Bug hatch MF Snoqualmie - what is it?

Well seeing as how someone else bumped this post I'll add a few comments. I too fished through a hatch of this bug on the MF Snoquolmie. At one point I could look downstream through the falling sunlight and see at least a few thousand of these filling the air. I happened to have a near exact match in my fly box (although the tails were much longer) so naturally I tied it on. I got skunked and noted that I did not see a single rise to these guys. I kept asking myself - If the fish aren't eating the real McCoy, why would they go after my imitation? Should I be fishing subsurface emerger variety of something similar (not that I am smart enough to know what it would look like)? I tried some nymphs but in the end was spanked.

What do you do in the situation where you know fish exist but are completely ignoring (on the surface) a hatch?

Of course, I had fun anyway. Felt like mid July last Saturday.

I'm sure I saw the exact same fly on Rattlesnake lake last Sat. I just happened to see one adult dead on the water, but it looked stillborn as it still had the clear upright wings. I noted the 2 tails and the "quilled" looking segmented dark brown/red body. I only saw the one fly not a hatch. Interestingly the only "dry fly" I had any luck at all with (the water was really choppy) was a dark red brown softhackle wet fly fished in the film. Everytime I could get it near a rise form, I had a strike, but not on anything else. I wonder if for whatever reason trout only like the emergers of this species. Of course it's impossible to say as there wasn't a significant hatch of this critter.....

Sourdoughs

-Marc Chapman, icthyoantagonist
Hey, Jim. Interesting that you didn't see or get a fish when you went. Was it the same Friday or the Saturday after?

As I mentioned, my thinking was that some other fisherman had flogged the area, but that may not be the case. If I hadn't seen the two dudes down below, I may have tied on a PT or Hares Ear. Other that that, I have no guess what the fish would come for.

creekx

spent spinner
Its a spinner, probably Epeorus. They hatch pretty heavily in North Idaho and Western Montana this time of year. Epeorus albertae is common and is often mistakenly called a pmd, or even a green drake (see previous report on the Coeur d'Alene River.) The duns do vary in color from yellow to olive, but the spinners have rusty bodies with hyaline wings.

Also, I think the wide/flat head suggests that this mayfly belongs to the "clinger" category, which includes Epeorus.

Taxon

Staff member
troutaholic said:
I'm sure I saw the exact same fly on Rattlesnake lake last Sat. I just happened to see one adult dead on the water, but it looked stillborn as it still had the clear upright wings. I noted the 2 tails and the "quilled" looking segmented dark brown/red body. I only saw the one fly not a hatch. Interestingly the only "dry fly" I had any luck at all with (the water was really choppy) was a dark red brown softhackle wet fly fished in the film. Everytime I could get it near a rise form, I had a strike, but not on anything else. I wonder if for whatever reason trout only like the emergers of this species. Of course it's impossible to say as there wasn't a significant hatch of this critter.....
troutaholic-

What you most likely saw on Rattlesnake Lake was an expired Callibaetis spinner. The wings of the dun are not clear, but rather, are dark with prominent white veins.

Sourdough,

It was Saturday the 28th. Wish I could use the excuse that someone else just the area but I didn't see anyone else fishing although there were a lot of folks in the area. This was higher up - above the big trail head parking lot - which tends to tougher to fish than lower in my limited experience.