14ft intermediate polyleaders

Discussion in 'Saltwater' started by rustybee, Jul 8, 2014.

1. rustybee

rustybee Active Member

Went into my LFS asking about beach fishing for coho with a switch rod and was told that the 14ft Airflo intermediate polyleader would work well with my setup (TCX 7100-4 with 10wt Ambush lines). Several outings later, I've had serious problems trying to turnover the leader (fishing small saltwater streamers) even in low wind conditions. I am assuming it's not the cast itself as my flyline unrolls well enough... Leader turns over partially before collapsing onto itself. I've now been told that 10ft is as long as I want to go, and been advised by the shop to trim the back taper down. No problem with this, but wondering what rod/line combos out there have turned over a 14ft intermediate polyleader. Don't want yo custom trim this and would rather go out and buy the right length... Just worried there isn't any real world application and will have to end up trimming the 14ft anyways sometime down the road.

Thanks in advance!

2. Bagman

Bagman Active Member

A TCX 7100-4 is not really a switch rod, but a long single hand rod. It can be used as a two handed overhead casting rod, but it is design to be used with a 185 grain head. The Ambush 10 weight is 400 grains at 24 feet. That's a lot for that rod I'm sure it can handle it but you really need to be good. If it were me I would get a Rio Outbound WF8I short, then just use a Fluorocarbon 15lb leader. I find if I'm dumping my leader and fly it is because I need to slow down my forward cast.

rustybee likes this.
  3. rustybee

rustybee Active Member

Point taken. The Ambush 10 is too heavy to be SH casted. Wulff recommends 3wt upsize for Scandi style casting with the rod and 4wt upsize for Skagit style casting. Tried the 14ft polyleader with my ZAxis 8110-4 switch as well with the same result (nice tight loops too!). Both rod/line combos worked well with 10ft polyleaders... Just not the 14. Anyone use one and if so in what application?

4. underachiever

underachiever !

Media:
    I use 14ft poly's with my 12'6" 6wt beulah. Not in the salt and generally not with really heavy flies either.

rustybee likes this.
  5. Pat Lat

Pat Lat Mad Flyentist

Media:
    I pretty much only use the 14ft with an ambush. On my 9'ft 7wt I actually prefer a 6wt ambush for overhand because of the added weight of the polyleader and fly. With two hand casting you dont have the extra weight of the tip loading the rod Because it is not part of the d loop but rather the anchor.
    So on a 7100tcx the 7wt ambush would be just about right for me.
    I usually have no problem turning over to the tippet. I think you might just need a bit less weight and more line speed.

rustybee likes this.
  6. golfman44

golfman44 Active Member

Media:
    That line is wayyyyy to heavy

7. fredaevans

fredaevans Active Member

I think the 'problem' here is a 14 foot is just too long for a shorter rod to handle. Another 'clue' to this is the same leader, at 10 foot, appears to work just fine.

8. Pat Lat

Pat Lat Mad Flyentist

Media:
    When attached to an ambush line the poly leader finishes off the short taper nicely. on an overhand shooting line I don't think the length of the leader is the problem in the equation. That is assumig the cast is overhand, in spey casting I can see a longer tip having a hard time being pulled off the water.

rustybee likes this.
  9. rustybee

rustybee Active Member

No problems with pulling the tip out of the water (since it is only an intermediate sink).

Hey Pat. Thanks for the helpful post (especially since you have personal experience with Ambush). Will try a lighter line and and report back.

10. Blake Harmon

Blake Harmon Active Member

Media:
    I fish a 10ft 7wt echo ion and a 9ft 6wt tfo pro each with corrosponding ambush lines and each with matching intermediate polytips (14')and they sail. 10wt ambush is just way too much overline. Even for a blank like the tcx when you think about total grains

rustybee likes this.
  11. Pat Lat

Pat Lat Mad Flyentist

Media:
    Ive also been using scandi short body heads and a gripshooter line. You can get them in all different grain windows, and they have int and sink as well.. the loop to loop is very small and barely noticable, If you want to try it out I have a 235 ambush, 265 scandi 305 scandi and a 320 skagit, fished on 6-9 wt rods. let me know if you want to give em a try. Ill be on the beach more and more as summer heats up.

rustybee likes this.
  12. rustybee

rustybee Active Member

Thanks for the addition info Blake. Thanks for the offer Pat. Will hit up a few buddies local to me first. Tight lines!

13. Bagman

Bagman Active Member

Rustybee, I don't know if you have solved your problem or not, but I got to thinking about it a little. I have not tried the polytips but have done some research on them. As I understand they are a weight forward line to be used like a leader with a short piece of tippet? From what I have read the polytips hing towards the loop on the main line. On the Ambush line there is a section of hing as well. Could the 14 foot polytip have a longer section of hing and cause the problem your seeing? I have a 10 wt Ambush line that had a bad spot just behind the loop. I cut about 41/2 feet off the end and made a loop myself so I could use different tips. I have yet to try it so I can't say if it works or not. I'm on the North East end of the Kipsap Peninsula if you would like to give it a try sometime.