11/4 Whatcom Creek observation

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by jonbackman, Nov 8, 2011.

1. jonbackman Member

Mt. Vernon
    Ratings: +19 / 0
    I work in Bham, so I took a little break at the creek this afternoon to see how things looked. In 5 minutes at the "fishin hole" I saw around 8 chums landed. I walked over to the bridge downstream at Holly St. In about 15 minutes I watched many schools swim under the bridge, noses upstream. Probably at least 100 fish. I then walked back toward my starting point and there was a line of fishermen waiting to have their quarry netted at the base of the stairway. The one thing I did not seem to see was a hook embedded in a salmon's mouth. Oh well, it is to be expected. I doubt I'll be bringing a rod down here, but it's always a fun place to stop by and watch the action when the weather's decent.
  2. Chris Johnson Member: Native Fish Society

Bellingham Wa.
    Ratings: +276 / 1
    Yes, its quite a show, but any fish foul hooked is suposed to be placed in the tube to the hatchery holding pond. I was down there the last week and saw no fish at the mouth but there were several in the pools above the dead line, so chums are asending the creek. The creek runs behind my office, last week I snuck back there and spotted a number of fish in the run. the sun was at a bad angle to id them, they looked like silvers. Encouraging that at least one little creek is coming back, concidering all its been thru.
  3. jonbackman Member

Mt. Vernon
    Ratings: +19 / 0
    I guess I should've mentioned that many of the fish I saw were netted by the hatchery guy and put in "the tube".