10wt Rod??

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by 8wtflyrod, Mar 15, 2007.

1. 8wtflyrod take me fishing

Bellingham
    Ratings: +0 / 0
    I am a beginning fly fisher (12 months now!) and currently own an 8wt rod for general use (steelhead, coho) in NW Washington. I will be making a couple trips to SE AK this year and one of those trips will be during the King run. Therefore, I am thinking about buying an "inexpensive" single handed 10 wt for use on the larger fish. It feels like I've already broken the bank to gear up this far so I want to keep the purchase around $150-200. I already have the reel.

Any thoughts on decent rods in this range? I am more interested in warranty, customer service and where the rod is manufactured than anything else. TFO, Echo, Cabela's?

Thanks in advance for the help.
  2. Mark Bové Chasin tail

Spokane
    Get a Echo IMO they are the best rod for the money. I just picked up one for my steelhead guide stick.
  3. Surf_Candy Member

Bainbridge Island, WA.
    never tossed an Echo, but like my TFO TICRx's
  4. Sloan Craven Active Member

NoSho, ma
    Ratings: +30 / 0
    I've played around with both echo and TFo and think they are both better than Cabela's . A buddy just got and Echo 9 wt and loves it. Echo IIs are more expensive, but have an extra tip. Echos also come with a tube, which you will need for traveling.

So I would boil down your choices as such:
    Echo Classic $169
    Echo II 1090 $279
    TFO Pro 1090 $150 + Rod tube $27
    TFO Jim 1090 Teeney $195 + Rod tube $27
    TFO TiCr 1090 $229 + Rod tube $27
  5. rainbow My name is Mark Oberg

Renton wa
    Ratings: +78 / 0
    If you can get a good warrenty, its worth the extra 100. Expecially king fishing. Sage fli for around 250.00, etc.
  6. Steelie Mike Active Member

Camas, WA
    Ratings: +24 / 0
    The customer service is great with both companies, but the overall product is going to be better with an Echo rod. I have casted both the Echo and Echo 2 rods and find that they are excellent rods for the price point. You will find the overall quality control is better for their rods because it is done both overseas and when the rods get to their distributor here in Washington. Rajeff Sports does an excellent job with their products. An example of quality control problems is their corks falling to pieces after a couple days on the water.

[IMG]
    There is a reason why there is tape on the cork handle of this TFO TicrX.

In regards to Cabelas, make sure they give you a lifetime warrantly on their products if you choose to go with them.
  7. Sloan Craven Active Member

NoSho, ma
    That's defintely important. With both Echo and TFO you're getting a great lifetime warrenty.
  8. hendersonbaylocal Member

Seattle WA
    I have heard alot of people complain about the cork on the TFOs, but I have two rods that I have fished hard and the cork is still holding up. They are great sticks for the money. Signature series or series 1, whatever its called now is probably the best bargain, but they are 2 peice. The pro 4 peice is a great rod for the price.
  9. Porter Active Member

Kenmore, WA, USA.
    Ratings: +530 / 0
    Teeny rods appear to be the hot seller for TFO now. Seems to fit within your budget and a good warranty :thumb:
  10. Sloan Craven Active Member

NoSho, ma
    Also, check out Beulah. They are great rods at a great price, too.
  11. hikepat Patrick

Des Moines, WA, USA.
    Ratings: +12 / 0
    I guess I will be finding out how good my TFO 10-wt does on those Kings come the end of June. I fly out of Seattle Jun 14 and will be in AK Kenia till Jun 31st.
  12. Charlie Erdman In search of steel

K. Falls, OR
    Don't over look St. Croix. Lifetime warranty I believe, and nice rods for the money. I have a 10wt that I love.
  13. Flyboy@ak Member

Anchorage, AK
    8wtflyrod:

I use a Teeny series TFO 10wt. Mostly for kings and sheefish. Nice rod. Broke it on a 40lb sheefish, and had a whole new rod in my hands in four days, for $25. So that is a great warranty. I don't fish more than 5 days for these fish, do most of my fishing with Sage XPs in 6-8wt. I have landed a few kings on an 8wt, not a problem if you play the fish decently.

hikePat:

Are you planning to flyfish for kings on the Kenai River in late June... Very difficult proposition. Timing is in between runs which peak mid-june and mid-july. Not much luck for you fishing from shore, and with a boat you are going to have to fight for slots among the gear guides.. Plan on putting in a lot of hours out of a boat, with a SUPER heavy sinking line, like Teeny Magnum Chuck and Duck as you will need to dredge bottoms of 20 foot deep holes with 10 knots of current.

Better suggestion if you want a king on the fly is the West side of Cook Inlet. Fly in, but you can do day trips from Kenai or go an camp a while. Some days I hook up multiple kings, and very few fishermen over there, and very shore accessible. PM me if you want details.
  14. 8wtflyrod take me fishing

Bellingham
    Wow. Great input. Thank you to everyone.

Hope to see you on the rivers.

Bob
  15. Les Johnson Les Johnson

.Redmond, WA
    Ratings: +6 / 0
    I've used both the TFO TiCr-X and Jim Teeny 10-weights as my light Baja rods and heavy Alaska rods. They cast extremely well , bend the necks on big fish -- and I've never had a problem with the cork handles. In addition, I've have not broken either rod and have taken some large, saltwater chinooks in the Queen Charlottes and no end of schoolie dorado and reef spedies in Mexico. There are, of course other excellent choices but in my experience you can't go wrong with either of these.
    Good Fishing,
    Les Johnson
  16. Steelie Mike Active Member

Camas, WA
    Ratings: +24 / 0
    8wt, I own both Echo and TFO rods and fish them at different times. I like both brands very much but have found that although TFO rods cast great and can handle stress, the cosmetics that make up the sticks are not as good as an ECHO. I also found that the quality control on the TFO rods was questionable. One example is I had a TFO spey rod break on the first day on the water. The break was knowhere near a ferrule and I was using a hairwing that could not have nicked the stick. TFO ended up replacing it free of charge (great customer service).

[IMG]
    The first rod is a TFO 8wt Prof that has gaps in the cork approx. 2yrs old. The second is a clean Echo 6126 that is only a couple months old. The third stick is a TFO 6wt Prof that does have gaps in the cork, however they are filled and it is less than a year old. Both models are in the same price range.

[IMG]
    Different view

Again I do fish both rods and just wanted to point out my experience with them. If you decided to go with a TFO make sure you take a close look at it. There are also a few other companies in that price point that are worth checking out.
  17. Mulligan Stephen Mull

Seattle
    Ratings: +3 / 0
    I have a TFO Prof. single hander and a TFO Prof. Spey (both 8 wt). I love how both of them cast (although I am new to spey casting), but I have had the same cork issues with my single hander. In addition, I've been disappointed with the metal reel seat. My reel has put a fairly deep groove in the seat and makes it difficult to remove the real sometimes. For the price and casting quality, I'm fine with these gripes...I just wish I had checked out Echo for comparison before purchasing.
  18. Patagonguy Active Member

Argentina
    Ratings: +88 / 0
    I purchased a Cabelas Stowaway 7pieces 10wt on 2004 for Caribe (tarpon, permit). Excellent, comfortable for travel and nice cosmetics.

Regards,
  19. Stonefish Triploid, Humpy & Seaplane Hater

Pipers Creek
    Ratings: +1,262 / 1
    I have several TFO rods and haven't had any problems with them other then one angler error on my part. Good value and good customer service when needed.
    Another rod you might consider is the Redington CPS.
    I have a 6wt in this rod and like it also.
    Brian
  20. Denny Active Member

Seattle, WA, USA.
    Ratings: +45 / 0
    At the under $200 range, it's tough to beat the Echo or the TFO Series 1 (2 piece at $100), Professional ($150), or the Teeny ($200) models.

Another rod to consider is the Redington RS3. It's a super nice rod, and I believe is under the $200 range. Great looking, nice quality, and performs nicely.

I would suggest the CPS, but at $300 retail it's $100-$150 more than you want to spend. It's a bonafide bargain, however; it's very similar to a Sage XP in performance . . .