11ft Drift Boat?

Discussion in 'Watercraft' started by Warren Messer, Jul 11, 2007.

1. Warren Messer Member

Maple Valley, Wash
    Ratings: +0 / 0
    The 10ft Hudson Springs Pram I designed fits in the back of the owners Dodge Dakota. I suggested that he build a "box" out of 2x6's to fit between the wheel wells. The boat now rides on the carpet he added to the tops of the 2x6's, and the bottom now sets above the trucks wheel wells. The 2x6 frame sticks out the back of the bed a bit, and he beveled the back ends of the long boards to help get the boat on the truck. He justs sets the bow on the frame and goes to the stern, lifts the hull and shoves it forward. The only problem he has is that the beam of the boat with the rails added, drag on the tube framed "ladder carrier" he has mounted to the top of the truck's bed. It fits, but rubs off the varnish at the widest spot.

Its a very stable hull, but I can't remember as I sit here what the bottom width is. Will check the plans and post the answer here. The beams and bottom widths of the HSP and the SolDuk drifter should be close. I will also carry a measureing tape around to check out some small pickups.
  2. Jim Byler Pram Guy

Dalton Gardens, ID
    I am the guy with the boat at the Sandpoint Boat show. Thanks for the tip about this website, Jim, it's great. I gave a brief description of the boat in an earlier thread (see above). It is my own design, but based on the bottom shape of a boat by Thomas Firth Jones entitled "Plywood Boats and a Few Others". The bottom width is about 40", and I have hauled it in my old Nisson PPU.
  3. Warren Messer Member

Maple Valley, Wash
    I checked the max bottom width of the HSP Pram and it is 45" to the SolDuk's 42". I think I may go back and do some more tweeking of the hulls bottom panel and bring it out to 44". Which then means that all the bottom edges of the side panels need to be redrawn. Design much, cut once. The new 44" bottom should be more than enough for an 11' 2" hull. I took the CAD drawing of the HSP's bottom and over laid it on the SolDuk's, and I couldn't believe how much bottom area the HSP had for a 10ft pram. Like a mini aircraft carrier.