Collecting driftwood...

So, I've been wanting to collect some driftwood for some small projects, nothing huge.

In doing some online research I have found out that it's against the law to collect driftwood from certain beaches, so...anyone know of any beaches where it is okay to collect some driftwood?

PM will be fine as my guess would be that you wouldn't want it broadcasted online. Or is there some comprehensive list that says where you can or can't gather driftwood?

Any help is appreciated. Been up since 1 AM, can't sleep worth %#*^t So I've got projects on the mind.

Jeff Dodd

I have heard that removing driftwood is illegal, but really, how much do you need for this project? I wouldn't think twice about bringing home a few cool pieces. There is more where that came from.

Stonefish

Triploid, Humpy & Seaplane Hater
You need to buy the state's new driftwood punchcard.
The limit is three pieces per day with a 5-14" length and 4" diameter slot limit and only fir, alder and cedar can be kept.
Refer to page 86 of the driftwood collection regulation booklet for wood species identification.
;)

Collect away....
SF

I know, I was amazed that there would be a law against that. Last time I was at the Hoh river mouth and saw all that drift wood there all kids of projects spring up in my mind! Anyhow, I guess I get it, if they don't make a law there will be those who will "rape" the resource. So with that said, I like Stonefish's write up, we should implement that. lol In my research (google research ;)) I read that there are people who straight up bust out the chain saw and tow tree trunks back to wherever (from other peoples property). Now, I can see that being an issues as I can see how those large trunks can serve as wave breakers thus slowing down beach erosion. I have taken wood from the beach before I started looking into it because I want to be more selective and have even thought about picking up some larger pieces for front yard deco.

Good stuff. Taking rain water is illegal too... ferns to eh? WTF?

Stonefish

Triploid, Humpy & Seaplane Hater
It certainly would be a shame if someone ruined a whole Puget Sound beach by collecting a few small pieces of driftwood.....
From what I've seen, there is a severe shortage.
SF

Porter

against some law, eh? you'd think these legislative assholes would have something more productive to spend their time on, but apparently not.
Hmmm. In addition to the above they are always crafting up some filtered, antiseptic, jargon-filled political speak to justify getting your hard earned money in tolls, fees, licenses, taxes, etc.

My favorite is the I-405 HOV lane. It is Free!!!!! oh wait, I need a $20.00 sticker on my window for each car? So I missed the boat on that one......$20 = Free ?

Last edited:

Pat Lat

Mad Flyentist
I have a few that caught my eye. About 4 small pieces that have been rolling around in the trunk of my car. Someday I'll sit around a fire and whittle them into something cool.

I have a few that caught my eye. About 4 small pieces that have been rolling around in the trunk of my car. Someday I'll sit around a fire and whittle them into something cool.
My place is littered with small hunks of driftwood and small stones & shells that've been picked up on beaches, rivers, mountain trials. All help me remember days/trips/ hikes worth remembering. To offset this detestable plunder, I often, on solitary mountain hikes, stick shiny quarters or folded (lengthwise) dollar bills in tree trunks/branches and/or cliff sides along the trail. I try to do this at eye-level, or lower, hoping that others - adults and kids - on later hikes along the same trail will get a quick, momentary laugh along the way. Probably sounds corny to many, but I get a kick out of it.............

Pat Lat

Mad Flyentist
I've also begun collecting agates off the beach, I have four pretty nice ones in my waders that I collected over the summer/fall. I'll have to remember to take those out before I lose them.