14lb Madison Brown

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by yuhina, Nov 4, 2008.

1. Jason Decker Active Member

Issaquah, WA
    Ratings: +1 / 0
    wow, i feel the jealousy coursing through my veins.........
    scoones needs to put this one on homepage rotation!
  2. HauntedByWaters Active Member

Bellingham
    Ratings: +103 / 0
    I lived in Bozeman for 2 years and fished the Madison almost exclusively for big browns in the Fall. It is funny because I tell people I got an 8 pounder and they always think I am full of it.

I would see a fish in the 10 pound range follow my fly every few trips and it was always a heart stopper. I would swing and strip huge flies and pretty much use steelhead gear since that was what I was used to on my home waters. These huge fish would follow the fly like a menace and than pass on the end of the swing almost every time.

That 8 pounder was the biggest I got but I saw bigger with a regularity, it is just getting them to bite that is nearly impossible.

The Madison is truly a legendary river and any flyfisherman MUST fish it at some point in their life.

And a tip, leave those small flies at home if you want to see what this river has to offer above all the rest.

And another, find the bigger deeper pools (ignore all the little pockets everywhere).
  3. rainbow My name is Mark Oberg

Renton wa
    Ratings: +78 / 0
    So cool. A fish of a lifetime. Is it going to get mounted?.
  4. David Dalan 69°19'15.35" N 18°44'22.74" E

Walla Walla, WA
    Ratings: +737 / 0
    Hah! That's a shaker. Can't believe he bothered to land it. I'd have cut my leader in disgust.
  5. John Hicks Owner and operator of Sea Run Pursuits

Olympia
    Ratings: +180 / 1
    Mark, truly epic, truly epic.
  6. jkold Member

Bellingham, WA
    Ratings: +0 / 0
    Hell Ya! Way to go man!!
  7. awsome just awsome!
  8. Jim Wallace Smells like low tide

Somewhere on the Coast
    Ratings: +540 / 0
  9. Cole Member

Middle USA
    DAMN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  10. rockymountain_brown Senore Member

Montana.
    I have fished that same spot through Q lake many times. Nice fish, never seen anything near that big though.
  11. BDD Active Member

Ellensburg, WA
    Ratings: +216 / 2
    Unlike most, I'm NOT facinated with big browns but readily admit that is a big fish.

Was it released?

He mentions he landed it alone so we assume he used a self timing camera to take the picture?
  12. Ed Call Mumbling Moderator

Kitsap Peninsula
    Ratings: +1,355 / 9
    Holy moses, I think i just shat myself, that is a freaking pig.
  13. ak_powder_monkey Proud to Be Alaskan

Eagle River, Alaska
    Ratings: +112 / 0
    Somewhere in the icy deep Beneth a mossy crown lies the queen of the river by the name of madison brown madison brown....
  14. mike doughty Honorary Member

the uinta's
    Ratings: +5 / 0
    he was not alone. a friend of his grizz took the pic and yes it was released
  15. Coach Duff Banned or Parked

Kailua Hawaii
    Ratings: +6 / 0
    That is the Alpha Brown on that beat. That thing is so fat it thinks gravy is a beverage! What a goon! Nice work boys! Duffer
  16. Jack Murphy Member

East Wenatchee, WA
    Dear Lord!

I caught a large brown about 10 years ago in a Washington lake. I had cast toward the shore with a floating line and a wooley bugger. The bugger was not weighted and it was the first cast so it just sat on the film for a second. I reached in my pocket looking for my Zink when all hell broke loose near the shore. My rod shot out of my right hand and I caught it with my left and the fight was on.

It was 21" and had gnarly, beastly teeth. I can't imagine what that Madison fish felt like.
  17. Randall Dee Castaway

Cascadia
    Ratings: +16 / 0
    Shee-ott! What do they feed em' out there, high fructose corn syrup?:beer2:
  18. Ian Broadie Flyfishing is so "Metal"

Kirkland, Washington
    Ratings: +57 / 0
    as Tiny Elvis would say "Look at that sucka!...... Sucka's huge!" :beer2:
  19. Winter run New Member

On the river near you
    HOLY SHEEEEEEEIIITTTTT I think they would have to bury me right there I'd have a heart attack.

NICE FISHY:thumb::thumb::thumb::thumb::thumb::thumb::thumb::thumb::thumb::thumb::thumb::beer2:
  20. jeff bandy Make my day

Edmonds, Wa.
    Ratings: +276 / 1
    What do you do after that? You can't think you will ever top it. I hope I get a chance to find out for my self, some day .
    Jeff