12'7" 7/8wt Beulah and which lines....

Discussion in 'Spey Clave' started by James Mello, Feb 16, 2007.

1. James Mello

James Mello Inventor of the "closed eye conjecture"

So here's what I've got for info on the lines I have for this rod..

Skagit 550 awesome. Cast effortlessly with good loop control...

Rio Windcutter 8/9/10, a bit too light to load the rod. It still casts, but only just so...

Rio Windcutter 9/10/11, nice, but the rod felt a bit sluggish. Loop control was a bit harder and open loops were the norm....

Does anyone else have experiences lining this thing up, and what were they like?

2. flybill

flybill Purveyor of fine hackle, wine & cigars!

Stick with the Skagit 550 is my vote! This line seems to cast well on a ton of different rods and is great for tips and large flies! I leaning towards a SA Skagit 500 for my 12'6", but love the Rio Skagit on it as well.

Although you might be able to use a cheater or poly leader to get the lighter Windcutter to load better. I'm sure somebody who actually has the rod can give more input. Maybe give it to me to "test out"!! Hint.... Hint...

So did you build this rod? I've heard good things about the Buelah's! :)

3. Steelie Mike

Steelie Mike Active Member

You should check out the Airflo Skagit Shooting heads. I had the opportunity to cast one the other week. You can taper the amount of running line on them by using Miracle Braid or Monic. They are worth taking a look at.

4. Brian Thomas

Brian Thomas Active Member

I don`t own the rod , but have cast it . The Hardy Mach 1 8/9 (discontinued , but they`re still out there) absolutely ROCKS on this rod .

5. flybill

flybill Purveyor of fine hackle, wine & cigars!

James, I have this line for my 11'6" forcast and you're welcome to try it out before you buy anything. Otherwise you can test it at either of the spey casting sessions on any weekend. At least the newer Mach 1, which the formula changed on.

Let me know!

6. James, PM me if you want some info on this line. There are some on Ebay for a great price. I just picked one up last week for my Dan Craft switch rod.