Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner

Toyota Tacoma Truck Bed Campers

NFR 
Tags
toyota truck
5K views 23 replies 5 participants last post by  DKL 
#1 ·
Anyone in Seattle have either a Four Wheel Camper, All Terrain Camper, or Outfitter camper they would be willing to let me come check out? I decided to sell my camper van and go the bed camper route because I didn't want to maintain and insure 2 cars anymore but I didn't do enough research first. Apparently, pop up campers for Tacomas are like a unicorn. These campers are pretty spendy and I'd love the chance to see one first before driving a long distance and paying a bunch for something I have never actually seen. I've limited my choice down to one of these as they are much lighter than the Palomino/Northstar type pop up campers and my Tacoma's payload is disappointingly low.

Thanks,
David

#2 · (Edited)
I have a roamin chariot camper that was built to fit on a ford ranger, but I have it on my tundra. I have had 2 tacomas, before the tundra and the the roamin chariot would have fit on those tacos as well. You can usually find them for sale used in Washington on a regular basis as they were originally made in spokane. Fore example this one (not affiliated with the sale in any way of this craigslist add):

https://spokane.craigslist.org/rvs/d/canopy-camper/6311847142.html

Used roamin chariots can be very nice, are light weight, and way way less than a new or used 4wheel camper or all wheel camper.

I got mine for $2200 several years ago used form some folks on Guames Island.
this is mine below (which I installed a 2 burner stove/sink combo from SMEV).

on my 4 door tundra:

on my old extra cab tundra:

Trip wo SE BC canada

Mt Bachelor Ski Trip

#4 · (Edited)
DKL, I saw a 4 door Tacoma at Cooper this summer with the smallest 4 Wheel pop up camper they make. Nice setup, but loaded he was overweight. Before you buy any camper, weigh your truck with a full tank and just yourself on board. Front axle weight and total. You will probably see the total weight is 5-600 lbs. heavier than what Toyota lists. I went through this on my 2001 Tundra when I bought a Jayco 7' Sportster pop up. With a full tank, full propane bottle and porta potti, It's 250 lbs. over the "gross vehicle weight". It's 250 lbs. under the front axle rating & 700 lbs. under the rear axle rating. Axle rating is more relevant. I added rear Timbrens & front Torklifts, turnbuckles in the back. Toyo AT 2's at 45 lbs. makes for a great ride, very stable. I've made trips to Cooper, Chopaka & 8 outstanding days at Kelly Creek. GVW rating is BS unless you get in an accident, then officer friendly & your insurance company will have a much different opinion! BTW I almost bought a Chariot, but I wanted full headroom, reefer and heater. Do your homework and good luck on your search!

#8 ·
BTW I almost bought a Chariot, but I wanted full headroom, reefer and heater. Do your homework and good luck on your search!
Are you a giant? the inside height where you stand in the roamin chariot is over 7 feet tall. 12v plug-in type cooler works great for a "reefer" if you don't want to use a regular cooler. I installed a 2 burner/sink combo propane stove from SMEV and I also run an Olympian Wave3 heater off of it in my Roamin Chariot.

#5 ·
Thanks, good information. I have a deal in place for a used Phoenix camper and I’m working on mods to get the truck up to snuff to handle it. Any suggestions on where to go to weigh my truck ?

#11 ·
The key word missed in the OPs original post was "Tacoma", what you have won't fit on a Tacoma (weight-wise for sure) What I have will (both weight and dimensionally). Or maybe I can't read your writing. The way you wrote up the description of your setup, is that it is on a Tundra. Do you still have it on a Tundra or now on a Tacoma?

#10 · (Edited)
I agree, apples and oranges. Having had both a tacoma and tundra (with serious after market beefed up suspension). Be carful with over loading a stock suspension tacoma with too much camper and gear. Especially if you ever plan on driving on anything but pavement or very well graded gravel (opinions formed from previously owning 2 tacoma trucks and 1 tundra, having put well over 200K on each of them for work and camping out of all of them numerous days per year for work, and now on my second tundra).

Don't take an over loaded taco here:

or here

or here

#14 ·
Thanks so much for your input, it was of great help. I weighed my truck as suggested, total and each axle, and found I had a little more capacity than expected. I did end up getting the Phoenix camper and just got back from a week of testing it out. Pretty pleased with it. Definitely different than the eurovan camper but mostly in better ways. Airbags helped keep truck level, it drove well and handles the wind much better. Definitely reduced gas mileage but still pretty good.

DKL
Wheel Tire Car Land vehicle Vehicle

#15 ·
BTW, on a totally different note, the image is at the visitor's center in Twin Falls Idaho and that is where the transaction went down. Very cool spot as it is next to the Snake. The bridge right there into town allows jumpers and doesn't require a permit. Pretty cool spot.

#16 ·
Are these pop-ups rated for any type of snow load at all. From the looks id assume not much if any but I'd be curious for specifics if anyone knows. It would certainly be like winter camping....

#17 ·
BTW, on a totally different note, the image is at the visitor's center in Twin Falls Idaho and that is where the transaction went down. Very cool spot as it is next to the Snake. The bridge right there into town allows jumpers and doesn't require a permit. Pretty cool spot.
Looks like you scored a great setup....post some interior pictures when you get a chance. I just looked at their website: 20K for a base model....WOW! They seem to be built right and are definitely light.

#18 ·
Are these pop-ups rated for any type of snow load at all. From the looks id assume not much if any but I'd be curious for specifics if anyone knows. It would certainly be like winter camping....
When I get a foot of snow on mine, I lower it and brush it off. Fresh snow doesn't weigh that much: 10" = 1" of water X 10' by X 6'....you do the math. Just as long as your level....most propane reefers get burnt up by running them when parked out of level.

#22 ·
Here are a few pics for those that were curious. The gal I got it from had the original invoice from the first owner and it mentioned a custom fly rod holder on the outside. I had already been using the little fold out gizmos to hold my rods and thought how convenient that these hold my rods only to find that is what it was specifically designed for. I love that I can sleep in the lower dinette bed with the top down for quick sleep only stops. Nice energy efficient compressor fridge, solar panel on top, instant hot water heater, outside shower, and more storage than I can use due to trying to keep the weight down. The catalytic heater isn't my favorite but it works and is efficient. I installed yakima tracks on top and I think I'm all set. Fridge ran off solar for a week and battery held up and it was overcast and raining most of the week; that is a big upgrade over my eurovan camper. I'm pretty pleased. My wife wants to paint it to match the truck which I'm all for but don't want spend the time doing it. She'll have to do it if it is to ever happen.

Attachments

#24 ·
Perhaps, but the cushion and it's support come out, so you have the full width of the door above that. I think this setup has more area than my van did but it definitely doesn't have the floor space, so I don't imagine putting anything too large in it, such as my cooler. I'd keep something like that in the cab of the truck, especially since the fridge would take care of my food and the cooler would just be their for my catch. I imagine I'll take advantage of the cab to keep certain items in.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.