Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner

Cedar River Report

3K views 18 replies 15 participants last post by  mtnsldr 
#1 ·
Here's another report from the Cedar this morning:
Cedar River - June 1st, 2005
RECORDED: 71 ° FISHING: Excellent
You don't have to believe me, in fact part of me doesn't want you to, but the Cedar River is incredible right now! Clark, Ibn, and I fished the river from 6:00am to 9:00 am; we hooked approximately 40 fish, 10 of which were 20" or better. You might have noticed that I said hooked, not landed. These Cedar River Rainbows fight better than almost any other Rainbow. Almost all of these fish are in the air right after they feel the hook. We didn't have much time to experiment but the first thing that I tied on, Double Bead Stone with a Lighting dropper produced all morning.

FLIES: Double Bead Stones, Vinyl Lightning, Gold Bead Yellow Sally
SEE OUR PHOTO GALLERY FOR A FEW EXAMPLES OF THIS MORNING'S FISH.

Anil
www.pugetsoundflyco.com

#3 ·
I hit it again this afternoon from 2-6, it was still fishing well, no suprise there. Most of my fish were caught nymphing Lightning Bugs and caddis. I had a hard time keeping the whitefish off so I could haul in some trout. I talked to 3 other guys who were having tough days, all were fishing dries. No really big fish but plenty in the 10-14inch range.

#4 ·
Anil said:
Here's another report from the Cedar this morning:
Cedar River Clark, Ibn, and I fished the river from 6:00am to 9:00 am; we hooked approximately 40 fish, 10 of which were 20" or better.
damn I was feeling kinda pumped up about my 13"ers until I read this! 10 over 20"............holy cow. That is awesome.

I was gonna post a thread about the fish being seemingly smaller this year compared to last year but now I feel like a turd..........you have convinced me otherwise....I just gotta try harder.

I agree about the bug selection........all mine were right down on bottom on nymphs, I couldn't buy a surface grab.

thanks for the report Anil.

#6 ·
My Dad and I got out there today, and fished between Landsburg and the first old RR bridge. Saw some smolts taking bugs on the surface, saw some flashes of feeding fish in pools behind rocks, but try as we did, not a single fish ended up on the end of our lines....

But, for some reason, during that three hours, I felt like a kid again!

The river looked fantastic, and I was prepared for the worst. Garbage was minimal. It looked like the Cedar of the early 1970s (when I was a kid and fished there a lot).

Damn, if you can, get out and fish with your Dad! He will enjoy it as well.

Macker

#7 ·
size 10 stimulator with yellow sally dropper was a killer combo this afternoon. Fish landed on both dry and nymph. I fished the banks after big pools with much success on the dry. Seemed like the fish were willing to try something on the surface today. Quantity and quality, it was a great day of fishing.

#9 ·
Fished the past two days; nymphing (grhe, pt, copper johns) the was the key for me. Hooked a few big guys in the deeper pools on buggers which provided nice jumps and a good bend in the 3wt and landed many 8 to12 inchers. Got a nice little cutt on a soft hackle to mix in with all the bows. The river looked in pretty good shape. Also got to "talk" to WDWF both days; nice to see they are out there enforcing.

#12 ·
I have fished the river the last three days and I agree, the fish are there and willing. Catching fish from 6-17 inches. Smaller stone flies (10) and prince nymphs under a strike indicator has been working for me.
Plan to be there again on Saturday (super early) and possibly Sunday.
I'm fishing in the early morning by the golf course area. My white exlorper is up off the road.
I may have ran into some of you already, guess I should start asking if you WFF'ers.

see you in the morning!

#14 ·
This is really lame for a Cedar report but.....I just had a quick 30 minute window in the am..........took two on my first 5 casts, both on size 16 lightnin' bugs with a tiny shot about 18" from the nymph.

I had two surface strikes............on my indicator......

One of the fish must have been on steroids...the little bugger was only 10" but he tore out of the hole like he had a firecracker up his butt.

I also had a chance to try out my new Rio nymph line with the orange indicator tip....I used just that as the indy and it seems to work very nicely..it roll-cast really well! I didn't catch anything using the new line yet but tomorrow it will get more use.....hope you all caught some monsters today.

#15 ·
So what should I be using for the late afternoon and for the morning. I was using a beedhead tonight and i had nothing but a nice can, it was a mountain dew so I wasnt that upset. Should I be using a float line, sink, caddis, what? Any help would be great. I saw about 20 fish tonight, but they werent hungry or I didnt have what they wanted. But I know that cant be it.

#16 ·
I joined Mark Radway (The Radman) on the Cedar Saturday morning. We fished 5 spots from Jones Road to the Library and only saw about 8 other flyfishermen and one group of spin casters. No fears about the big crowds as I am sure that the Saturday after opening is about as bad as it would get. We hooked about 15 fish and landed probably 9. These bows, as reported, are HOT. They jump, turn, and circle until they pop off! No kidding guys, these fish are fighters! We used size 6 brown stones with multiple droppers (size 14-16): lightning bugs, yellow-sally nymphs, and a new nymph that looks like a yeelow/lime prince. All these flies produced equally well. I have to say that I feel lucky to have this resources so close to us. I am glad that the clean-up was planned to keep this resource beautiful and to show our concern for the river.

By the way, the library section has about 4,000 (not kidding) sucker fish in it right now. It's quite a site! Lucky you can still drift those holes without snagging as they hold tight on the bottom. Take your split shot off as you will snag them if you are bouncing the bottom. The rainbows will come up to hit your fly.

Once again, Thanks to Puget Sound Fly Company, Chris Scoones, and Wet Lines (Dave) for planning the event! :thumb:

#17 ·
Mingo said:
I also had a chance to try out my new Rio nymph line with the orange indicator tip....I used just that as the indy and it seems to work very nicely..it roll-cast really well! I didn't catch anything using the new line yet but tomorrow it will get more use.....hope you all caught some monsters today.
Hey Mingo, were you just using a single nymph? I'm curious how that line holds out with bigger flies or some split. Have you tried it with a big double stone, or something heavier? Does the line start sinking under the weight?

Thanks!
-Ib

#18 ·
ibn said:
Hey Mingo, were you just using a single nymph? I'm curious how that line holds out with bigger flies or some split. Have you tried it with a big double stone, or something heavier? Does the line start sinking under the weight?

Thanks!
-Ib
Ibn I used a single lightning bug with a tiny shot with my Mastery Trout line at first, that was what took the two fish.....using a small green indicator. With the Rio I also used just one weighted nymph with no additional shot, a size 12 red squirrel bh w/ rubber sparkle legs....but no hits.. ( I am out of stones so that was the closest I could come) that nymph sinks pretty quickly and the orange tip stayed up on top, just like the ads say....but I have not added any weight yet so that will be a good test for it! I hope it works , it's fun not to have to add an indicator................

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.