12'6 7 TCX

Discussion in 'Spey Clave' started by Panhandle, Nov 24, 2011.

1. thewaker

thewaker Tight line takes ain't no fakes!!

Media:
    Silence is deadly! As Sinktip says.....loud reels save lives.

2. Panhandle

Panhandle Active Member

Media:
    Truer words haven't been spoken. So ill just bring them in march to the NU and you can send me 500.00 now. Is that cool? :)

3. thewaker

thewaker Tight line takes ain't no fakes!!

Media:
    I am clicker addicted as well.

The TCX is a killer rod man. I cast and fished one a bit this summer. Pure butter!

It was a clients and he had to pry it out of my hands when he left. Thinking hard about pulling the trigger on one myself. I have enough rods now that the wife won't notice if a new one shows up.

Do what you gotta do to get one.

4. Nooksack Mac

Nooksack Mac Active Member

There seems to be some tendency to choose skagit lines that are at the upper limit of a rod's grain window, the better to huck "dead chickens" or "road kill" or other favorite hyperbole for a big, heavy fly and heavy sink tip. To my tastes, that's like equipping your SUV for maximum offroad hauling duty: it does maximize the lifting capability, but at the expense of comfortable, economical everyday use. I prefer skagits and sinktips that don't feel structurally threatening on my rod, something in the middle of the grain window. That will handle a pretty heavy fly. If I need to cast something truely awesome, which is rare, I have rods up to 10/11.

5. sashjo

sashjo Member

Interesting thread, which I read because this rod is under my X-mas tree. ( Yes, I peeked.) I don't recall such a wide array of opinions on what is the best line for a rod. Can't wait to find out for myself.

6. Panhandle

Panhandle Active Member

Media:
    I just ordered a fall favorite 45 650 60 ft head for it. I think I'm gonna get a longer version and make it my longer line rod and use my lecie as my scandi rod.

7. Fred Krow

Fred Krow Member

This rod will comfortably cast all of the wide array of line weights,,,,,,it all depends upon your individual casting style.

We know where you will be on Monday Dec 26 ????

Regards,
    FK

8. dtrap

dtrap New Member

Greetings,
    I fish this rod with Rio Skagit flight 525 or 550 if you like a deeper load. I use Rio Skagit short in the same grain window as well if you're fishing a small stream or in tight places. I've used up to 12' of T-14 but usually 10' T-14 or less. Used it on the Thompson this year in the "small runs" with a MOW tip 5' T-14 and landed a 20# plus steelie with it. The butt section is more like a strong 8 weight.

9. Panhandle

Panhandle Active Member

Media:
    Just secured the 14'9 :cool:

10. SpeySpaz

SpeySpaz still an authority on nothing

Media:
    I don't own one...yet, but my experience with it says 520-550 short skagit or 450-480 compact scandi is my happy place with this rod.
    I also agree with previous, about it loving the bottom hand.

hey Pan, pretty hard to argue with making a LeCie your scandi go-to! great choice.
    regards all,
    Bob

11. hirstjn

hirstjn New Member

I have been using a SA 540 gr skagit compact and it casts like a dream i also hear that the airflow 540 skagit compact is awesome. I tried the 525 rio skagit flight and didn't like the turnover with it but the scientific angler stuff works perfectly.

12. pirate

pirate Member

I've got the 500gr skagit flight on this rod and it feels great! though i think a 525 skagit flight will feel a lot better on this rod...