10 ft 4wt build

Discussion in 'Rod Building' started by jersey, Nov 15, 2013.

1. jersey

jersey livin' the dream

Looking for some advice on a new build, maybe on the Pac Bay blank or others? Not sure if Allen FF would offer a blank, but any first-hand experience would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance

2. LD

LD Active Member

Media:
    I am in the process of building one of the pac bay blanks. Seems like a nice blank and is a good value. Sorry I am not done so can't really gibe an update. I have built one of the switch rods and they are nice. I have not heard anything bad about the action of the rods?

3. jersey

jersey livin' the dream

thanks LD

4. Steve Saville

Steve Saville Active Member

If it's any help, I went on e-bay a few days ago looking for something else and wound up buying a 3 wt., 11 ', 4 pc. blank. It's an IM 6 blank. Cost... $17.42 plus shipping. At that price, how can you go wrong? Obviously the balnks are rolled out of country somewhere. I need to find components when it gets here. I think I'll be taking the blank to Angler's Workshop down south of here. That doesn't help you much but the guy had numerous sizes and lengths for sale and the prices were really low. I can't attest to the quality yet as they are scheduled to arrive in the next couple of days but when I get it, I'll give you a shout. I'm a novice builder having built only three rods previously but the small investment may come up big with a 3 wt. switch rod perfect for trout.

5. golfman44

golfman44 4-Time Puget Sound Steelhead Guide of the Year

Media:
    Steve, any guess on how much total will it end up being after its built? I've never built one before but this sounds intriguing...

6. Steve Saville

Steve Saville Active Member

Depends on the quality of the components. There are cheap to expensive components. My plan is to buy a good quality handle, reel seat, etc plus decent guides. I would guess I will pay about $75 for the lot so my rod will probably be around a hundred bucks altogether; pretty cheap for a decent switch rod but it will take a bit of time to build. Time is money. That is why good quality rods cost as much as they do.

golfman44 likes this.
  7. golfman44

golfman44 4-Time Puget Sound Steelhead Guide of the Year

Media:
    Thanks for the info