10-foot single hand 7 & 8 weight rods ?

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by Robert Engleheart, Apr 11, 2013.

1. Robert Engleheart

Robert Engleheart Robert

Spent the last couple years trying to dial in the greased line, skating and other techniques on a single hander. Really feel challenged and like the whole concept so I feel I need to upgrade my 9'-6" x 6,7 & 8 weight rods to a 10 footer in a 7 or 8. The choice would be a Hardy Sintrix or Sage One if my budget were open, but it's tax time and some other bills have come up so I'm considering a "2nd tier" price range; something along the lines of a Beulah Platinum (9'-9" x 7 wt.) or an Echo3 in 10' x 7 or 8. Anyone have any experience with these rods or others I should consider? Of course, I'm always looking on the used market and would consider the venerable Z-Axis or Loomis GLX as well. Is there something else in this size I should consider?

2. Freestone

Freestone Not to be confused with freestoneangler

Media:
    Until I broke it a couple years ago, my favorite steelhead rod was my Scott 10' 8wt SAS. It was awesome for skating and swinging but still had enough guts to throw and mend a nymph rig. I could fish it all day without feeling like I'd been beat up. I loved that rod but I bought it used and it was going to be expensive to fix it. I still might get it fixed someday as it is one of my all-time favorite rods.

3. RustE

RustE drifting about

Scott A3 series is a popular option in my region.

4. Klickrolf

Klickrolf Active Member

Sage 8100-3 RPL (10' 8wt 3pc, not the RPL+), best steelhead single hander I've ever come across. An excellent all around rod, not fast, not slow, does everything well, even spey casts.