12 best all time fly rods....interesting light read

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by Porter, Feb 20, 2009.

1. Porter Active Member

Kenmore, WA, USA.
    Ratings: +485 / 0
  2. Jergens AKA Joe Willauer

Twin Bridges, MT
    Ratings: +19 / 0
    389ll, fo sho!
  3. Hal Eckert Member

West GLs
    Ratings: +0 / 0
    Got three of these from the early 80s a 9,8, and 6 wgt. All were under $ 200. 8 wgt is probably my favorite SH rod of all time. Nine footer, many steelhead and salmon on that rod. They are still used and in fine shape.

:thumb:

Fenwick HMG Graphite fly rods
    Those new to fly fishing are often surprised to hear that Fenwick was a leader before they faded into what amounts to cheap rod obscurity. Their classic glass rods made the “Dozen Best” list, and these HMG graphites were among the first affordable graphite fly rods. Frankly, I still find their willowy actions enchanting, but after their initial burst of popularity, they faded from the market (like the company). Too bad.
  4. Panhandle Active Member

Selkirk Mountains, Idaho Panhandle
    Ratings: +23 / 0
    The GLX is not in there; therefore I cannot take this census seriously. :ray1:
  5. Porter Active Member

Kenmore, WA, USA.
    nor is the xp....but you can only take your census serious, after all that is the only one that counts.
  6. JE Active Member

Great NW
    Ratings: +50 / 0
    Amen brother. Only wish I had built a couple more when they had the blems on sale for dirt cheap back in the day.
    -JE
  7. 509 New Member

WENATCHEE, WA
    12 best Rods!!! Irrational spending!!!

I have been fly fishing 40 years. Including the four rods I built myself I have owned a total of seven rods!!

Are these people fishing or are they collecting rods as a hobby??
  8. Jerry Daschofsky Moderator

Graham, WA, USA.
    Ratings: +651 / 5
    I guess I was truly meant to be a UPS guy after reading this one. And I have this rod to boot.

"The Fenwick 7.5′ 5wt Feralite Fiberglass Fly Rod
    In truth, the 8.5′ 6/7wt Fenwick glass rods were more popular, but everyone who’s been in fly fishing since the 70s has probably owned one of these chocolate brown beauties - wonderful fiberglass fly rods that brought a smooth-actioned, lightweight (for the time), glass-ferruled, great-fishing fly rod within reach of almost everyone. That the classic glass Fenwicks are experiencing something of a renaissance - along with an uptick in value - is hardly a surprise. Though heavy by the standards of today’s weight geeks, they’re still smooth fishing rods. What can brown do for you?"

I'm a fenwick man, even have the patches to boot. LOL.

I can also say, the RPL 7100 isn't on there either. Damned, one of the best summerrun rods I've ever used. Love this rod to deal. Or my old 9140-3. Miss that rod to death, didn't see her on the list either (and know quite a few hardcore steelheaders that would take both of those rods in a heartbeat).
  9. HauntedByWaters Active Member

Bellingham
    Ratings: +103 / 0
    I like the author's attitude more than anything. I am of the impression that the entire fly fishing industry as a whole is basically an arms race these days. I can understand why, people want to live the dream, but at the same time I feel this is simply a wonderful past time and that fact gets dismissed too quickly....as in....lets not get carried away with this. Fishing industry is an oxymoron to me.

I think a SAGE SP should be on there....
  10. Chris Frazier Fishin is life

Black Diamond/Pullman, WA
    gotta agree with Panhandle, needs a GLX
  11. Jeff Hale B.I.G.F.F.

Bainbridge Island, WA
    Ratings: +27 / 0
    Only one Sage rod??? Gimme a break, the Sage SP is MONEY $$$$$$$$...!!!
  12. Daryle Holmstrom retiredfishak

Mount Vernon, WA
    Ratings: +105 / 0

Still have mine:thumb:
  13. Jerry Daschofsky Moderator

Graham, WA, USA.
    Daryle, I still have all 40 of my original fenwick fly rods (well, about 10 of them I've bought in the last few years). But that old 7 1/2 5wt is a sweet rod. Love it to death.
  14. Jerry Daschofsky Moderator

Graham, WA, USA.
    Ooops, I meant 40 overall, about 15 of them flyrods. My bad. LOL.
  15. SpeySpaz still an authority on nothing

Roy, WA
    Ratings: +13 / 0
    I have to vehemently disagree with the IMX 9' for four- what a dog! Mine fell in a lake and I only grieved for the reel. BTW, my name's on the blank so if you pull it out of Pattison....:clown:
    keep it. I want the reel though. A fullback radius 1.5.
    the IMX 8'6" for five, on the other hand, and really all the other IMX's I've built/owned/cast, really sweet. but the 8'6" for five especially.
  16. shawn k Member

buckets worldwide
    Ratings: +19 / 0
    The scott 8 ft 8 inch rod is right on the money. That is the best bonefish/ striper rod I have ever cast. A true dart thrower.
  17. wonder why browning's Silaflex didn't make it. I love my Fenwicks use to have an HMG graphite, my D-glass and Steffen rods. Someday I'll order up a McFarland presentation rod. Year wait on them. Nicest old Loomis rod I ever had was 5wt IM6 think it was a 10 foot, or 9.5.
  18. Old Man Just an Old Man

Dillon, Mt
    Ratings: +1,626 / 0
    All of this is one mans opinion. He needs to see what is out there now and then compare them all up.

Jim
  19. Hal Eckert Member

West GLs
    Agree, I have one of those also from the seventies, a 7 foot, 6 wgt, lots of trout and bass experienced it, its still in great shape.

:thumb:
  20. Porter Active Member

Kenmore, WA, USA.
    It still would be just his opinion if he did that.