10/22 ?

Discussion in 'Cast & Blast' started by surfnsully, Nov 26, 2013.

1. surfnsully Active Member

Happy Valley, OR
    Ratings: +42 / 0
    What do you use your 10/22 ruger for?
  2. Gary Thompson dirty dog

East Wenatchee, WA
    Ratings: +131 / 0
    first of all I'd have to buy bullets.
    Good luck with that!
  3. steelydan Newb seeking wisdom

Sammamish WA
    Ratings: +28 / 0
    10/22 is good for burning up ammo.
    I have one totally tricked out and my mostly stock bolt gun will easily outshoot it.
    If you're interested, I'd sell it.
  4. chadk Be the guide...

Snohomish, WA.
    Ratings: +41 / 0
    I have a 10/22 I bought for my kids to shoot mainly. Nice and light weight. But upon reflection, I prefer a bolt action for accuracy and more focus on shot placement and less on burning up ammo... So we spend more time focusing on shooting the bolt action for practice and training, and then pull out the slightly modified 10\22 with 25 round mag and red dot sight just for some fun.
  5. Salmo_g Active Member

Your City ,State
    Ratings: +1,688 / 0
    I don't have a 10/22, but I think I read it is the most popular 22 in the U.S. I think what most people use them for is seeing how fast they can make a box of ammo disappear.

Sg
  6. zen leecher aka bill w born to work, forced to fish

Moses Lake, WA
    Ratings: +1,030 / 1
    Mine takes care of what would be an empty slot in my gun safe.
  7. surfnsully Active Member

Happy Valley, OR
    I use it on camping trips to scare all the varmints away :)
  8. William Wallace Active Member

Chesterton IN
    Ratings: +200 / 0
    Mainly for daughter to shoot! But use for grouse and rabbits, when I lived in Midwest used it on squirrels. Mine is very accurate and can take the head of a grouse of at 50yds with no problem.
  9. Jim Ficklin Genuine Montana Fossil

Columbia Basin
    Ratings: +684 / 0
    Nice reliable rifle & fun to tinker with. I've customized quite a few; the one I have now is feather-light & surgically-precise at .22LR range (and somewhat beyond). As for burning-up ammo? That's an operator-induced function. Magazine, bolt, & receiver are the only OEM parts left on this one. These are great project guns.

[IMG]
  10. Rick Todd Active Member

Ferndale/Winthrop
    Ratings: +237 / 0
    That is a gorgeous gun Jim-who did you have do all the mods? I would like to have one like that! Rick
  11. Krusty Active Member

Spokane, WA
    Ratings: +610 / 0
    Well...it's starting to ease up a bit, which is good, because indoor target shooting (mostly with scoped Ruger Mark III's) and flytying are about the only winter recreation I have. Maybe the 22 ammo hoarders have gotten their fill. Frigging hysteria.

I bought a 10/22 for my grandson a few years ago, and put a red-dot scope on it. Also have a Ruger SR 22 with a red-dot and 25 round banana magazines for the rest of the grandkids to enjoy burning up ammo. And yes, they do quite well with iron sights too.
  12. Krusty Active Member

Spokane, WA
    Ratings: +610 / 0
  13. Jim Ficklin Genuine Montana Fossil

Columbia Basin
    Thanks, guys. I've built all of mine & those of the Kids. This one is a tad overboard (cabin fever re-build, lol.) . . . aluminum Tac-Sol barrel with bore insert/liner, Kidd 2-stage trigger, jeweled bolt (actually was easy to do with a machinist vise, drill press, cratex rod and a bit of practice; if you do make a mistake, you just go back over it.), bought the stock on line, pillar-bedded the action screw & bedded the receiver, custom bolt handle/spring assembly, aftermarket Claw extractor & firing pin, & custom mag release. It's capable of greater accuracy than I am anymore. Scope is a Mueller 8-25; I changed to medium mounts after this pic was taken, so it sits lower now. Gophers can't hide in the thickest grass anymore.
    Krusty and surfnsully like this.
  14. surfnsully Active Member

Happy Valley, OR
    I want to get a takedown model for floats in out of the way locations for fun and to keep the riffraff away.
  15. John Dude Learned skills from George Dickel

Kirkland, WA
    Ratings: +2 / 0

That stock is the Volquardtson one, right?
  16. Josh dead in the water

NW Washington
    Ratings: +508 / 2
    Looks like a Boyds Evolution.
  17. Jim Ficklin Genuine Montana Fossil

Columbia Basin
    Boyd's would be correct. The action was just painstakingly bedded.
  18. Roper Idiot Savant

Glenraven Ranch
    Ratings: +792 / 1
    My only gripe with them is the short LOP, but that's what makes it a great youth gun.
  19. Jim Ficklin Genuine Montana Fossil

Columbia Basin
    Which is another reason to love these, or .22's in-general . . . they make you a kid again . . .
  20. Rick Todd Active Member

Ferndale/Winthrop
    Ratings: +237 / 0
    I won a Remington 597 at a National Wild Turkey Federation banquet a couple years ago and after a lot of rounds through it with the grandkids, I took it apart, installed an after market hammer and extractor, and cleaned it up. Free floated the barrel and the thing is a tack driver! Fun to shoot at the range and who knows, I may hunt squirrels with it some day! BTW-was watching speed steel at Islanders range last Sunday and the .22 might be fun for that as well! Rick