15 second hook up

Discussion in 'Stillwater' started by KenPCPilot, May 17, 2011.

1. KenPCPilot New Member

Olympia, WA
    Ratings: +0 / 0
    I started out in the sunshine with partly cloudy skies at Munn Lake in Olympia. I was using a sinking tip line and black wooley bugger. I usually let out the line all at once at least past the sinking tip before slow troll. I started rowing and in 3 strokes my line went taut. Thinking I had snagged the bottom I pulled hard on the pole only to have it pull back. I ended up landing a nice 13-14 inch fish that put on a nice fight. I don't think I will ever catch a fish that fast even if I was fishing in the rearing ponds at the hatchery. Within 15 minutes tiny Munn lake was whipped into almost white capping frenzy from wind then heavy rain. I swear I was making an impressive wake behind my Bucks Bag potoon boat as the wind blew me (thankfully straight back to the launch). I have never been so lucky and unlucky on the same trip. Weird!!
  2. Wayne Kohan fish-ician

TriCities, WA
    Ratings: +72 / 0
    I don't like quick hookups. I think they are a bad omen of things ot come for the day. I've had that quick hook up be the only fish of the day multiple times.

wayne
  3. robl Member

Richland WA
    Ratings: +5 / 0
    Two years ago my dad and I were fishing for steelhead. He landed two big steelhead on his first two casts. We fished hard for 10 more hours and covered miles of water and never had another take. Brutal!
  4. RobZfishrman New Member

Lake Stevens Wa
    Ratings: +0 / 0
    Seems like half the time I leave the launch area I'll get a hookup. I usually have my gear ready to go so I'll throw in to wet the fly and stretch the line and before that task is complete I'll be happily interupted.
    I consider it a good omen.
  5. Tim Lockhart Working late at The Office

Mill Creek, WA
    Ratings: +219 / 0
    Quick hookups are fine. I just keep a little penicillin on hand.