12 months of steelheading

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by ZigZag, Mar 2, 2009.

1. SpeySpaz

SpeySpaz still an authority on nothing

Media:
    The first steelhead I caught on my crappy starter rod was just as good as the last one I caught on my custom Meiser.

But, the Coach gave you some damn good advice. A broken rod is a very good reason to go big and commit to the art. Besides, fishing a custom rod gives you something pretty to look at while you're grinding through fishless days:D
    I know this is true:D

5 for 9? shit, celebrate!

2. Jerry Daschofsky

Jerry Daschofsky Moderator Staff Member

Media:
    Home Page:
    First off, consider yourself lucky.

Next (and this is probably the Jack talking) you guys really need to take a fucking break. How many of you guys have ever really fished gear, and I mean FISHED it? You do realize that just as many, if not MORE guys go fishless fishing gear as you hear of guys in the fly world. They don't have a silver bullet there either. Why are more fish caught in the gear world? More guys do it. More rods in the water = more fish caught. My God, makes me wonder who here really has put their years in fishing.

And, mind you, I have over 32 years fishing for steelhead, and almost 29 years fishing with a fly for steelhead and salmon. You have good years and bad years. But you have nothing to bitch about. I know guys who have fished years without a zing on their line.

3. Coach Duff

Coach Duff Banned or Parked

Media:
    I love me some Jerry. Speaks the truth every damn day! duff

4. Jerry Daschofsky

Media:
    Home Page:
    Thanks Coach. I guess I should've posted this over on the "gear pics on fly sites" thread. LOL. Man, do I need to head to bed. ;)

5. ZigZag

ZigZag Member

Media:
    portland oregon, Chico California, Tahoe, Reno NV.
    Thanks Coach. I think the Meiz and Burkheimer are a little out of my reach $$$$. I had plans to upgrade my rod this May at the Sandy river spey clave. Now I cant wait... but thanks to some vary cool peps on this site I may use a loner rod to get me thru..:thumb::thumb:

Tythetier. I have wanted to fish the Washougal for awhile. Anytime you want to throw a fly hit me up. like I said I fish solo missions 8 days a month.

6. SpeySpaz

Media:
    I fished gear a lot, Jerry. Not 32 years but enough.
    I have a half-dozen salmon and steelhead stick with levelwinds, a few spinning rods that have caught a lot of fish, and I've gone through three noodles. They're rusting in my garage as we speak...
    I agree it isn't easy catching fish whatever method you choose, and in fact I think spooning in particular is harder to do right than swinging a fly is. Course with the casting part, the reverse applies :D but still, any successful fisherman deserves credit for his skills. I don't think that's where this thread was going though...where is this thread going?

7. Jerry Daschofsky

Media:
    Home Page:
    LOL Speyspaz. i'm not sure where it's going either.

And, when you feel the need to liquidate any of those, let me know. ;)

8. SpeySpaz

Media:
    Hey man, come over Sat, you know where I live!
    My Dad's coming to live with me; he's flying in tomorrow, so I'll definitely be home Sat. with him. You still have my number?

9. Jerry Daschofsky

Media:
    Home Page:
    No, PM me the number.

I'll see what I can do. Have to see my chiropractor saturday and plan to take my wife out for lunch. But it may be doable. :)