11" Yak Hollow/Hi Tie

Discussion in 'Fly Tying' started by davidstrout, Feb 23, 2007.

1. davidstrout been lurking for a while.....

White Plains, NY
    Ratings: +0 / 0
    Tied with Blend of YAk and Mega Mushy with saddles over tie ins..was thinkin herring

there is a 50lb mono loop off back to attach a stinger hook if desired and shank is wrapped in lead for casting

Easier to achieve a wider/deeper profile using this stuff than bucktail

Hook is a 10/0 GAmi..

hope you like

david
  2. cabezon Sculpin Enterprises

Olympia, WA
    Ratings: +217 / 0
    Very nice, David, like all your flies. This pattern has more depth than the flies in your earlier post. Another option would be to tie a similar pattern with a stick-on eye, rather than the jungle cock in your patter. I would be interested in reading your thoughts on why you used jungle cock. Also, is the fly coated to maintain its depth? If yes, what do you prefer to use?

What is your "target" with a fly that large? Offshore or onshore? When I lived in North Carolina, that size fly would have been especially useful when the stripers head up the rivers in mid-March and chase out (eat out??) the spawning shad. As part of a research project there, I have collected 28-30" stripers with 14-18" shad in their stomachs. On the other hand, I can imagine that a school of schoolie bluefins in the salt would find that fly enticing too or maybe a large red drum.

Steve
  3. davidstrout been lurking for a while.....

White Plains, NY
    Ratings: +0 / 0
    Hey Steve! This fly was actaully a response in some ways to your previous post re: deapth/profile...glad u noticed..With regards to the jc eye, I plead an affinity for natural materials...this fly could well have been tied with slinky fibre blend and looked the same but it feels better to me to use the natural yak, uncut , tied in using natural taper etc.....

With regards to species, definitely stripers in mind feeding on mature herring but for tuna as well

Thanks fo rthe kind words

David
  4. cabezon Sculpin Enterprises

Olympia, WA
    Ratings: +217 / 0
    Hi David,

Thanks for the insight. Of course, you know that we will be expecting detailed reports of the success of these flies this summer....

Steve