pc, (med fast) not a bad rod for the money but works better with a 4wt line. I think the CT is a better rod. I've had it since they first came out, in fact I've broken it twice, my fault. It used to be $30 + shipping for a new section, I think it's gone up since then, but hassle free if you do brake one.

Mark

3. Brooks Werner

Brooks Werner Member

Check out www.rdpflyrods.com, I believe they source their own blanks and you can buy a 'stock' rod or have them customize it for an extremely reasonable price. I haven't tried them personally, just came across them searching the web for lighter weight rods one day. Now they're on my radar to try.

4. tridentfly

tridentfly Member

JP, the TFO Finesse is the only rod I can think of in this price range (there aren't many 1-weights overall). I haven't cast it, but others in the Finesse series are great.

If you want to go up to a 2wt, the Redington Tempt is a great choice under $200.

5. Jpfish

Jpfish Member

Those rods look great. i think that is what im going to end up purchasing in the near future.

Brooks Werner likes this.
  6. wadin' boot

wadin' boot Donny, you're out of your element...

Gary Knowels and Mark Mercer like this.
  7. luv2fly2

luv2fly2 Active Member

please dont think i am negative, but a rod that small will kill a lot of fish if it is used improperly. if a big fish is hooked and is played for a long time the fish will swim off when released and might die from exhaustion and build up of whatever gas they get.. i personally believe a 3 weight should be the smallest but that is just me. mike w

wadin' boot likes this.
  8. WA-Fly

WA-Fly Active Member

does any one know where I can get a tube for one of these rods?

9. Craig Hardt

Craig Hardt aka Nagasaurus

10. WA-Fly

WA-Fly Active Member

11. Jpfish

Jpfish Member

I have figured out which rod i am getting. now does anybody have a good idea on a good click pawl reel for a 1wt? I am leaning to buying something used. The only reasonably priced reel i have found new is the new orvis battenkill 1. If anybody has an idea on something used i could find on ebay that is reasonably priced that would be awsome.

thank you

12. David Loy

David Loy Senior Moment

Pfleugar Medalist #1492.

13. Drifter

Drifter Active Member

14. Danielocean

Danielocean Steelhead Virgin

Wow I did not know that 1 wts even existed. Kinda cool actually I figure it out be like holding nothing in your hand.

15. Kent Lufkin

Kent Lufkin Remember when you could remember everything?

Naw. A 0wt or a 00wt is what nothing feels like.

K

16. Danielocean

Danielocean Steelhead Virgin

Just looked at my bank account and got the same feeling. LOL

Kent Lufkin likes this.