11 wt/12wt Orvis Weight Forward Spey line for $14

Discussion in 'Spey Clave' started by allenro, Jan 23, 2007.

1. allenro

allenro Active Member

Home Page:
  2. fredaevans

fredaevans Active Member

Looks like this was Ovis' 'answer' to the SA XLT or RIO Grand Spey.

3. bigtj

bigtj Member

Media:
    These lines are perfect for chopping down into a skagit line. Whack of about 30-32 feet in front of the hinge, make a loop, and add a 15-foot sink tip. Now you have a really nice sinking-tip setup for a 7 or 8 wt. Not bad for $14. If you want to get fancy you can make a "cheater" of of 5' of the running line, and make a winductter-style line out of the front, it's a little complicated to discuss here but do-able. Only drawback - the amount of running line behind the head is small. You'll have to add more running line. But what do you want for $15? Just make sure you know where the hinge point is, the color change on the line isn't it, it's where the end of the back taper gets the thickest.

The lines will also work "as is" if you just want a simple long-belly spey line.

4. DRBfish

DRBfish New Member

Thanks for the heads up.

I think these are close to old style grand speys. They are a pretty good line. I have the 9wt and it is 1050 grain with a head of 105'. I just ordered the 12 wt. No matter how you cut it, that is a lot of grains for $14.

5. Salmo_g

Salmo_g Active Member

Media:
    What Bigtj said. I've bought a couple of the Orvis closeouts, and they're great bargains for chopping and line splicing, or just chop, loop, and add the tip of your choice. Just got a WF12F the other day to experiment with for my Forecast 6/7. It must be fun since I keep doing it.

Sg

6. MikeT

MikeT Member

Media:
    Does anyone know if the 11-wt. or 12-wt. could be chopped and made into a Skagit line for a 9140-4?

Mike

7. DRBfish

DRBfish New Member

Ill let you know in about a week

8. Salmo_g

Salmo_g Active Member

Media:
    Mike,

Oh yeah. I used a 12 wt and chopped enough off to make a 9 wt short head, which probably falls in the "Skagit" head territory. I don't remember how many feet long it is. It's on the Tioga, and I haven't used it but twice last winter. I'm mainly fishing 7s and 8s. For the money, you get enough use out of it doing something to easily justify buying the line.

I've got a bunch of Orvis Spey lines, only because they've been on sale the past couple years, and they are good lines. Especially for chopping.

Sincerely,

Salmo g.

9. MikeT

MikeT Member

Media:
    Salmo g.,
    Thanks for the advice. I've ordered the 12-wt.
    Any suggestions on next steps will be appreciated.
    I've got braided mono loops and T-14.
    thanks....Mike

10. SSPey

SSPey Member

depends on yr preferred load. I've cut up heavy Orvis spey lines and they've run 16-18 gr/ft. I tend to fish skagit lines heavy on 7/8 rods, build them using 20 gr/ft line to get into a range like the RIO 550. The Orvis are 2-4 gr/ft lighter than what I like, seems like a minor difference, but over 30' that's 60-120 gr less. The running line on these Orvis speys is pretty thick and not so slick.

11. bigtj

bigtj Member

Media:
    I would go with the 12, but like SSpey said your mileage may vary. I've made 30' skagit lines with the 10, 11, and 12 and I definitely preferred the 12 for the 9140. Another thing to do is cut it long and slowly work your way back, say 35' from the hinge and cut a foot or two at a time using temporary loops (peel off core and make loop with two nail knots of 12-lb maxima UG to hold the core agains the line). I think at 30 feet I ended up at around 575 grains but that's from memory I can't be sure. Should cast decent with a 100-150 grain tip or even heavier.

The running line is the achilles heel like SSpey said, you'll want to splice or loop into something behind the existing line, or replace it all together. However, not a big deal and worth it.

Plan on having plenty of line left to mess around with after you cut out the skagit.

Good luck and let us know how it goes.

12. bigtj

bigtj Member

Media:
    whoops double post.

13. Salmo_g

Salmo_g Active Member

Media:
    Hmmm, I thought the running line is thin and slick enough, altho I don't shoot more than about 20' max. Still a good value for experimentation I think.

Sg

14. Nooksack Mac

Nooksack Mac Active Member

I have one of these Type III in WF10F. I agree that it's a near relative of the GrandSpey and XLT. The belly/forward taper is close to 100 feet long, which is so much weight that I couldn't cast the full belly, even with my CND 15 1/2' Salmo Salar! A long belly line for experts only.

But it's prime material for chopping and splicing. It's important to first have an idea of what weight, in grains, of floating belly you need for your rod (plus a notion of what weight of sink tips you'll be using). Weighing such a long floating belly from the back end is tricky, but doable. You can use a reloading scale, as I do, or a scale for medecines, etc. Lay out the belly (probably including the rear taper to the running line), coil some of it, from the rear end, and weigh that section. (I hang the coil from the powder pan of my reloading scale, which is positioned at the edge of a table. My reloading scale, like many others, weighs only to 500 grains; but you can weigh lesser amounts, and add the totals.) When you have the desired weight of floating belly, that's where to cut. Naturally, save the remaining tip for future use.

15. Charles Sullivan

Charles Sullivan dreaming through the come down

Media:
    Home Page:
    I got rid of my scale for "medicines" quite a while ago :). Maybe I need a new one.
    Schill and Dice K - all the way,
    cds

16. DRBfish

DRBfish New Member

I got my 12wt last night. It has about 125' head w/about 20' of running line. It is pretty slick and seems to be a good line. The thickest belly section is only 0.092" or 18 grains/ft. I have not cut it so i don't know for sure but that is pretty close. So it will make a skagit line of about 500 grains in 28' with no tapper. It is an OK fit on my 10-12wt Diawa, I can cast the whole line but it isn't great. So I am going to make a 500 grain skagit head out of it Ill probably go about 32' with some tapper. Ill let you know how it works.

17. bigtj

bigtj Member

Media:
    The line at 28 feet is too light for a 10-12 Diawa - it's probably only about 450 grains. The Rio web page recommends a 700 gr. skagit for that rod, or a 9/10/11 or 10/11/12 wincutter. If you have a lighter rod, like a 7 wt, try it with that line it will be a lot better. I made a 32' skagit line out of that 12-wt, it casts good on my 9140-4 (which is about an 8-wt in reality) so I think it will be too lgiht for your diawa

Now to get something for your 10-wt Diawa, you will probably need something along the lines of a widcutter. The belly part of the head would be about 40' long at about 550-600 grains. If you can make something like this out of the middle section of that 12'wt, add a running line and a 12-15' sinking tip around 150 grains, and add 100' of running line behind that head, I think you'd have something that would load that rod up properly and would work well for skagit casts like the Snap-T or Circle Spey and also the single spey; I think your rod is goingto need about 700-750 grains total (with tips) to get it right.

The point is, I would start longer - like 40 or 45 feet. Just put a temporarly loop on it (strip the core, fold back and put a nail knot or two w/ 10 lb maxima to hold it together. Try the line at the full length, if it's too much weight, you can check for the length by pulling the head into the rod tip top to test what length you like the best. Then, after you determine what length works the best, cut the belly back until it's the length you want with say a foot or two back into the rod tip.

18. DRBfish

DRBfish New Member

I was trying the 12wt line on the 12 wt rod before I cut it. I was holding the line at the end of the head 120' head (150' line) which is about 1500 grains on the Diawa. I just had so see if it was a perfect match on the big rod before I cut it up. I ended up cutting 33' out of the belly (545 grains) to use on my 7 wt.

19. danimal

danimal Inglorious Twohander

Greetings SPORTS: Dont know how I ended up over here on this site :confused: . But I must say it is pertty :cool: .. Anyway , I have a couple of them lines..Have a 12wt longbelly spey that I havent weighed yet,,and two orvis 12wt midbelly speys that I bought last yr on the bay.. those are the ones that I cut down to 32 ft. and 585 grns that I run on a pair of 8wt Scotts. The lenght of the rear taper seems to downgrade true skagit performance a bit :ray1: however very minimally..Unless you are throwing kitten sized flies into a headwind it is almost impossible to tell the difference in deflection. I actually seem to get a smoother delivery unless the aforementioned conditions arise... For beer money prices , everyone can afford to experiment ptyd . By the way,, the flies in the photo gallery are AWESOME !!!!!!!!!