125lb giant see bass in San Diego

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by golfman44, Jul 30, 2012.

1. golfman44

golfman44 Coho Queen

2. alpinetrout

alpinetrout Banned or Parked

I hope he released it safely since they're critically endangered.

3. Luke77

Luke77 I hope she likes whitefish

My BS flag is being raised.

Spencer Woods likes this.
  4. Old Man

Old Man Just an Old Man

Who's got the pop corn. If that fish is 125 lbs. I'll eat your hat.

Most planks on most docks are only 12" wide that fish is only about 36 " long. No way could a small fish like that weight in at that weight. Unless it was weighted down with lead weights.

5. David Loy

David Loy Senior Moment

"Back in the day", when I started diving (mid 60s) I would see pictures of divers in the San Diego area who spear fished huge Bass. Don't recall the weights but they dwarfed this guy. Some (hanging on the hook) were as tall as the diver, and fat. Probably pushing 300 lbs. The divers were known as the "dead end kids".

6. alpinetrout

alpinetrout Banned or Parked

7. golfman44

golfman44 Coho Queen

8. golfman44

golfman44 Coho Queen

9. golfman44

golfman44 Coho Queen

10. Luke77

Not to be "that guy", but I've looked at that picture again and again and I'm still calling BS. The guy's foot is probably average length...size 11 which if you look at the picture is about the same length as those planks are wide and that's NOT 24". Additionally, look at the swivel size...if that fish is 125 lbs, that swivel is the size of a finger. And one more for good measure, the piece of scrap paper in the upper part of the picture looks to be from a straw. Sorry man, but I think your brother or whoever is pulling a fast one on ya.

11. golfman44

golfman44 Coho Queen

Yea its just what he was told by the guys who caught it. Your view is similar to my initial thoughts.

As a side note, being new to this forum, people really get caught up on weight and size on this forum. I understand, but I mean I just came here to post a txt I got from a friend involving a rare fish, figured avid anglers would be interested in it. I tried to avoid the steelhead section for this reason but I guess everyone intermingles here. I'll be sure to have a ruler next to any fish I post in the future :)

I, nor did my friend, have anything to do with catching this fish. He just was enjoying his evening on the pier and saw these guys reel it in so was basing it on what they told him.

I do think its sad tho that these fish, while endangered, are still yanked off of public piers with thousands of people nearby :(

12. Luke77

Easy Tiger, wasn't saying YOU didn't measure up, just saying the pic is bullshit.

It has nothing to do with "getting caught up on size and weight", it has to do with the claim. If I posted a pic of a parr and said, "MY FIRST STEELHEAD!" everyone would react the same way.

Blake Harmon likes this.
  13. zen leecher aka bill w

zen leecher aka bill w born to work, forced to fish

I had a friend who said he caught a 32 inch largemouth off his backyard dock. I wanted to see pics as I knew a fish this size would have been a WA state record. He finally sent me a picture and the fish was in the 22 inch range.

Some people's eyes ( mine included) need to be recalibrated at times. I know I shot 150 lb deer 5 miles from the trail. By the time I got them out to the truck I was sure they were 225 lbs.

14. golfman44

golfman44 Coho Queen