13ft 7/8wt vs 14' 8wt

Discussion in 'Spey Clave' started by Manimal, Feb 21, 2009.

1. Manimal

Manimal Member

I have been fishing an imperial st croix 13' for a couple years now with a SA short head spey line.

I have now purchased a Sage FLI 8140 14' 8wt, havent bought the reel nor line yet.

Can someone comment on what the major difference will be between the two rods? Why would i choose to fish one over the other?

Any recommendations on line and reel for the sage?

thanks

2. Porter

Porter Active Member

you might want to let people know what sage it is. Many sage spey rods out there all with different actions.

3. Itchy Dog

Itchy Dog Some call me Kirk Werner

Media:
    Home Page:
    Porter, you just needed a second cup of coffee ;)

"Sage FLI 8140 14' 8wt"

4. Red Shed

Red Shed "junkyard spey"

Home Page:
    In my opinion the longer rod would be better on bigger water. It will give you a little more distance and fight the wind better.

A short head spey line in 8/9 or 8/9/10 will work nicely on that rod as will a mid-head in 8/9.

A 4"+ reel weighing 10oz to 11oz empty should balance the FLI nicely and hold a spey line with plenty of backing. The Ross CLA 6 would be a good choice @ a moderat price point.

5. Porter

Porter Active Member

Itchy...you needed to be up before the coffee was poured....he edited long after the third cup.
    :D

6. sothereiwas

sothereiwas Member

Media:
    I'm not to sure about the FLi but that St Croix is wicked with a Mid-Spey 6/7.

7. Panhandle

Panhandle Active Member

Media:
    I actually got rid of my FLI and moved to a shorder rod (13.7 ft) for large river swinging. For me the FLI was too slow and heavy. Heavy, in that my shoulder wanted to fall off after an 8 hour day of holding the rod on the swing. Too slow, in that I've gotten better at spey casting and I've found that I need a faster action for for my personality. That rod just didn't want to pick up tips for me. I always had do dump line on my anchor before I could cast. Maybe it was me, or maybe it was the rod..... probably me.:eek:

8. Erik F. Helm

Erik F. Helm Frozen in the river, speyrod in hand

Funny...
    I played a bit with that rod as well, but found something off in the balance. In the hour I was casting it, I constantly felt as if I was casting a telephone pole. It just seemed hard to move around too. Glad to know I was not alone.

9. Manimal

Manimal Member

thanlks for the input, i'll reel it up atleast and see how it feels for me. The st.croix, for me isnt giving me the distance i thiink i should be getting. Most likely it is my casting, but i just feel like i cant get the forward power with it.

ONE MORE QUESTION ABOUT MY SHORT HEAD SPEY LINE ON THE 13 FOOTER:

Right now it is stock out of the box loaded on my reel. I havent been using any tips for it. I have a set of sinking tips and a floater. Do i need to cut back the original line for using these tips? If so, where? All my tips are RIO 12'.

thanks!

10. inland

inland Active Member

Erik,

I cast Pan's FLI a bit. Same feelings here too. Only line I could make the rod sing was a CND GPS 8/9. Seemed like every other line we tried was just a bit off for what the rod wanted.

William