Rear Leaning Post

It should not be all that difficult. You will want to install a floor in the back that is level or nearly so when the boat is floating. Install plumbing "floor flanges" on the floor you added where you want the uprights. The uprights will be iron pipe that fits the threads of the floor flange. Build your leaning platform to the shape you want and install some floor flanges on the underside to attach to the same posts. You will probably have to put the upper flanges on the pipe and then screw them to the underside of the platform. Hope this has not confused you. It might be a good idea to mount the lower floor flange to the floor using bolts with washers and nuts underneath other than the normal screws. The actual platform can be shaped out of wood to your satisfaction. And no, I have never built one but the instructions are sound. I did avoid how you would attach the floor. Likely you will need some wedge shaped pieces of wood floor joists epoxied to your floor, then glue and screw the floor to the joists. Apply some paint and use rustoleum on the metal

A.A.

Thanks for the suggestions...I've inquired with a few wood workers and I'm going to go with something like the pic below...we will see how it goes!
Do you have a wood drift boat? That looks nice. Only bad thing about the designs that go across the width of the boat is that it's hard to walk past, so the person in back is kind of stuck there.

Do you have a wood drift boat? That looks nice. Only bad thing about the designs that go across the width of the boat is that it's hard to walk past, so the person in back is kind of stuck there.
Yeah, I have a wood boat...and I thought about that getting around issue...not ideal, but I like the look much better and don't have to screw anything into the floor. I talked to the guy at Hyde and he said those floor mounted lean bars get ripped out all the time.

You might try one that this but it is attached to the floor. I would be willing to bet that the base doesn't pull loose from the floor. Jason builds them to last, so does Hyde. The issue with the floor may be with the width of the base. The wider it is the less resistant to pull out. BTW, Hyde uses that same system floor system that was posted on here on all of their their current boats that have rear stations. How do you think their customers would act if it ripped out of the floor. Just go to their web site and look at the models. If you want convenient movement from the rear to the front, it will not be one of those bows that traverse the entire rear.

[img}https://static1.squarespace.com/sta...0a594/1431455435350/IMG_9130.JPG?format=1000w[/img]

Last edited:
You might try one that this but it is attached to the floor. I would be willing to bet that the base doesn't pull loose from the floor. Jason builds them to last, so does Hyde. The issue with the floor may be with the width of the base. The wider it is the less resistant to pull out. BTW, Hyde uses that same system floor system that was posted on here on all of their their current boats that have rear stations. How do you think their customers would act if it ripped out of the floor. Just go to their web site and look at the models. If you want convenient movement from the rear to the front, it will not be one of those bows that traverse the entire rear.

[img}https://static1.squarespace.com/sta...0a594/1431455435350/IMG_9130.JPG?format=1000w[/img]
I should clarify...the guy at Hyde said they reinforce them in a way that they don't pull out, but it happens to people like me who don't know how to properly reinforce and attach to glass or wood.

A.A.

Exactly. A center mount wood brace would be ideal, would look nice too. I'm sure he could find someone to do something similar for a similar cost. If you don't want to attach it to the floor, maybe the back of the rowers seat?

Mysticfisher, If you use screws, it is likely it would pull out. But if you look at views of Hyde boats, the base plate is put on with bolts. Use shoulder washers and locknuts underneath your floor to attach the bases and they will not pull out.

mbowers

Mysticfisher, If you use screws, it is likely it would pull out. But if you look at views of Hyde boats, the base plate is put on with bolts. Use shoulder washers and locknuts underneath your floor to attach the bases and they will not pull out.
Exactly, basically everything on a boat should be through bolted and sealed with adhesive caulk.

I like the looks of the arch but not the functionality because it blocks movement. Maybe a hinge at one end and a pin at the other so it could be rotated up for moving around?

It looks like it should have a radar mounted on the arch too. That would keep the angler's crotch warm. Boat could be named "Hot Nutz" :)

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk