Morning temps

A.A.

Question for you more experienced warm water guys. Decided to venture from my usual steelhead pursuits and hit a small reservoir for bass/crappie/bluegill in the morning. Overnight temps will be 48. Will be 53 by the time I hit the water at 8. Partly sunny. Was hoping it would be a little warmer. Is this too cold for good bass action? I don't have the option of going later in the day.
Thanks!

Water temperature is more important than air temperature in determining fish behavior and location. If you don't find them shallow, start looking deeper. Observe insect and other activity, etc etc, you know, go fishing...

A.A.

Water temperature is more important than air temperature in determining fish behavior and location. If you don't find them shallow, start looking deeper. Observe insect and other activity, etc etc, you know, go fishing...
Yeah, I packed my thermometer. It's been cold like this for a few days. What's a good general rule for bass and water temp?

You can look up on the web at what temps largemouth and smallmouth start migrating for the spawn. There's a trigger point for each species. Can't remember what they are. But I think that ship has sailed this year.

Jim Ficklin

Genuine Montana Fossil
But I think that ship has sailed this year.
It surely has. Around here, visits to shallower water are an early morning/late evening/black of night affair. Fish tend to spend the the high sun hours in deep water (around 20' in the river) or in deep cover. There's a deep lake fed from the Snake that I fish late in the evening into night; in the summer, these Largemouth are almost black from staying so deep for extended periods of time.