Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner

South Platte

Trip Report 
1K views 8 replies 8 participants last post by  Bill Reed 
#1 ·
Spring break is this week and some friends and I decided to head to the sprawling metropolis of Denver with the intent of fishing the South Platte. Although original plans called for fishing the "Dream Stream" portion, we ended up not doing that. Most of the fishing where we were consisted of sight fishing to extremely picky fish (might have something to do with the weekend hordes that were present). It seemed like if they didn't take a swing at it on the first pass, they weren't going to move an inch for it ever. This caused some of the most creative nymphing combinations I have ever rigged up but once that was figured out, there were some big fish in some skinny water to be caught.
Vertebrate Salmon-like fish Water Fisherman Fish

Water Vertebrate Fisherman Salmon-like fish Fish

Salmon-like fish Fisherman Organism Fish Fishing

Organism Fish Reptile Salmon-like fish Ray-finned fish

Water Plant Plant community Sky Fluvial landforms of streams

Water Plant Water resources Plant community Fluvial landforms of streams

Sorry there aren't more scenic pictures. I know this river is no secret but seeing as the fish were in the same spot on consecutive days, its probably best not to reveal too much. However this was certainly a beautiful area. Despite tough fishing, it was certainly a great time.

Attachments

See less See more
#4 ·
Very nice ! I jus spent Christmas with my ex wife and ex bro inlaw in Parker CO , we drove out to look at the Platte as well as just some randow streams in the area ! I plan on a summer or fall trip back out for a weeks worth of fishing !
I had never been further west the Kansas for ducks till then and i can truly say id move to CO in a heart beat and have been deprived as a child growing up in OH ..lol

#6 ·
We were within 5 miles of Deckers. I have never seen so many large trout. We should have tried more locations but I was pretty satisfied trying to stick some of these fish. They had a thing for chasing streamers although aside from nymphing wooley buggers, I couldn't get any to fully commit.

The other reason we avoided the dream stream was the winds that picked up towards the end of our stay. They were manageable in the canyon with trees around but I was worried the wind would be whipping out in the open where the D.S. is.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.