11 foot single hand rod

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by hikepat, Apr 24, 2003.

1. I saw in my most recent issue from Cabela's that they now have a 11'ft 6 weight single hand rod with their name on it. They say its for use in float tubes. Any one out there have any experince with a single hand rod of this size. I am thinking it might be a good rod for the beach and SRC and Silvers and for when fishing with an indicator and 12' to 20' of line. It seems to me that a rod this long could move alot of line with little effort but since I have yet to use a rod over 9'I have no experince to go from. Any input on this subject:dunno Are there other companies out there making single hand rods of this size I should be looking at instead and what price range would they be in if so?:dunno

2. Well, only rods I've used over 10' were speys. But, I used to use a 10' 7wt. That was one of my favorite rods. Was stolen and have cried ever since. But, nothing wrong with them. Great for roll casting.

3. I have an 11'9" Scott 6wt. It's a two-hander, but mostly in name only. I use it on the Snoqualmie and Grande Ronde. It's not because I need a speycast, it's the superb line control (aka mending) on the water with a dryline that makes a long rod ideal for greased lining a wet or working a waker for summer steelies.

I think a rod that length made for float tubes is an idea from a marketing guy who's never fished from a float tube. Imagine landing a fish with a rod that size from a float tube.

Leland

4. Sage has an 11' 6 weught in XP, Several Rod makers have 10 footers in 6 weight including St. Croix, Redington,etc. Some catalogs like Cabelas only carry rod sizes they think they can move (higher demand)

5. Rod dynamics are rod dynamics. It takes x amount of force to move a given weight a given distance. Longer rods give more leverage but force applied is the factor. For example, When I first experienced the torment of a fly rod I had a custom rod built that is 6'9" and a 6 wt. It was a "fast" rod, but single parabolic in it's action. I tried and tried and could not push a line past 40'. A fishing partner listened, picked up the rod and punched a 90 foot cast. It is the timing that makes a line go! Granted a longer rod helps to push line. Effort is relative. It takes a certain amount of power to LOAD a rod and length is not always the factor. It is all a learning curve. To be accurate at 45' is not too difficult. To punch out to 60' takes twice the effort. To go out to 75' takes double of 60' and on and on. It is the timing! There are no short cuts, per say, except one that you can use but can be expensive. Find a 6 wt. 9' rod you are comfortable with and can push 60' feet of line with ease. Put a 7 wt. line on it and learn how to load it, and shoot. You should be able to punch 75' to 80' casts with it. The down side is you can BLOW up the rod and be left holding a real short stick. I personaly believe that if you cann't get within 60' you should regroup and or start lifting weights. Your upper back will need it! For what ever it is worth!
    wet line:beer2

6. I once got a 9.5 7wt, dreaming of how much further I could cast, shoot, that rod wore me out compared to my 9' 7wt. My arm aches even THINKING of trying to cast a 11' rod for more that an hour. I have heard on other boards that a lot of east coast surf guys have even goen to 8.5' rods...BTW, I sold that long rod on ebay, glad it is gone.

7. I just picked up that rod at a used tackle shop as earlier mentioned the small weight two handers are in name only not wanting to shell out a lot of cash for a small spey I matched this rod up with a sa78l and filled it with a long belly dt to fish spey cast style dries for summer fish swapped a old johnson 4 horse for the lot look for a post down the road and I'll tell ya all how it works right now I'm buried in work and moving the family into our new home all should be back to normal for the june arrival of the dc's if the big guy smiles upon me

8. I usually fish either a 10' 7#, or 9' 6#. I find no difference in physical exertion between the two. Maybe if I was trying to cast my arm off with the 10 footer... what I find, is the 10's advantage with mending and line control on bigger water, which is why I fish it, not for extra distance. I line my 10 footer regular with a 7wt, but you could always line down a med action rod, with a 6 line, if you are worried about fatigue. If you are looking for an extra 20 ft of line out, casting lessons, or maybe a new line, would be more effective IMHO. I don't think I'd find much advantage to a 8'6, mending on moving water-- but maybe for fatigue relief when surf fishing or tubing a lake.